Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 Mechanics south of Boston

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 12:39 PM
levtron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats for the DE - Which is going on the track, like NHIS, Lime Rock, Watkins, etc.

You want to sign up for Autocross, which both NER and NCR run at Fort Devens, an old airfield, like Mike mentioned. I would join http://www.motorsportreg.com/ and sign up for events within 200 miles for DE and Autocross.

See you there!!!!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 02:44 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Car control clinic is a good thing but it's a lot of theory and a little bit of exercise at NJIS parking lot. Not a bad day to learn the car a bit.

Most autocross clubs (NCR, NER, BMWCCA, Renegade Miata) put on their own day-long and very inexpensive ($30-40) schools as well as a professional (and expensive, $200+) Evolution school. You would want to try art least one or two of these. They give you plenty of seat time and some very good instructions. Seat time is paramount in autocross.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:58 AM
ferik
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I haven't seen one open for registration save for the Clinic i registered for in May. Waiting for signup to open up. Let me know if you see anything a noob should sign up for in the next few months.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:23 PM
holsen12
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Ferik -

I've been 'discovering' my new-to-me C4S in layers... I recently had some meetings in Concord, and took I-128 which included some long sweep turns at 80+mph... car has some gremlins: Tracks stright enough but in the long sweep turns, has some vibration harmonics that feels a bit drive-train derived. I'm pretty sure the wheels could use a balance job (road force, of course) and then a detailed alignment.
Dirvers front rotor is slightly warped and induces some shimmy when braking. Overall, my '92 MBZ Sport Line Coupe is much better at higher speeds than this little guy. I'll get this sorted out at EPE and then we'll see what's what.

The C4S has a Aero Package II on it, and the tail looks lik ewhat came on the 993 TT S. However, this one is all fiberglass, and has zero gaskets which makes it noisy and rattley... Any suggestions ! The 993 parts catalog shows gaskets for both the stock and turbo engine lids... but not knowing what the lip contour looks like (for those) I don't know if they would work.

Ferik - If you're up for it, I'd love to get together just to check out your C4S to see what's missing on mine... hit me on holsen12@yahoo.com if you can...
Old 02-16-2012, 04:32 PM
holsen12
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadeye
"BTW, if you are a PCA member, there are two chapters active around Boston - NER and NCR. Autocross season starts in April if you want to come hang out or actually autocross your car."

Careful, it was a little message similar to this a few years ago from Mike that started my plummeting down the slippery slope.
I used to do some SCCA Solo II in Nebraska when I was in college... super fun until the old guys showed up with Sunbeam Tigers and slicks on trailers. Whooped my *** pretty good. I'd love to do it some more !!!

Do you have a link for dates/locations ? I'd just like to show up for the first one, and then see...
Old 02-17-2012, 09:14 AM
ferik
Rennlist Member

Will do but it won't be ready before mid-march.

Erik

Originally Posted by holsen12
Hey Ferik -

I've been 'discovering' my new-to-me C4S in layers... I recently had some meetings in Concord, and took I-128 which included some long sweep turns at 80+mph... car has some gremlins: Tracks stright enough but in the long sweep turns, has some vibration harmonics that feels a bit drive-train derived. I'm pretty sure the wheels could use a balance job (road force, of course) and then a detailed alignment.
Dirvers front rotor is slightly warped and induces some shimmy when braking. Overall, my '92 MBZ Sport Line Coupe is much better at higher speeds than this little guy. I'll get this sorted out at EPE and then we'll see what's what.

The C4S has a Aero Package II on it, and the tail looks lik ewhat came on the 993 TT S. However, this one is all fiberglass, and has zero gaskets which makes it noisy and rattley... Any suggestions ! The 993 parts catalog shows gaskets for both the stock and turbo engine lids... but not knowing what the lip contour looks like (for those) I don't know if they would work.

Ferik - If you're up for it, I'd love to get together just to check out your C4S to see what's missing on mine... hit me on holsen12@yahoo.com if you can...
Old 02-17-2012, 01:16 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

There is NER autocross school, I believe April 1st. If the snow is off the ground and the temps are decent, I'll probably end up instructing. You guys might want to try it, as this will give you plenty of seat time, some decent learning and a lot of understanding of what autocross is about.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:20 PM
ferik
Rennlist Member

I don't think registration is open for that one yet, if I recall correctly it opens March 1st.

Quick Reply: 993 Mechanics south of Boston