Notices

Official Painted HardBack Picture Thread!!!

 
Old 03-20-2014, 09:13 PM
  #106  
GC96
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 193
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I finally got round to installing the seats I bought last year so here's my contribution to this thread. The seat are from a Cayman re-upholstered in Marble Grey to match my stock interior. I also used the heated seat control module, switch and harness from my stock seats to run the heaters on the new seats.

GC
Attached Images    
GC96 is offline  
Old 03-20-2014, 09:18 PM
  #107  
Opo
Super User
 
Opo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: katy texas
Posts: 4,947
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

They look awesome!! I bought a set if cayman sport seats myself and I'm going to do exactly what you did it's the installation simple ? Or what needs to be done to install the cayman seats on a 993?
Opo is offline  
Old 03-20-2014, 10:33 PM
  #108  
Magdaddy
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Magdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oneida, New York
Posts: 4,011
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

whaaaaaaaaaaaaat!

Who the hell ever heard of Caymen HB sport Seats, not like it rolls off the tongue or anything...not that they look "anything" like 993 HB sport seats either-nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Next thing ya know, Rudy will be cornering the market on these babies too(shhhh, put me down for a set in black old friend)

Do they REALLY look that much like the vaulted 993 version?

Without "googling" them, are they cheap too?

$hit, probably readily available heated too.

I really gotta go back to checking this forum more infrequently. Damn Subie forum's are full of too many boosted folk-normally aspirated fool here, and folk that think adding stickers are a mod*.

*-well, we all know and accept that rennlist stickers are a true mod, but those Subie folk are just plain nuts.
Magdaddy is offline  
Old 03-21-2014, 12:31 AM
  #109  
GC96
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 193
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Opo View Post
They look awesome!! I bought a set if cayman sport seats myself and I'm going to do exactly what you did it's the installation simple ? Or what needs to be done to install the cayman seats on a 993?
Thanks. The seat rails do need to be modified to fit the 993 but you have two options on how much modification you need to do. In both options the rear locating pin that sticks down out of the seat rails need to be ground down. Then you can either modify the front mounting point to go from being angled downward to being flat or buy an adapter kit. There is a DIY thread on here showing the installation of a 997 sport seats that give details on where to cut the bracket etc. I wasn't keen on cutting up that front bracket so I chose to buy the Brey Krause adapter kit http://www.bkauto.com/R_9043_996_Sli...r_p/r-9043.htm. You need one kit for each seat so this is definitely not the cheap option.

GC
GC96 is offline  
Old 03-21-2014, 12:46 AM
  #110  
GC96
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 193
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Magdaddy View Post
whaaaaaaaaaaaaat!

Who the hell ever heard of Caymen HB sport Seats, not like it rolls off the tongue or anything...not that they look "anything" like 993 HB sport seats either-nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Next thing ya know, Rudy will be cornering the market on these babies too(shhhh, put me down for a set in black old friend)

Do they REALLY look that much like the vaulted 993 version?

Without "googling" them, are they cheap too?

$hit, probably readily available heated too.

I really gotta go back to checking this forum more infrequently. Damn Subie forum's are full of too many boosted folk-normally aspirated fool here, and folk that think adding stickers are a mod*.

*-well, we all know and accept that rennlist stickers are a true mod, but those Subie folk are just plain nuts.

The Cayman HB seats are essentially the same as the 997 HB sport seats. The only difference I could see between mine and a 997 sport seat was the shape of the seat back release **** (which I think had 987 part number prefixes). All the other parts had 997 part number prefixes.
The 997 HB seats are way cheaper than the 993 ones, and I find that they fit me better as well. Usually the manual adjustment ones I've seen advertised are listed for $1400-1500. The ones that I installed are the manual seats (manual fore-aft adjustment, electric back rest adjustment). When I was researching this last year it seemed that no one had installed a power 997 seat due to the complexity of getting the control module to work.

GC
GC96 is offline  
Old 03-22-2014, 01:51 AM
  #111  
T0M993
User
 
T0M993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 130
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Opo View Post
2 new sets to be installed tomorrow
Polar silver and artic silver
Here are some pics of the polar silver set installed. Special thanks to Opo for all the help, as always.



T0M993 is offline  
Old 03-22-2014, 02:42 AM
  #112  
Opo
Super User
 
Opo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: katy texas
Posts: 4,947
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

[QUOTE=T0M993;11233723]Here are some pics of the polar silver set installed. Special thanks to Opo for all the help, as always.

Tom. They look awesome as always , picture #2 is what drives me crazy ! Just love to walk up to the 993's and have that view
Opo is offline  
Old 03-22-2014, 10:17 AM
  #113  
Onami
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Onami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,971
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Now I HAVE to get sport seats!!! Stop posting pictures guys...you are costing me my hard earned dollars
Onami is offline  
Old 03-22-2014, 10:46 AM
  #114  
JPP
Super User
 
JPP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: In front of you and to the left ...
Posts: 5,409
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GC96 View Post
I finally got round to installing the seats I bought last year so here's my contribution to this thread. The seat are from a Cayman re-upholstered in Marble Grey to match my stock interior. I also used the heated seat control module, switch and harness from my stock seats to run the heaters on the new seats.

GC
Those look great. Was the re-upholstery a custom job or were you able to source new covers in marble grey from GAHH or one of the other suppliers?
JPP is offline  
Old 03-22-2014, 01:01 PM
  #115  
GC96
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 193
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JPP View Post
Those look great. Was the re-upholstery a custom job or were you able to source new covers in marble grey from GAHH or one of the other suppliers?
Thanks. I got new covers from Classic 9 leathershop. Overall I was quite happy with the quality and fit of the kit except for one minor issue with the edging material for the seat bottoms. I believe when they originally started producing this kit a few years ago , Robert Budd used to ask that you send in the old covers and he would re-use the stock edging material since he hadn't found a suitable alternative. Now, however, he say that is no longer necessary and he provides a new substitute edging material. The new one worked fine for the seat back, but did not work for me for the seat bottom. The new edging was a slightly too thick and wouldn't fit securely into the seat frame. A local upholstery shop swapped out the edging from the kit with the ones from the stock seat bottoms and then I had no problems with the installation of the covers. I would certainly recommend the kit, but I would suggest that the stock covers be sent in so the edging material can be re-used.

GC
GC96 is offline  
Old 03-22-2014, 01:34 PM
  #116  
JPP
Super User
 
JPP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: In front of you and to the left ...
Posts: 5,409
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

^^^ Great into, thanks.
JP
JPP is offline  
Old 03-22-2014, 04:47 PM
  #117  
Farfelc2s
User
 
Farfelc2s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,200
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardbacks

Anybody want to sell a pair?
Any colour,any condition?

AVRUM
Farfelc2s is offline  
Old 03-30-2014, 12:49 AM
  #118  
Spokes
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Spokes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: ZQN, New Zealand
Posts: 933
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Prep done

Prep done, hard backs off, now to paint them Arena Red. Standby.
Attached Images    
Spokes is online now  
Old 03-30-2014, 01:14 AM
  #119  
Opo
Super User
 
Opo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: katy texas
Posts: 4,947
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
Prep done, hard backs off, now to paint them Arena Red. Standby.
Wow!! Never seen classic gray with arena red , can't wait to see pictures
Opo is offline  
Old 04-01-2014, 01:19 AM
  #120  
Opo
Super User
 
Opo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: katy texas
Posts: 4,947
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default


Last edited by Opo; 07-03-2014 at 01:31 AM.
Opo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official Painted HardBack Picture Thread!!!


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: