Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Last efforts before calling the hook...'95 C2, won't start after engine R&R.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 11:41 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear of the plight. Been there many times, and am really glad I'm not doing engines anymore. How much simpler it was in the old days with a carb/MFI engine and conventional ignition.

Unfortunately, nothing to add that I haven't seen covered.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:46 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
Was the crank sensor properly gaped when it was installed? Sounds like you are getting inconsistent/false position information.
I would guess that they are a Hall effect sensor. Maybe it is operating at its limit and the gap may have something to do with it. But then, if a consistent spark at the correct time is achieved as witnessed by a timing light on a reference mark, I would think all is in order.

Can it only be install in one location?
Old 01-12-2012, 11:49 AM
TravisB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, .80mm (spec = 1.0mm +/1 .2mm). I also tried bumping it out to the 1.0mm figure yesterday, no change..and yep, it can only go in one way.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:34 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I would still do the 3 tests in the workshop manual to confirm that the DME is getting the information it needs. I'm not certain that what you're seeing proves that it is. Totally simple tests that are worth the 5 minutes.

Are you sure the ISV (idle stabilizer valve) is hooked up properly? Maybe the engine could be starving for air if the ISV weren't operating correctly. But I suspect enough air could still get past it to fire up the engine.

You didn't block off any air inlets with shop towels or duct tape, right?
Old 01-12-2012, 12:38 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Travis, humor me and pull a distributor rotor cap. Make sure the rotor is spinning when you crank.
Sounds crazy, I know.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Juha, I think even with an incorrect plug, the car would at least burp, right? I do not think this is the issue, what do you think?

We talked about the flywheel/crankshaft alignment as well, there is a dowel that Travis confirmed, as well as for the flywheel pulley. That is why I was/am pushing to check each cylinder for correct firing given a timing light. That was in the other thread - there are two parallel technical diagnosis going now!

Travis, how are you feeling these days, and any news?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-12-2012, 02:48 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Sounds like I missed a bunch... so you have connected a timing light and confirmed that at least the #1 top plug is firing at the right time consistently....

Have you removed the plug from the head and confirmed that it is actually sparking when the motor is cranked?

While the plug is out and you are cranking the motor you should get a noticeable aroma of fuel... Maybe rent a boroscope to confirm you are getting fuel (piston will be wet after all of this)

I would be bald by now.... sounds very very frustrating...
Old 01-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Yup, that has all been done and much more . Take a look at the other multipage thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...referrerid=235

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-12-2012, 03:48 PM
TravisB
Pro

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
I would still do the 3 tests in the workshop manual to confirm that the DME is getting the information it needs. I'm not certain that what you're seeing proves that it is. Totally simple tests that are worth the 5 minutes.

Are you sure the ISV (idle stabilizer valve) is hooked up properly? Maybe the engine could be starving for air if the ISV weren't operating correctly. But I suspect enough air could still get past it to fire up the engine.

You didn't block off any air inlets with shop towels or duct tape, right?

When GC96 came by Tuesday he brought the manuals, I don't remember what exactly we did, but we went through the no-start troubleshooting stuff and eliminated everything except a failed DME. I have a hard time believing with spark and fuel that it's bad, but I am running short on new things to check, will probably take a closer look at it next.

And, speak of the devil, he's heading back over this evening with a fuel pressure gauge and an ISV to swap out because...well, why not I guess!

Originally Posted by techman1
Travis, humor me and pull a distributor rotor cap. Make sure the rotor is spinning when you crank.
Sounds crazy, I know.

As you can imagine, the caps have been on and off several times..rotors are definitely moving!

Originally Posted by Mike J
We talked about the flywheel/crankshaft alignment as well, there is a dowel that Travis confirmed, as well as for the flywheel pulley. That is why I was/am pushing to check each cylinder for correct firing given a timing light. That was in the other thread - there are two parallel technical diagnosis going now!

Travis, how are you feeling these days, and any news?

Cheers,

Mike

I think I'll see if Vatozone rents timing lights on my way home today, if they do I will FINALLY check the rest of them.

Not going to lie, morale is starting to slip. 2012 could be getting off to a better start indeed..

There is no cure; only poverty. Embrace the money pit!

Originally Posted by jscott82
Sounds like I missed a bunch...

I would be bald by now.... sounds very very frustrating...

Yeah, you're a little late to the party, I think it's about over, but come on in! Thankfully I had the foresight to buzz my head before starting so it's a little harder to pull my hair out. My "project beard" has passed the itchy stage at least, probably starting the homeless look now..
Old 01-12-2012, 03:55 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Travis, on the front of the distribut there is a plug, I believe it sends a cyl signal for the dme to figure knock sensing. Not sure if it will run removed or not.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:57 PM
C4S993
Pro

Can you borrow another brain ?
Old 01-12-2012, 04:09 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry about the issues. i just watched the video of the car cranking. I have not cranked my car with the DME realy pulled, but yours sounds like the spark pugs are out. Have you checked compression?
Old 01-12-2012, 04:13 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Travis,

In lieu of a timing light to check each wire, I recall a clip-on tool I saw at ..Autozone maybe? relatively cheap, like $12 bucks. Flashes a signal when there is a spark.

Edit: found it, $8.00, autozone part #25045
Old 01-12-2012, 04:45 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S993
Can you borrow another brain ?
My wife asks this on a weekly basis.

Andreas
Old 01-12-2012, 04:51 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TravisB
Not going to lie, morale is starting to slip.
Is Charlie aware of this? I think you need to discuss it with him .....

Quick Reply: Last efforts before calling the hook...'95 C2, won't start after engine R&R.