Sponsored by:

Best option today for HiFi speaker upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 01:34 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Best option today for HiFi speaker upgrade

Did a search and most of the threads are over 5 years old. I have a blown woofer and feel its time to upgrade all the speakers in any case. The car has the HiFi option and the PO installed a Sony headunit. Planning on keeping the Nokia amp and just replacing the drivers.

Are Focal, Boston Acoustics or MB Quartet still the best options?

Whats the trick to remove the tweeter cover in the doors to avoid breaking the tabs?
Old 01-25-2012, 05:43 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Not surprisingly, the answer is dependent on what you want to spend.

I was able to jam 3-way component Dynaudio with the mid-low and mid speakers and crossover network in the space where the HiFi "tub" used to live.
Tweeter removal is best done with the door covers off. I just replaced the entire "wart" with the new tweeters.

IMHO, the existing amp will not be able to drive any speakers worth listening to.

Also, rear speakers are "fill" only - no point in spending any $ on replacing those, if you even keep them hooked into the system.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:12 PM
keithgreer
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

My installer put Focal's in the doors and I put some plate Polk's in the back. All fit with the speaker grills (I did not have the Hi-Fi) option. One other thing to consider is to put some Dynamat in the doors to help boost bass.

They sound great.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:16 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The tweeters can be taken off by making a claw with your hand with your fingers, grasp the round tweeter enclosure with your thumb at 7 and your middle and third finger at 1, gently squeeze or pinch inward close to the door panel and the two tabs and 7 and 1 should release from the door panel.
New tweeters are available and are pretty easy to fit back into the stock enclosure and snapped back into place.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:16 AM
SC2993
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

HH is correct, just squeeze the housing and release the pressure on the tabs. Here are a few photos of the tweeter base & enclosure, I used Polk speakers in my car. Cut off the Polk speaker covers with the Dremel and was able to fit the new tweeters inside the original tweeter cover. Perfect fit and secured with Liquid Nails!
Attached Images     
Old 01-26-2012, 11:36 AM
element
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I just did this.. ripped out the aftermarket system from the previous owner (amp, few noise cleaners, etc.. lots of wires, cut harness at amp etc).. they did replace some of the speakers and have a crossover installed at the doors.

I went with a Toronto BT receiver and tried to wire it through the Nokia amp (more to see what it would sound like).. that didnt work, so just used the amp in the receiver - sounds good enough for me and now i have BT for my phone and to stream music. CDs sound really good and im more interested in the motor music (will need to get stageIII's eventually.. i do have the motor sound pkg)

When i pull the passenger seat i will remove the nokia amp to save weight, not sure if it was working at all - i could measure power in, but nothing out.

phil.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:08 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. The photos are a great help. Looking at the position of the tabs though, shouldn't I pinch at 5 and 11 rather than 7 and 1?

Not looking to spend a lot. To be honest, when wether permits, I have the windows rolled down so I can hear those gorgeous StgII mufflers, so spending a lot on a complete high end system refit doesn't make sense. At this point I think I'll be satisfied just swapping out the 3 speakers in each of the door panels.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:12 PM
BLT
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not looking to spend a lot. To be honest, when wether permits, I have the windows rolled down so I can hear those gorgeous StgII mufflers, so spending a lot on a complete high end system refit doesn't make sense. At this point I think I'll be satisfied just swapping out the 3 speakers in each of the door panels.

CorrdoBrit - what did you end up doing? I'm looking to do something similar. PO replaced the head unit with a nice JVC but speakers are shot. I guess I have the "HiFi" package as my doors have 3 speakers in each and the two largers are in a kind of box unit. Like the photo SC2993 posted above.

thx
Old 01-21-2013, 10:32 PM
SonnyT
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread reminds me, I need to get those speakers fixed. I understand that the audio equipment in the car is old school audiophile stuff installed by PO:

A/D/S PowePlate PH15.2 Amp (6 channel, 6x~40W)
a/d/s 642ix crossover
CD/receiver is Apline CDA 7940.
Big sub behind passenger seat.

Anyway, it sounds like the speakers are blown with a lot of distortion. Any recommendations for speakers that would compliment the above equipment and not require any cutting of the door panels?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:34 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

If you guys want to keep it stock, these are not that expensive.
http://www.einmaligparts.com/Loudspe...5_c_12282.html
Old 01-21-2013, 11:51 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

How does one remove the main speaker grill?
Old 01-22-2013, 02:27 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BLT

CorrdoBrit - what did you end up doing? I'm looking to do something similar. PO replaced the head unit with a nice JVC but speakers are shot. I guess I have the "HiFi" package as my doors have 3 speakers in each and the two largers are in a kind of box unit. Like the photo SC2993 posted above.

thx
The audio system is still a work in progress. So far I've replaced the 3" mid drivers which had disintegrated, with Dynaudio mids from a VW T5 van. I bought them from a used parts dealer Germany for about $140 shipped. Installing them wasn't exactly plug and play but with a little effort and some plastic trimming was able to get them installed without problems. The woofers are still the OEM Nokia's since they look to be in good condition. I tried the JL Audio and wasn't impressed enough when powered by the Nokia amp, to keep them. Eventually I'll try the Focal 130VR.

The sound improvement from the Dynaudio drivers was immediately apparent. Hardly surprising given the state of the originals.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:29 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheBen
How does one remove the main speaker grill?
The carpeted panel with integral grille is held in place by 5 or 6 screws. Remove those and the whole lower panel separates from the door card revealing the 2 speakers. Remember to be careful with the middle screw under the glove flap. The plastic there is notoriously flimsy and delicate.

Quick Reply: Best option today for HiFi speaker upgrade