Are these can housings useable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 11:17 AM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Are these can housings useable?

Hi There

I have cross posted this on Pelican also.

These are the chain housings from my 993. They were taken off the car and washed down with a general all purpose kitchen degreaser. They were washed off with water afterwards. They were then left in plastic bags for 6 months.

I was not around when they came off the car so am not sure what they were like when removed. These pictures show the housings after much washing and high pressure water blasting. There seems to be some deposit on the interior surfaces of the housings. Before blasting it could be scraped off with a razor blade. Even afterwards some can be got off.

My question is do these housings look normal, or has the surface been damaged in some way, perhaps by the degreaser? Pictures below.......

Many thanks

Berni
Old 12-31-2011, 11:49 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I have seen stuff like this before - its a weird coating that can come off if scrubbed/scraped, but its not clear where its from.

I usually wash this parts in my parts washer (solvent based), then rinse down with brake cleaner and wipe off. My rule is discoloration is ok, but any surface looseness is not, since you do not want pieces to get into the oil, and any roughness around oil seals (O rings, gaskets, etc) is an issue.

The top shop shows the pitting on the inside of the case - definitely down to the metal. Have you tried some minor abrasives like steel wool to make sure its cleaned up well?

How is the inside barrel where the camshaft seal goes? Any pitting or surface inconsistencies could result in oil leaks. Your gasket sealing surfaces look normal.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-31-2011, 01:48 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Nothing to be overly concerned about; its simply carbonized oil deposits due to heat.

As Mike said, just get it clean and make sure nothing can fall off into the engine.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:06 PM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Guys

Thank you VERY much for the replies. I used some soapy steel wool with good results. Cam housing going on just in time for the new year!

All the best

Berni

Quick Reply: Are these can housings useable?