Sponsored by:

Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems 993 GIAC Performance Chip

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 03:43 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Alex, i actually had wrapped lower cover on one side of my previous 993. Replaced the gaskets once by myself with John D. watching over me and torquing them for me. Replaced second time by Exotech and the right side still leaked slightly. I assume that's warped cover. I didn't replace it, but if I did, I'd look at billet covers as an option depending on the cost. If I remember correctly, OEM pair was $240 at the time and billet pair about $300. If that's the case I'm not sure what decision I would have made as I don't much care about jewelry at all. On the other hand, billet covers would have sounded and looked more than $60 cool at resale time, I think.

I wholeheartedly agree with suspension and brakes (well, tires even before that). Given that my current car is on Bilsteins, good brakes and tires, I feel that spending $300 on a chip (still crapload of money if you ask me) is OK to see what it'll do.

As this discussion is getting more interesting in a sense of "mods vs. money" and the chip is already sold, I'll go ahead and list what I have in the current car and what I think (others are welcome to jump in, critique, etc).

- Aluminum shifter, e-brake lever, *****, door pulls, instrument surrounds. All by previous owner. Fairly useless bling, but it was there.

Red powder coated calipers. By PO. OK. Looks a bit nicer than faded black. Doesn't affect anything.

- 18" wheels. Previous owner. I still prefer 17s, but now have 3 sets of 18s and winter set of 17s. On the fence on that due to better availability of tires in 18" sizes.

- Steering rack brace. Previous owner. Needed. Good.

- Aluminum pedals. Me. Leftovers from previous 993. Wanted a dead pedal, got a set, install them all, they fit the rest of bling. OK. Dead pedal is good to have for autocrossing.

- Underbumper protector. Me. Leftover from previous 993. Hopefully would help not to further scratch the bumper. OK.

- Strut tower brace. Me. Helps a little with cowl creak in a cab. Not much else. Under carpet, low bling factor. OK.

- Focal speakers upfront. Me. Better than dead Nokias, better than PO's Kenwoods. Coupled with JVC head and Fosgate amp by PO. OK, but you can't make 993 cab sound all that good. Nor should you, probably.

- Bilsteins + M030s, M030 swaybars, Walrod bushings. Me. Pretty obvious and needed.

- Golden rod and Weltmeister short shift kit. Me. Nice to have, crisper shifts. typical of what we are discussing here. For better feel and enjoyment, not for speed or anything else.

- Heated 996 Sports hardback seats with crest, no less. Me. Don't care about anything other than "heated" part. Enjoy it tremendously in a cab. Needed. Good. A little extra support is a bit of a nice bonus. Scheming to install an inflatable lumbar from an E38, stay tuned.

Recovered 3-spoke steering wheel. Me. Really enjoy the perforated leather and shaved thumbrests. Much better feel than 4-spoke or OEM 3-spoke. Just what the doctor ordered.

- LPMM mufflers. Me. They were cheap. Not sure they are right for a daily car, but hey, tried them. Sound better than stock at idle and WOT. Oh, PO drilled the airbox too.

- GIAC chip. Upcoming.

PS. As we can see here, several "mods" were needed, several lead to more comfort and enjoyment, several were meh and could have been avoided. I think the chip will be in the second category for me, but this is all fairly personal.

PPS. Dragging GF to autocross with me last year. Priceless. Her hitting timing lights with the back of a 993 in a slow looping spin... Not as priceless.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:53 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
I assume that's warped cover.
I don't assume; I measure and all this is needed is a large enough piece of plate glass. By the way, the cover could be warped and it wouldn't make a difference. The seal protrudes out further than the base of the cover by quite a bit. Now if it were an older model that uses a gasket...maybe, but even then.

And since no concrete reason was determined, it could have been many things; gouged/scratched sealing surface, dirt, aftermarket seal, etc. I can tell you how hard the rubber was on the lower sections of the lower valve cover; not wonder it was leaking.

Most of your mods have a bling factor which is fine and up to the owner...no claims are made so nothing needs to be questioned. Now if an ad tells me I am going to gain 10% with a set of mufflers or 15 HP with a chip...says who...the vendor?
Old 02-03-2012, 09:35 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"I wonder why the manufacturers don't do it or is it at the cost of long term longevity?"

And isn't it interesting that most/all that get sucked-into 'performance' chips
don't ask that too?
Just an update Loren, I did ask and used GIAC's online "contact us" form last week requesting before and after power and torque curves for a 993 with their chip.

I never got a reply. You'd think while deveoloping a map for their chip, they'd have a slew of before and after dyno charts on file. I guess seat-of-the-pants is hard to transmit electronically.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"I did ask and used GIAC's online "contact us" form last week requesting before and after power and torque curves for a 993 with their chip.

I never got a reply."

To be expected, which is the case for 'performance' chips, i.e. No real scientific methodology to
to the claims!

Quick Reply: Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems 993 GIAC Performance Chip