Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Aftermarket Stereo Wiring Question (Blaupunkt)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 04:04 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Aftermarket Stereo Wiring Question (Blaupunkt)

Hey Guys. Quick question on wiring in my new Blaupunkt Toronto 410 BT with Bluetooth. Long story short; recently purchased a 993 with a hideous Sony aftermarket unit installed by prior owner a few months prior to the sale (OE radio was dead), the install shop cut out original harness so I'm working with wires. I've got everything sorted power, ground, auto antenna and F & R speaker wise. In hooking up the new Blaupunkt it has a couple of connections that I don't think I need be using (Sub Out and Sub Out Ground since I will not be using a Sub) but there are a couple I think I'll need; "Illumination" and "Radio Mute". The directions that came with the new radio didn't address these connections. Any ideas what they are for and which wire I should connect these to? Thanks in advance for any help......Mark.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:07 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was just reviewing the 993 wiring diagram yesterday because I'm getting ready to install a 4 year old Blaupunkt Montreal. Here is the wiring information for the original wiring harness for a CR-210 with hi-fi option:

White/Red Stripe = speedo input for speed-dependent variable volume
White = antenna amplifier turn-on signal
Red/Black = Hot (+) switched
Brown = ground
Red = Hot (+) constant
Grey/Blue = Illumination (from cabin light switch)

If you have/had the telephone option as well, there are a bunch of Yellow/Black wires included in the harness in addition to the above.

The Montreal that I'm going to install doesn't have corresponding inputs for the factory illumination or speedo wires. The radio lights come on with the switched hot, and there is no speed-based volume feature.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:26 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dave. I just finished looking over the wiring I already have connected, everything from the OE wiring behind the dash is used / connected and spoken for. Maybe that's it / all?

There are 3 harnesses that plug into the back of the Blaupunkt;

1. Speaker connections......done

2. Antenna, Hot Switched, Hot Continuous, Ground.....done
Illumination, Radio Mute, Sub Out, Sub Out Ground.......not done

3. Remote Control ground, Remote Control in, 12v Switched (RC), Telephone NF In+, Telephone NF In-, Radio Mute......not done

Not sure but I think #3 may be for Steering Wheel Controls?
Old 01-04-2012, 06:41 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Where did you get the BP Toronto from? Im in the same situation - cut wires, Hifi system and want to get back to stock setup + new deck. I need to start pulling things apart and soldering wires back together.

phil.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:47 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Got it on Fleabay, $250 shipped. For whatever reason the seller bumped his prices to $290 for his remaining 4 since my purchase a week ago.

Any Experts on the Questions Above?
Old 01-04-2012, 07:20 PM
element
Pro

Thanks! so i checked it out.. and noticed that they are located in Mississauga - im sitting downtown Toronto right now, so can go pickup before heading back to Seattle on the weekend Buying direct from them looks a bit cheaper as well - http://www.shimstech.com/

phil.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:26 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by element
Thanks! so i checked it out.. and noticed that they are located in Mississauga - im sitting downtown Toronto right now, so can go pickup before heading back to Seattle on the weekend Buying direct from them looks a bit cheaper as well - http://www.shimstech.com/

phil.
I just put a toronto in my c4s but will be taking it out soon. Sound quality is good, iPod integration is ok at best, and bluetooth is horrible. Personally, I will be using a CDR-220 with remote iPod and a separate Parrot for bluetooth. Plus, I much prefer the look of the origina Porsche Beckers. I'd like it to all work in one unit, but alas, it was not meant to be.

Anyone want a slightly used Toronto?
Old 01-04-2012, 08:12 PM
element
Pro

what wasnt working with the BT? What phone are you using? I may be interested - how much $ are you looking for?

phil.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Mercedesben
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am possibly interested.
Nice color combo by the way!
Old 01-05-2012, 06:43 AM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Well, hopefully you guys had luck selling your radios...........

Back to my OP and question:

I just finished looking over the wiring I already have connected, everything from the OE wiring behind the dash is used / connected and spoken for. Maybe that's it / all?

There are 3 harnesses that plug into the back of the Blaupunkt;

1. Speaker connections......done

2. Antenna, Hot Switched, Hot Continuous, Ground.....done
Illumination, Radio Mute, Sub Out, Sub Out Ground.......not done

3. Remote Control ground, Remote Control in, 12v Switched (RC), Telephone NF In+, Telephone NF In-, Radio Mute......not done

Any radio gurus out there?
Old 01-05-2012, 03:42 PM
993dream
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coreseller,

I believe you need to tap into the ashtray light to get the power for illumination. It worked for me. See this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ferrerid=39804

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Stereo Wiring Question (Blaupunkt)