Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you could buy any 993 for sale on the open market, which would it be?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 01:57 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd take that orange car in a heartbeat...
Old 01-28-2012, 02:35 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The spirit of this thread was to understand better the market in the U.S. for "high end" 993s. My theory is that the number of widebodies in particular - C2S, C4S, TT with low mileage and truly pristine - have dwidndled quite a bit in recent years. I have been looking/itching as of late, and surprised at the lack of inventory. PCA.org, autotrader, cars.com, ebay, high end dealers, the typical sources. Sure there are a few out there, but I dont see much. I can remember in years past, it being more of a budget issue than an availability issue -i.e. there was always plenty candy at RPM, Truspeed, private sellers, etc. With this thread, I just thought that I would see if there is interesting stuff out there and what the price points are at. There are a handful of ultra low mileage TT on the market, all crazy money $80k+. Dont see many C2S cars, Premier has one that is interesting. Would take something special to draw me away from my current fun color car, but when I looked, I expected I would see more.

Lots of great cars on this thread, not sure how many of them qualify as "for sale in the U.S."
Old 01-28-2012, 02:58 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
My theory is that the number of widebodies in particular - C2S, C4S, TT with low mileage and truly pristine - have dwidndled quite a bit in recent years.
Agreed, however proportionally I think the same thing is true for NB 993 (manual coupes) as well. I'd guess that at least 30-40% of original US allocation has left the country. One only has to look at the lack of MY92-94 964 manual coupes for sale (at any price) as evidence the same thing will happen to 993's in a few years. In 3-4 years sub 30k mileage NB coupes will be $50k+ and WB's will be $60k+
Old 01-28-2012, 03:01 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
The spirit of this thread was to understand better the market in the U.S. for "high end" 993s. My theory is that the number of widebodies in particular - C2S, C4S, TT with low mileage and truly pristine - have dwidndled quite a bit in recent years. I have been looking/itching as of late, and surprised at the lack of inventory. PCA.org, autotrader, cars.com, ebay, high end dealers, the typical sources. Sure there are a few out there, but I dont see much. I can remember in years past, it being more of a budget issue than an availability issue -i.e. there was always plenty candy at RPM, Truspeed, private sellers, etc.
Jonathon, I think what you're seeing is the tail end of a bad economy. The cars that had to be sold to generate cash-flow were sold over the last three years and those sales brought prices down to their current levels. I also think that people with pristine, low mileage examples that didn't need to sell them, held on to them until they felt the market coming back and are now trying to 'make up for lost time/profit' trying to push the market back up to where they think it should have been in a 'normal' economy but as you probably know, that is a flawed way of thinking and creates what I call 'shop worn' inventory, meaning nice products that just sit, and sit and sit because the sellers are asking way too much money for them, prices that are two or three years ahead of the market. I see this in real estate all the time .. it's truly a waste of time and money and has nothing to do with reality, it's just speculation. Having said that, every year adds mileage and wear to cars that are driven and by default, that continues to reduce the available supply and of course, the price difference between an 18K mile car and a 25K mile car can be HUGE and the value, IMHO is just not there. I'd much rather have a well maintained low-mid mileage car than an extremely low mileage example that probably needs $10K worth of maintenance and seals replaced due to lack of use.
Here's a nice example of a Turbo that just came on the market that's probably priced correctly IMHO for mileage and condition, nice colors and looks like a 'no stories' kind of car. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...84.m1423.l2649 I think this is reality, the super low mile cars, i.e. under 15K miles, are extremes and are generally being held as investment properties by people who don't drive them or even consider them cars.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:38 PM
aweb108
Intermediate

Default This one for sure

Sloancars...
http://sloancars.com/2679/1997-993-t...ck-7945-miles/
Old 01-28-2012, 06:25 PM
911priest
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by aweb108
-That is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. Stunning.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:00 AM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 408 Likes on 123 Posts

I vote for this car: http://www.cvluxurycars.com/1996-Por...ackonBlack.htm

Quick Reply: If you could buy any 993 for sale on the open market, which would it be?