Sponsored by:

Not a great start to the new year, got burglarized

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 04:28 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not a great start to the new year, got burglarized

Went to San Diego for a week, get a call from the daughter staying home that sometime during the early morning someone broke into the house but nothing appears to be taken. We have a dog so we first thought she must have scared them off. Race home 500 miles from San Diego to Sacramento, get in last night about 11, quick look around and all seems fine until we go back to the bedroom to find all the wife's and my jewelry are gone.

The big thing is not the value but the sentiment. We are not big on jewelry but what we have has been passed down from parents and grandparents. Jan is heartbroken, her mother passed unexpectedly last year and they took her wedding ring. They also got a watch and two rings my grandfather gave me when I was young.

We both feel miserable today. Insurance adjuster is coming today to get an estimate on the door replacement and missing stuff. Have no clue how to even place a value on most of this stuff. We don't have pictures of it so not sure how big a fight we'll get from the insurance company on what it's worth.

Big lesson here is take a picture of everything and don't put the good stuff out where it can be grabbed. The only thing they targeted was the jewelry boxes. We may as well have put up a sign saying here's the stuff you want. What I can't figure out is where the darn dog was during all this. Only good thing in this mess is the daughter was home and didn't get hurt, for that we are grateful.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Spidey 993

Sorry to hear this. The sentimental value on the items from deceased family members can't be replaced. Heart breaking indeed.

Last time I go broke into living in San Diego, my dog was found licking his chops over a peanut butter sandwhich for hours afterwards.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:56 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

My home (previous) was burglarized twice. A third attempt was made and I gave up on the neighborhood. I hate thieves on so many levels. Why do they think it's okay to take your stuff? Why do they think it's okay for them to break into your space? I don't think of myself as a vengeful or violent guy but I often fantasize about might have happened if I had been home and heard them coming in. Good that your daughter is safe!

Over the years I purchased a bit of gold jewelry on business trips to the Middle East. I never thought much about the total value until it was all stolen. It was valued at over $13k and my insurance policy had a $2500 max for jewelry. It is good to have pictures, appraisals, and know what your insurance covers.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:56 PM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear that. This economy just drives people to desperate measures. I am nut jsutifying the act, but just shows us that the economy is still in bad despite of what the gov is telling us.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:07 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

IMO the state of the economy is not the reason for acts like this. These are hardened criminals who have 'chosen' this path, not opportunistic thieves looking for a way pay their mortgage.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:16 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sorry Roger, that is terrible.

Hang in there... and good luck with the insurance. Hopefully they can at least make you whole financially.

PS- there seems to be a pattern of quick break-ins taking place and they are going for jewelry. The price of gold is a factor, I'm sure.
Our neighbors (in a small, rural neighborhood) were broken into mid-day. They have an alarm and the dirtbags went for jewelry... and got out. They didn't get much at all since they were smarter than I am (was) and had already taken the precautions that I am sure you will now take.
A small (hidden) safe is a great little investment.

I only hope that I get to catch one of these losers one day... I'm ready. And waiting.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:31 PM
993::hb
Advanced

Sorry to hear - that is terrible! It happened to me about a month ago but they only took watches and items that were replacable.

I also had some things from my great grandparents (watches) and was lucky enough they didnt take it. ALso had my car keys laying around and surprisingly they didnt take the cars!

I dont care what the reasons are but these people are dirt!! Good luck
Old 01-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wow

I'm sorry to hear.

Putting things in perspective, the most important thing is that your daughter is ok.... That's priceless.

Hope insurance takes care of you.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Very sorry to hear about this. Two posts about this in one day is just terrible.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry for your problems. I would second the safe suggestion. We have a fairly large one mostly for the guns but also for the wife's jewelry. (1 of her pieces is worth more than all of my firearms combined)

We have a Personal Articles Policy too since the basic homeowners policy is limited to $5k of jewelry. I know it would never replace family heirlooms though. Keep an eye out on Craigslist too, maybe you'll get lucky and they'll show up.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:13 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 290 Posts

Having been through this a couple of times in the past, I really hate it for you. It will take a long time to get over the feelings of violation, anger and distrust...if you ever do. For those out there who aren't prepared: a)Get a good security system with cellular back-up. (w/o cellular is worthless). b)Get a very good, heavy gunsafe and bolt it to a concrete floor or through wall studs. Never assume that you are immune from something like this. c)If you are so inclined and can do so legally, get a concealed carry permit and become proficient. We are also targets for hold-ups and car-jackings as well. d)Carry a dummy wallet in your vehicle filled with those fake credit cards you get in the mail and a few small denomination bills. Am I paranoid? You bet! I refuse to become a victim!
Old 01-03-2012, 06:13 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 170 Posts

Sorry to hear about this, but hope your insurance is able to at least soften the pain; thanks for the advice on taking inventory/pictures of any valuables. I sure hope these recent posts on robberies don't become a new trend.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Leon993
Racer

start coming all the pawn shops in your area, you may find some of the items to buy back. Sorry to hear.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:16 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Thanks guys, really appreciate the thoughts. Day just keeps going downhill. Just got off the phone with the adjuster who informed me that while I have tons of insurance for personal possessions, jewelry is limited to $2.5k which is adding insult to injury. Crap!
Old 01-03-2012, 06:18 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tjangi
This economy just drives people to desperate measures.
Uh, what?

Quick Reply: Not a great start to the new year, got burglarized