Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Official Painted HardBack Picture Thread!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 09:13 PM
GC96
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I finally got round to installing the seats I bought last year so here's my contribution to this thread. The seat are from a Cayman re-upholstered in Marble Grey to match my stock interior. I also used the heated seat control module, switch and harness from my stock seats to run the heaters on the new seats.

GC
Attached Images    
Old 03-20-2014, 09:18 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 207 Likes on 76 Posts

They look awesome!! I bought a set if cayman sport seats myself and I'm going to do exactly what you did it's the installation simple ? Or what needs to be done to install the cayman seats on a 993?
Old 03-20-2014, 10:33 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

whaaaaaaaaaaaaat!

Who the hell ever heard of Caymen HB sport Seats, not like it rolls off the tongue or anything...not that they look "anything" like 993 HB sport seats either-nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Next thing ya know, Rudy will be cornering the market on these babies too(shhhh, put me down for a set in black old friend)

Do they REALLY look that much like the vaulted 993 version?

Without "googling" them, are they cheap too?

$hit, probably readily available heated too.

I really gotta go back to checking this forum more infrequently. Damn Subie forum's are full of too many boosted folk-normally aspirated fool here, and folk that think adding stickers are a mod*.

*-well, we all know and accept that rennlist stickers are a true mod, but those Subie folk are just plain nuts.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:31 AM
GC96
Instructor

Originally Posted by Opo
They look awesome!! I bought a set if cayman sport seats myself and I'm going to do exactly what you did it's the installation simple ? Or what needs to be done to install the cayman seats on a 993?
Thanks. The seat rails do need to be modified to fit the 993 but you have two options on how much modification you need to do. In both options the rear locating pin that sticks down out of the seat rails need to be ground down. Then you can either modify the front mounting point to go from being angled downward to being flat or buy an adapter kit. There is a DIY thread on here showing the installation of a 997 sport seats that give details on where to cut the bracket etc. I wasn't keen on cutting up that front bracket so I chose to buy the Brey Krause adapter kit http://www.bkauto.com/R_9043_996_Sli...r_p/r-9043.htm. You need one kit for each seat so this is definitely not the cheap option.

GC
Old 03-21-2014, 12:46 AM
GC96
Instructor

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
whaaaaaaaaaaaaat!

Who the hell ever heard of Caymen HB sport Seats, not like it rolls off the tongue or anything...not that they look "anything" like 993 HB sport seats either-nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Next thing ya know, Rudy will be cornering the market on these babies too(shhhh, put me down for a set in black old friend)

Do they REALLY look that much like the vaulted 993 version?

Without "googling" them, are they cheap too?

$hit, probably readily available heated too.

I really gotta go back to checking this forum more infrequently. Damn Subie forum's are full of too many boosted folk-normally aspirated fool here, and folk that think adding stickers are a mod*.

*-well, we all know and accept that rennlist stickers are a true mod, but those Subie folk are just plain nuts.

The Cayman HB seats are essentially the same as the 997 HB sport seats. The only difference I could see between mine and a 997 sport seat was the shape of the seat back release **** (which I think had 987 part number prefixes). All the other parts had 997 part number prefixes.
The 997 HB seats are way cheaper than the 993 ones, and I find that they fit me better as well. Usually the manual adjustment ones I've seen advertised are listed for $1400-1500. The ones that I installed are the manual seats (manual fore-aft adjustment, electric back rest adjustment). When I was researching this last year it seemed that no one had installed a power 997 seat due to the complexity of getting the control module to work.

GC
Old 03-22-2014, 01:51 AM
T0M993
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Opo
2 new sets to be installed tomorrow
Polar silver and artic silver
Here are some pics of the polar silver set installed. Special thanks to Opo for all the help, as always.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:42 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

[QUOTE=T0M993;11233723]Here are some pics of the polar silver set installed. Special thanks to Opo for all the help, as always.

Tom. They look awesome as always , picture #2 is what drives me crazy ! Just love to walk up to the 993's and have that view
Old 03-22-2014, 10:17 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 450 Posts

Now I HAVE to get sport seats!!! Stop posting pictures guys...you are costing me my hard earned dollars
Old 03-22-2014, 10:46 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GC96
I finally got round to installing the seats I bought last year so here's my contribution to this thread. The seat are from a Cayman re-upholstered in Marble Grey to match my stock interior. I also used the heated seat control module, switch and harness from my stock seats to run the heaters on the new seats.

GC
Those look great. Was the re-upholstery a custom job or were you able to source new covers in marble grey from GAHH or one of the other suppliers?
Old 03-22-2014, 01:01 PM
GC96
Instructor

Originally Posted by JPP
Those look great. Was the re-upholstery a custom job or were you able to source new covers in marble grey from GAHH or one of the other suppliers?
Thanks. I got new covers from Classic 9 leathershop. Overall I was quite happy with the quality and fit of the kit except for one minor issue with the edging material for the seat bottoms. I believe when they originally started producing this kit a few years ago , Robert Budd used to ask that you send in the old covers and he would re-use the stock edging material since he hadn't found a suitable alternative. Now, however, he say that is no longer necessary and he provides a new substitute edging material. The new one worked fine for the seat back, but did not work for me for the seat bottom. The new edging was a slightly too thick and wouldn't fit securely into the seat frame. A local upholstery shop swapped out the edging from the kit with the ones from the stock seat bottoms and then I had no problems with the installation of the covers. I would certainly recommend the kit, but I would suggest that the stock covers be sent in so the edging material can be re-used.

GC
Old 03-22-2014, 01:34 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

^^^ Great into, thanks.
JP
Old 03-22-2014, 04:47 PM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hardbacks

Anybody want to sell a pair?
Any colour,any condition?

AVRUM
Old 03-30-2014, 12:49 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Prep done

Prep done, hard backs off, now to paint them Arena Red. Standby.
Attached Images    
Old 03-30-2014, 01:14 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Spokes
Prep done, hard backs off, now to paint them Arena Red. Standby.
Wow!! Never seen classic gray with arena red , can't wait to see pictures
Old 04-01-2014, 01:19 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Last edited by Opo; 07-03-2014 at 01:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Official Painted HardBack Picture Thread!!!