Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help...Can't remove this SOB bolt (SUCCESS!!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012 | 02:53 PM
axl911
Drifting

Mike,

You gotta tell me what's the brand and part number of this thing so I can get one!!!

Originally Posted by Mike J
My daughter made me a sign to hang by my desk "He who dies with the most tools...wins!!"

What you guys cannot see is there are two permanent earth magnets built in to the holder for the wrench, so once the wrench is snapped in, it feels just like a longer wrench. When you tie two wrenches together, there is slop between the wrenches, and it sometimes makes for an awkward time getting it on the fastener. As well, this has a nice handle on the end for when you are really reefing on something.

I am not saying I use it all the time, but when I do use it, its comfortable and really works. Guys who visit the shop and have used it remark on how comfortable it is to pull on - the handle is not like many box and open end wrenches these days with their slim designs that actually are uncomfortable to really pull on.

Cheers

Mike
Old 02-05-2012 | 04:48 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

I use a good quality box wrench, I grind it a bit to I can slip it in because it's awful tight there, use something like Kriol, and this:

Cheers,

Mike
Mike,
Quality and craftsmanship on mine is "almost there", but it's was cheap and works well most of the time
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2012 | 06:41 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

That's a cool extension, must have! I tend to avoid adjustable wrenchs though unless it's a last resort.
Old 02-05-2012 | 07:16 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Mike,
Quality and craftsmanship on mine is "almost there", but it's was cheap and works well most of the time
I used an extension bar 4-5X that length
Old 02-05-2012 | 09:09 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah, Yeah... hear the jealously already...

Look, I grew up in sawmills and did my fair share of millwrighting. I have various pipes, tubes, extensions, several sledgehammers, prybars (one 6" long and weight about 80lbs).... so I have done the pipe extensions and all.

I just thought this tools was kindof neat - here is the reference.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,43456,43407

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-05-2012 | 09:10 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Handle to the floor jack works great... just saying.
Old 02-06-2012 | 12:40 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jeff96-993
Handle to the floor jack works great... just saying.
+1
Old 02-06-2012 | 12:32 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Yeah, Yeah... hear the jealously already...

Look, I grew up in sawmills and did my fair share of millwrighting. I have various pipes, tubes, extensions, several sledgehammers, prybars (one 6" long and weight about 80lbs).... so I have done the pipe extensions and all.

I just thought this tools was kindof neat - here is the reference.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,43456,43407

Cheers,

Mike
Just ordered it, got the last one, sorry guys... just kidding, I'm sure they have more.
Old 02-06-2012 | 10:58 PM
krswen
Track Day

Unfortunately, here in the Peoples Republic of California we're not allowed to buy Kroil. Anybody know of a "legal" substitute that's nearly as good? And Kroil has a great Google sale going right now too!
Old 02-06-2012 | 11:12 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

If you want something you can run to the store and grab off the shelf, try Break Free. Most gun shops carry this. I hear they are really good also.
Old 02-07-2012 | 11:38 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 963K993
Just wrestled with this same bugger yesterday. I removed the other hex bolt first which allowed me to move the whole bracket up and down. Doing this helped align the head so I could get an opened end wrench on it from the passenger side. I managed to break it loose and get about a 1/2" turn on it by pushing up on the wrench and the bracket at the same time. I also took off the heat shield which I think is the blurry thing at the bottom of your photo and then was able to get the wrench on it from that side. After switching from side to side it got loose enough to slide the bracket out. Expect to lose a little knuckle skin.
Great advice!! After being unsuccessful with other methods, I tried your method along with the Kroil, and it worked!! The bolt didn't get too banged up either. Thank-you all
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Help...Can't remove this SOB bolt (SUCCESS!!)