Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
View Poll Results: What would you roll with on a Black C4S? Amber or Euro Clear turn signals?
Amber
30.61%
Euro Clear
69.39%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Amber or Euro? The Turn signal DIY

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 01:41 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Amber or Euro? The Turn signal DIY

I inherited a set of Euro clear turn signal lights from the previous owner. Packed up in a box, still wrapped in that clingy plastic film; basically a BRAND new set. So, I had this idea of asking Rennlist what lamps I should install on the car. The Euro clear? Or the OE amber? But before posting pics to support the poll, I needed to convert the Euro lamps to fit my US bumpers ~ Basically shorten them. Which gave me an opportunity to do my first DIY vid!

After a closer inspection of these brand-spankin' new lights, and a few test fits on the bumper; it was obvious that these are really crappy aftermarket replicas. Even the bulb sockets do not make a full seal when installed. I also noticed that there is a hair-line crack in the lens on the left side!! So, just a side note, if you're going to do this mod, start with a genuine Porsche part that's not broken! I will need to redo the DIY in the future with some proper parts if the vote sways to do clears!! No sweat though, it was still a great run through ~ and a nice way to get my feet wet with a set of lamps I didn't care too much about. Plus, it's going to be interesting to hear what you guys think!

The DIY:

Here is a list of tools you'll need to complete this project:

Euro 993 turn signals
Hacksaw with a new blade
Saw cutting guide (not necessary)
Pencil or Sharpie
Scissors
Painter's masking tape
A tube of silicone sealant
A philips screw driver
Shop towels or a clean rag
Tinsnips ~ just incase you need to trim additional plastic.

With a philips head screw driver, Remove the original lamps from the bumper. Once the screw is out, pull the unit to the front of the car to slide it out. Using masking tape, tape off the whole lens to create a template. I marked it off using a pencil around the lamp, as well as punched a hole where the screw is located. With scissors, I then cut off the excess tape.

Carefully peal off the tape guide you created, and transfer it onto the Euro lamp. Take care with this step, to try to retain the measurements you just made. I found it was easiest to align the screw hole first and then the rest of the light. You should now have a general idea of what you'll be hacking off.

Prepare to cut the lamp fixture. I used a cutting guide, but I don't think this is necessary. As long as*you are able to clamp down the lamp securely, or have someone hold it for you so it doesn't move around. The hacksaw cut through the plastic like butter ~* it was quite effortless. (because they're Chinese knockoffs maybe??..ha).

Clean up the cut to eliminate any plastic saw dust, also ensure none got inside the lamp. Now you can prepare to use silicone to seal the fixture. In my case, I was a bit nervous that a single bead of silicone wasn't going to give me a proper seal. To remedy this, I had some thin, scrap plastic laying around, and so I cut out a small piece to fill the hole.* Once the silicone is in place, using a wet cloth, I wiped away any access that was left behind.

Wait the required time for the silicone to dry (in my case roughly 30 mins), and pull off the template masking tape. Inspect your work, and also test fit on the car!!

Rinse, lather, repeat for the other side!

BOOOOM Done! You now have modified Euro clear signals to install on your Porsche with US bumpers!

So what do you think?? What one should I roll with? Euro clear? or OE Amber?

Last edited by boman993; 02-01-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:58 PM
tommyg
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice write-up and work Jakob!
Old 02-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

My vote is for Euro clear.

btw - nice video too, so professional!
Old 02-01-2012, 02:14 PM
firesm
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The production quality of your videos as stated before is excellent. I have a set of Porsche euro signal lights sitting in a box in the garage, but I'll be taking the bumperettes out of the bumper and filling the holes instead of cutting the lights, as I hate the look of those silly bumperettes. I'd obviously vote for the clears, but a shot of your car from farther back might help some people decide. I look forward to your next video.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:18 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow. Great video!
Old 02-01-2012, 06:36 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Nice work!!!
Old 02-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Priceless
Racer

That was great. I favor the amber color for some reason???
Old 02-02-2012, 01:45 AM
DFC4S
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amber, great job on the video.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:15 AM
boman993
Drifting

Thanks for the positive comments everyone!! I'm having a great time making
these videos..I have so much more to document!

Originally Posted by Priceless
That was great. I favor the amber color for some reason???
Originally Posted by DFC4S
Amber, great job on the video.
Even though the euro is clearly winning...I think I'm also leaning amber!! Maybe if
there is a way to split the lenses from the housings and paint the chrome gunmetal
or something....I feel like the euro lamps stand out a bit too much on a black
car..
Old 02-03-2012, 02:04 AM
DFC4S
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the clear would look good if the euro look is completed on both bumpers... Loose the bumperettes on the front - fill the holes and back - install euro rear bumper and install the amber lights)
Old 02-03-2012, 02:15 AM
andrewlunka
Instructor

got to go clear
Old 02-03-2012, 04:22 AM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice vid Mr. Art Director, now can you do a engine out and disassemble DIY video?

-nels
Old 02-03-2012, 10:53 AM
boman993
Drifting

Originally Posted by DFC4S
I think the clear would look good if the euro look is completed on both bumpers... Loose the bumperettes on the front - fill the holes and back - install euro rear bumper and install the amber lights)
Great minds think alike...and all in good time!! I'm beginning to fully understand
the term "slippery slope"! Bumperette delete is definitely on my list of things to
do..but probably not until 2013.

Originally Posted by nels415
Nice vid Mr. Art Director, now can you do a engine out and disassemble DIY video?

-nels
Hahaha thanks Nels..engine drop is not in the plans this year. I'm sure when it's
clutch time there will be some engine droppin', disassembly/assembly going on!

Old 02-03-2012, 11:37 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IIRC, this was discussed/done some years back in the 968 forum, since the markers were very similar.

Quick Reply: Amber or Euro? The Turn signal DIY