Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How often does a 993 typically need a top end rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 10:03 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Chris, if I understand correctly, a leakdown test will not necessarily reveal worn valve guides.

As to oil consumption cited by several RLers above, my 95 that puked its valve guides at 40k burnt a quart every 300 miles while driven in the City -- real city driving. But on long trips to L.A. and back, it did not burn a measurable amount. Point being, not burning oil doesn't mean your guides aren't toasted. It simply means there may not be a need to do anything about it.

So, OP, if the car you're looking at hasn't had its guides done, they probably are worn. But that doesn't necessarily mean they need to be replaced immediately or that you'll burn too much oil, whatever "not too much" is (and depending on how the car is used, in part). But it may be wise to budget a top end to be done the next time the car needs a clutch....
Old 06-21-2012, 10:20 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by inkatouring

As to oil consumption cited by several RLers above, my 95 that puked its valve guides at 40k burnt a quart every 300 miles while driven in the City -- real city driving. But on long trips to L.A. and back, it did not burn a measurable amount. Point being, not burning oil doesn't mean your guides aren't toasted. It simply means there may not be a need to do anything about it.
Good point. A lot of weekend cars may burn little or no oil given their usage pattern.

Also, different brands of oil can vary in 'burn rate' by 50% (or more.)

I've seen both cases with my own car.

Quick Reply: How often does a 993 typically need a top end rebuild?