Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

The Immobilizer Strikes Back!!!!!! HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 05:40 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
And for the '97/'98, one risks having OBDII problems, e.g. monitors/readiness
problems, and/or Porsche Tester interface problems with a re-flash of the DME ECM.
In one post you've gone from "not possible" to the above, which is essentially "possible but with risks." What will tomorrow bring?
Old 01-04-2012, 06:25 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
That may give you some potential solutions to the problem but I believe the Euro cars are on a different frequency, therefore the control units are not interchangeable.
Not really a problem if he buys a Euro fob. The total will be considerably less than what is being quoted, so long as its compatible with the DME.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:28 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
Not really a problem if he buys a Euro fob. The total will be considerably less than what is being quoted, so long as its compatible with the DME.
Point well-taken. NE1 know if a Euro IMMOBILIZER Control Unit and Fob will be compatible with a U.S. DME/ECU?
Old 01-04-2012, 09:50 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the immobilizer is bad, can't it be rebuilt, resoldered, etc? Seems like that would be a lot cheaper solution than buying a new one, if possible.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:21 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"In one post you've gone from "not possible" to the above, which is essentially "possible but with risks." What will tomorrow bring? "

O.K. again, since some are little slower that others in understanding or reading comprehension:

1. The vehicle is a '96 993.
2. The 993 immobilizer ECU communicates with the DME ECM over the K-Line and transmits a unique
code to allow the ECM to start the vehicle, i.e. energize crank relay, & begin engine signal processing.
This can't be bypassed without changing (re-flashing) the ECM programming.
3. The '96 993 DME ECM can't be re-flashed, as stated MANY times here on Rennlist.

Bottom line (again): Not Possible!

But when one has limited knowledge about anything other than what shift **** to buy,
suggest that a new ground cable is the solution, right?

And if still not understood, then read here: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...mobilizer.html
Old 01-05-2012, 12:41 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
But when one has limited knowledge about anything other than what shift **** to buy, suggest that a new ground cable is the solution, right?
Interesting response.

Andreas
Old 01-05-2012, 01:56 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Interesting response.

Andreas
Especially when ECUs can be swapped out = possible. Possibly he doesn't understand the meaning of the word possible?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:02 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

In my industry, and I believe others, I have heard "All things are possible, given judicious applications of time and money".

Not possible to flash a '96 DME? Probably correct. Not possible to find a way to bypass the Immobilizer? I think with time and money it could be done. Feasible? Spend a few hundred thousand bucks to create a solution? Not gonna happen.

I think the words "Not Possible" should be replaced with "Not Feasible"
Old 01-05-2012, 10:42 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How about "Not Advised". Once you start messing with the car's brains, you are asking for trouble. These things are already twitchy enough.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:08 AM
kilodawg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Embedded in all these responses was a reference to a post that Juha found yesterday. It appears to sync up with the high level overview that Lorenfb mentions with one key exception. According to that post there is a way around.

Here is the quote:

The DME must be reprogrammed to no longer need the "ok to start" signal from the immobilizer. Todd Knighton of Protomotive did this for me. I sent it to him Fedex and he sent it back the very next day. He told me that there is a single bit in the code that looks for the signal from the immobilizer and it is either on or off. This MUST be knocked out, or the car will not start if the immobilizer module is removed.

Now, the car will not look for the "ok to start" signal. Great.

Now is this true and or possible or not? If it is true the so-called "Not possible" or "Not feasible" fix did not appear to be too difficult or time consuming. If you have any questions about shift ***** pass them on. I'm an expert
Old 01-05-2012, 11:46 AM
kilodawg
Racer

Oh and regarding my '74 Targa. That was the Winter Park sinkhole back in '81 another case of my "luck". I did get the car back and later it nearly drove off a bridge but that's another story.

Today's update. Car is atthe shop!
Old 01-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"The DME must be reprogrammed to no longer need the "ok to start" signal from the immobilizer."

Right, as posted many times before here on Rennlist, but only with regard to
the '97/'98 re-flashable DME ECM and NOT the '96 DME ECM which is what
this thread was initially in reference to.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:22 PM
kilodawg
Racer

Okay Loren I hear what you are saying and am not questioning it. Just trying to understand what statements that have been made are accurate or not. In the quote we are both referring to the DME ECM that's being referenced was from an early '96 993TT per the poster. Based on that statement do you feel the posters claim was accurate and valid or not?

If we can ferret out posts where inaccurate claims are made that may give false hope it will help everybody out in the long run. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2012, 12:31 PM
kilodawg
Racer

Loren,

One other thought. In your opinion, if somebody with a '96 has an immobilizer failure what solutions are open to them? Not to delete the immobilizer necessarily but to get a car that can start. Anything other that switching to the later ECU and those associated issues and expenses, or tracking down a new or used immobilizer?
Old 01-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Since my car is in hibernation for the next couple of months, I will ask my friend to have a go at this; I am 99,9% that he will find a way to trick the ECU.

Quick Reply: The Immobilizer Strikes Back!!!!!! HELP!!!!