993 Forum 1995-1998

Free play in distributor shaft

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 07:59 AM
ricks993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Free play in distributor shaft

Slave distributor has play (wobble) in shaft that rotor mounts on, how do I fix??
Old 01-25-2012, 08:57 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Don't know what the spec is, but if it is bad, you could probably replace the bearing. You may be able to find a bearing source with a search.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:37 AM
ricks993
Racer

Does anyone know what the bearing part number is and if that is the problem
Old 01-25-2012, 10:57 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks993
Does anyone know what the bearing part number is and if that is the problem
Its an angular contact bearing 32 x 12.4 x 10 mm which is not available to anybody but Bosch based on everything I have read on forums. Those rebuilding distributors for $170 do not include bearings...hardly a rebuild in my books.

I plan to modify the standard 32 x 12 x 10 bearing by opening up the inside diameter to 12.4. Thats one of my next projects.

You may be able to find a used distributor, or if you are lucky, a never-used NOS distributor on eBay. I just picked up a new distributor on eBay for less than the over-priced price of new bearings that one re-builder claims to have.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:10 PM
ricks993
Racer

Alex, Thanks again for the help I sure need it, what started out as a spark plug change has turned into, New plugs, wires, cap & rotors, valve cover gaskets, gas filter, clean top of engine, clean ground points and now a new distributor!!!!

How long do you think my distributor will last in this condition or is this an immediate fix
Old 01-25-2012, 05:00 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

How long do you think my distributor will last in this condition or is this an immediate fix.
I take it you haven't removed the distributor yet?

How much play do you have side to side and up/down? There is a Belleville washer that preloads the bearing, so you shouldn't have any up/down movement. You'd really have to disassemble it and check each bearing individually by feel.

I tend to fix things if they aren't 100%.

If my distributor bearings were gone now and I didn't have my NOS distributor on stand-by as I do, I'd buy a rebuilt distributor and rebuild the old one when bearings come available at a reasonable price...and that might be sooner, than later.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:14 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8

I plan to modify the standard 32 x 12 x 10 bearing by opening up the inside diameter to 12.4. Thats one of my next projects.
That's plan A, and costs a few $ per bearing...
Plan B is to exchange the new bearing inner 12 by the old 12.4 inner ring. The hint ? Hot and cold ....

need is the mother of inventions.

Trending Topics

Old 01-25-2012, 07:28 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

How long do you think my distributor will last in this condition or is this an immediate fix
I have a feeling you are talking about a clockwise and anti clockwise wobble.
I cannot see how a mounted distributor could have the secondary shaft wobble.
If you want to know why it wobbles left and rights few degrees, it is to replace the manual retard timing beginning of the century cars had on the steering wheel.
With inertia, the faster the rotor spins, there are two small sprung weights underneath the rotor that open and retard the rotor a few degrees.
When the axle is on stop, and you turn the rotor anti clockwise, the rotor will move freely, sprung a mist, but moves a few degrees.
If so, go WOT one for your friends here and no worries.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:47 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by geolab
That's plan A, and costs a few $ per bearing.
It'll only cost me the price of a standard bearing...not much.

Originally Posted by geolab
Plan B is to exchange the new bearing inner 12 by the old 12.4 inner ring. The hint ? Hot and cold
George, thats like using an old outer race of a tapper bearing that is still stuck in the hub with a new inner race of a tapper bearing that was just bought. It may be a last resort, but its not my style. Besides, if the old bearing is running rough, then chances are both races are done.

One could always turn down the distributor shafts, but I wouldn't want to do that either.

Leave it to Bosch. Now you know why I dislike anything that uses proprietary parts. But they are out of luck; a solution is on the way.

Quick Reply: Free play in distributor shaft