Sponsored by:

Sunroof woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 02:02 PM
sjsfiji
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof woes

I think my switch need cleaning from what I've read here. My sunroof suddenly stopped working. How do I get to or remove the switch?

TIA,

sjsfiji
Old 01-11-2012, 02:33 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Tons of sunroof threads here that might help you narrow things down. Search for "sunroof broken" or similar.

To get to the switch, you gently pry up (generally works by hand, no tool needed) the center console switch plates at the side. GENTLE is the key, as the tabs on this part are brittle and break off easy (I know....). The top and bottom rows are separate pieces. This thread shows the PET drawing in first post...
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...late-help.html
To remove the switch, you will need a small flatblade screwdriver IIRC to pry it out of the snaps.

Does it make a clicking noise at all? That might imply the broken cable issue (there are 2 drive cables, one to each side, a common failure). If no sound or attempt at motion, that implies electrical issue, your switch is the next point to check, then the motor. Also, the motor is accessed thru the zipper in the back of the roof interior panel. You can check for power getting thru the switch first at the console, then see if the motor gets power.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:11 PM
michaelh993
Instructor

Same thing happened to me a few years ago. I removed the switch and carefully disassembled it. Turned out that some small parts were not properly aligned and putting it back together fixed it. Cheapest repair you can do.Careful, many small parts and fragile ones. Good luck
Old 01-11-2012, 03:17 PM
sjsfiji
Advanced

Thanks guys for the great info. I'll check it out saturday AM... cheers...
Old 11-25-2012, 04:43 AM
sjsfiji
Advanced

Default Sunroof moves a half inch open then closed

All,

I finally played with the sunroof today. I cleaned the contacts on the switch and checked continuity of the contacts. I got continuity from the contacts when depressing either end of the switch making sure it did not have continuity when either end was not depressed. I guess it's time to check the motor. If the sunroof opens and closes by 1/2 inch, could something be stuck, broken, or misaligned? The motor does stop working after the 1/2 inch travel. Could it be a limit switch being triggered way too soon?

Thanks in advance...
Old 11-25-2012, 09:41 AM
Chris L
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

My guess is that something is jammed or misaligned. I don't think there's a limit switch in the circuit, but I could be wrong.

Do you hear the motor still trying/straining after the sunroof is open but stops?

The mechanism is really pretty simple once you get the headliner cover off. There's a set of clips at the front edge that you just pop off and then the cover slides back.

Pelican has a good article here. Some parts have changed but it's still the same basic design from the earlier cars.

Good luck,

Chris.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:52 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 311 Posts

It cuts very easily
Old 11-26-2012, 01:38 AM
sjsfiji
Advanced

Default Sunroof

Thanks for replies. The sunroof now opens up to an inch, but one side moves further. I'm certain its a cable issue. Time to open her up...

Quick Reply: Sunroof woes