Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sponsors are the most Ruthless, who are moderators ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 04:20 PM
sonny1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Must be.....the French.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slider172
It must be that they dont like the French.
Perfectly reasonable, even the french don't like the french
Old 01-08-2012, 04:43 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Come on, guys. George is a really knowledgeable contributor to a 993 community and is a great and generous person from what i have seen. The cultural differences aside (yes, I know what it's about), can y'all chill and show some cultural diversity?

Thanks in advance.

Lewis is a great guy as well from what I've seen. George, I believe he indicated that he sold to the first taker and indicated here that the first contact (chronologically) was via PM as an explanation that the lenses are sold. I've been in a situation where I've had to decide who to sell to when there are several interested parties. Hard decision and subjective one, always. Also been in a situation where I was jumped over by another buyer as well, many times. We all try to be fair by our own understanding what's fair. It all work out well in the long run, although the system is far from perfect and can cause aggravation sometimes.

It's all good in other words.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
But when someone asks a question about an item, they have first dibs if they were the first to respond on the thread.
In this example, if a person asked a question in the for sale thread, that does not trump someone who offered to buy the item without any questions and if the price was acceptable to me, even if the second party's post was after the first party's query.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:40 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
In this example, if a person asked a question in the for sale thread, that does not trump someone who offered to buy the item without any questions and if the price was acceptable to me, even if the second party's post was after the first party's query.
Well then, they should have provided a more detailed description of the item. In that case, I'd state, I'll take it if....

And in the end, we remember those who we have had good buying experiences with, and my few so far have been very good, and those who we wouldn't deal with again.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:04 PM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

It could also be sellers don't like the hassle of shipping overseas. That one seller did state CONUS.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:11 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 97_993C2
It could also be sellers don't like the hassle of shipping overseas. That one seller did state CONUS.
Its a no-brainer that doesn't add to the complexity.

I just sent a set of Beru ignition cables to a buyer in Europe.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:04 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Its a no-brainer that doesn't add to the complexity.

I just sent a set of Beru ignition cables to a buyer in Europe.
Actually it can add complexity. When shipping to other countries, customs forms need to be filled out. This is not overly complicated, but a seller may choose to not want to do that. The other issue becomes tracking. There is a lot greater chance of the item getting lost/stolen when shipping to another country.
We ship worldwide on a regular basis and it adds a little extra time to the process, but we don't consider it to be a big deal.
We shipped a factory RS steering wheel to Signapore and the last bit of tracking evidence shows it leaving the United States. After that it apparently vanished from the face of the earth. Then came the wonderful insurance paperwork A PITA to say the least.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:23 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FisterD
Actually it can add complexity. When shipping to other countries, customs forms need to be filled out.
A stick-on label with the From and To addresses, and "car parts" on one line with the dollar amount.

If a Rennlister can't do that for another Rennlister, then I really have to wonder. I have to do that every time I send a Beru cable set down your way.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Spidey 993

This dibs thing is taken a bit too far, not part of any rules, not everyone has to play, a seller can sell to whoever they chose.

Sure, it would be nice if everyone followed the gentlemens agreement, but that is all it is, nothing more. If they don't chose to, doesn't make them bad people or not following RL rules.

Most likely the latter, George, because that is downright low.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:58 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

A stick-on label with the From and To addresses, and "car parts" on one line with the dollar amount.

If a Rennlister can't do that for another Rennlister, then I really have to wonder. I have to do that every time I send a Beru cable set down your way.
Perhaps you did not read my whole post. There are other reasons why shipping out of the country can get more complicated and someone may not choose to do it. Brookerage fees, VAT (value added tax) are also things to that can complicate shipments. I am speaking from shipping things out of the US, as I have not shipped anything from Canada.
Also here in the US on larger shipments, the customs forms get more complicated depending on the carrier and value.
It is up to the individual seller to decide what works for them.
As far as a Rennlist code, or honor system, I have had dealings with thousands of Rennlisters with excellent success. The majority of Rennlisters are good, honest people.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:18 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Perhaps you did not read my whole post.
I did.

There are other reasons why shipping out of the country can get more complicated and someone may not choose to do it. Brokerage fees, VAT (value added tax) are also things to that can complicate shipments.
But we're talking about member to member sales here, usually single items and small shipments.

The vast majority of buyers other than first-time buyers are aware of the extra fees, be it shipping costs, brokerage fees, etc.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't care if you make a lowball offer but don't be upset when I sell to the next contact with a legitimate offer. I do not consider your lowball offer to be the start of negotiations that gives you some sort of preference.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Spidey 993

I neither does someone writing something in the thread give them priority.

That's my point, this gets ridiculous. But Alex has to argue for the sake of arguing. He's been in rare form lately.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Well then, they should have provided a more detailed description of the item. In that case, I'd state, I'll take it if....
I'm not following you. Are you saying that if a potential buyer has a question, then the seller should have done a better job with describing the item? If so, not sure I agree that a seller has an onus of responsibility to describe so much that it answers every possible question.

Quick Reply: Sponsors are the most Ruthless, who are moderators ?