Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Targa Wheels Painting, Bolt Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Rdelvalle
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Targa Wheels Painting, Bolt Removal?

I am going to paint my Targa wheels as they have several scratches and nicks. I have two questions:

1- I am considering using shrink tubing on the bolts to mask them and not remove them to paint the wheels. Of course the best would be to remove the bolts but I am afraid of messing them up.

Should I remove them? If so any tips on how to remove them without damaging them. I have not found a tight fit with any hex key or any other tool and the fit is shallow. They are very tight and there are 100 of them. I will not mind taking the 100 out if I knew they were not going to be damaged. From the postings it looks as if you cannot get them if damaged and they are very easy to damage.

2- For paint I am considering using Glasurit but the clear coat only comes in a 5 Liter container which is very expensive and there will be a lot residual clear coat. The other is PPG but I think it is an inferior paint?

Any advice on brand, and if Glasurit any tips? Do you need a hardener for the Glasurit clear coat? I want the best paint and I am leaning towards the Glasurit.

[img] http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/x...g?t=1328491659 [/img]
Old 02-05-2012, 11:45 PM
bingjeep
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Porsche offers paper covers for the bolts on the Targa wheels through their parts department. I had mine refinished and the shop used them along with the PPG paint and they turned out very nice.

Quick Reply: Targa Wheels Painting, Bolt Removal?