Sponsored by:

Smell diagnosis help

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 08:25 PM
appear
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by earossi
First off, you must check the oil with the engine running, not shut down. To do this, park the car in a level and flat area and allow the engine to idle down for about a minute to equalize oil volumes in your system. Then with the engine still running, and the oil temperature at normal temperature, pull the dip stick out of the oil tank and wipe it clean and then re-insert it fully into the dip stick tube. Make certain that the seal on the end of the stick fully contacts the lip on the dip stick tube. Then quickly remove the dip stick from the car and take a reading. It is sometimes difficult to see the upper mark of the oil well, particularly if you are attempting to measure newly installed clean oil!

The entire twisted portion of the dip stick represents, I believe, a little over one quart. So, you can "guesstimate" where you are by looking at it. It is normal for a car that is fully topped off to register about midway through the twisted section of the dip stick (hot oil).

Once you have established that your oil is at the correct level, wait until the oil is hot (by reading the temp gauge), and then at idle take note of where the oil level needle settles out on the oil level gauge. Normally, it will level out at 1/3 to 1/2 of full scale. You are doing this to establish for your unique car what gauge setting corresponds to full oil level. This gauge reading is not consistent from car to car, so it is important that you know where the "full" mark is for your car. Also, the oil level gauge normally will not register when the oil is cold; so, allow the car to heat up before expecting to see the gauge indicate an oil level.

As your car consumes oil, the level gauge will begin to show a drop when read hot and at idle. You will be ok NOT measuring the oil level at the engine until the gauge drops to slightly above "0". That should put you about one quart low. I would not top off your oil until you are at least one quart low. It is better to run these engines slightly low on oil rather than over filled. Ideally, running a 911 engine about 1/2 quart below max level is the best place to run the motor.

Secondly, it is normal for an air cooled motor to consume oil. If the engine is tight and has no external leaks, you can expect oil consumption to be as low as about a quart every 2000-3000 miles (4000 km). So, I would not be alarmed in the least to see oil consumption of 2 to 3 liters over 10,000 km. As the motor wears and if you develop some external seepage (typical), you will see oil consumption begin to rise. You should not consider any mechanical work to correct oil consumption until you see burn rates of about 1 liter every 1000-1200 km. At that point, you will more than likely require a top end rebuild of the motor. A well maintained car will usually run about 100,000 miles before requiring any major engine work. With good maintenance, the bottom end of these motors are usually good for about 200,000 miles.

Hope that helps.
BIG THANK YOU.

I did exactly as you described and when I measured on the stick the oil was exactly in the middle of the twisted area, so far so good.

I then took the car to Porsche today as I wanted to make sure I was not doing anything wrong. They spent 15 minutes on warming the car up to an exact temperature and then read the dip-stick. It showed I was in the low-to-middle part of the twisted part. We agreed to add 0,5 liter and instantly the indicator inside the car climbed to circa mid-level. So in my car the difference between low/red level to medium is 0,5 liter oil, seems a little odd to me.

Afterwards I drove the car for 30 minutes re-measured again, the results were the same.

I can conclude my car has consumed around 0,5 liter oil over approx. 4.500 km's, mostly autobahn driving at 150+ Km/h speeds. From the posts here I think that sounds rather reasonable.

Regarding the smell the mechanics spent 30-45 minutes going over the car and found 'something'. However, the mechanics only speak italian so the little I could conclude is that something, maybe the wheelbearing, had a leak that caused the smell - they said it was a 3 hour job to fix. I have booked an appointment to have it fixed.

With my new knowledge I will not keep a close eye on my oil consumption and start a small saving for the eventual engine rebuild
Old 12-29-2011, 08:32 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Appear,

With only 50,000 miles, and your very reasonable oil consumption, you will not need to worry about an engine rebuild for another 200,000 miles. Sheesh... its not even broken-in yet! Stop worrying. Enjoy.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:39 PM
appear
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Appear,

With only 50,000 miles, and your very reasonable oil consumption, you will not need to worry about an engine rebuild for another 200,000 miles. Sheesh... its not even broken-in yet! Stop worrying. Enjoy.
Thanks, I will! I'm still adjusting and learning after the Boxster to 993 switch. I put 10-15.000 Kms on the Boxster yearly, and it didn't use any oil even at 100.000 mileage. With that car it was the water situation that had me worried, especially after the coolant tank cracked and converted my rear trunk into a coolant-pool. I never got rid of the slight bubblegum fumes on hot summerdays
Old 12-29-2011, 09:35 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Appear,
You might enjoy Adrian Streather's book 'Porsche 993 The Essential Companion'. Used copies on Amazon go for $50-60 I think. Tons of useful information on your 993.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Christian J
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You were lapping at Monza? Minchia!
Old 12-30-2011, 10:55 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by appear
I then took the car to Porsche today as I wanted to make sure I was not doing anything wrong. They spent 15 minutes on warming the car up to an exact temperature and then read the dip-stick. It showed I was in the low-to-middle part of the twisted part. We agreed to add 0,5 liter and instantly the indicator inside the car climbed to circa mid-level. So in my car the difference between low/red level to medium is 0,5 liter oil, seems a little odd to me.
If I recall correctly, the range on the dipstick is 1.5 liters (1.59 qt)

The range on the interior gauge is 1 liter (1.06 qt))
Old 12-30-2011, 10:57 PM
appear
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Christian J
Minchia!
Hah! Where did you pick that up?

Quick Reply: Smell diagnosis help