Billet Valve Covers and hanging spark plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Billet Valve Covers and hanging spark plug wires

A few years back I joined the group buy on billet valve covers. The buy came with new seals (which I needed, the lowers were dripping heavily) and bolts.

Installed them, and the only thing that bugged me was the lack of support for the spark plug wires. I almost went back to the plastic covers because of that... it's been gnawing at me ever since. I preferentially oriented the wires to eliminate them touching each other, but still, it just wasn't as perfect as I'd like.

Recently I was Christmas shopping for myself, and came across spark plug wire clips for the lower valve covers on the Pelican site (p/n 964-602-559-00-M100).

Only $0.75 a piece, so I ordered six of them. Should be here in a few days.

Hope this helps other perfectionists out there!

As for my other "gifts" to myself... Rennline solid subframe mounts, SSK short shift kit from Mark/Darin, and Weltmeister solid tranny mount. Hopefully I'll have them all installed before Christmas, making my real gift that first drive!
Old 12-20-2011, 01:06 PM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff: Where were you when I bought and then sold the Hargetts, and spent $$$ more to get Eagle day because of the clips on the ED covers.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:08 PM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What your issue?

I do not understand your problem.I have Hag. upper and lower on all three of my 993's and have never had any problems.The Eagle Day lowers do not fit a twin turbo with out modification they are too thick.I have never had any running problems and my RS clone gets used all year long with no lower engine cover.The plug wires get covered in mud/snow and salt.Still no problems in four years.The Eagle Day just do not make $ at 40% more.What exactly is it that you do not like?The wires are to short to touch each other.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:28 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by 77'3.6vram
I have Hag. upper and lower on all three of my 993's and have never had any problems.
I have OEM upper and lower covers on my 993 and do not have any problems. Its amazing what new seals will do to put an end to oil leaks.

As a added bonus, they even come with wire holders.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I have OEM upper and lower covers on my 993 and do not have any problems. Its amazing what new seals will do to put an end to oil leaks.

As a added bonus, they even come with wire holders.
I agree Alex, but at the time there was a consensus that the covers were warping, and needed replaced. After replacing mine I took a harder look at the old ones... no warpage at all. I've saved the old ones, when it's time to replace the seals again I'll use the original covers.

But in the interim, I'll use the clips to better manage the plug wires.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:05 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeff96-993
I agree Alex, but at the time there was a consensus that the covers were warping, and needed replaced. After replacing mine I took a harder look at the old ones... no warpage at all.
One of the navy guys at work put it best..."the internet is the largest source of unconfirmed information". And I agree; one needs to know enough to sift through the inaccurate info.

Did you install new wires?
Old 12-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

One of the navy guys at work put it best..."the internet is the largest source of unconfirmed information". And I agree; one needs to know enough to sift through the inaccurate info.

Did you install new wires?
I installed new wires at the 60K service... now have 75K on the clock.

The seals lasted to 65K or so before they started leaking, so it was already taken care of at that point.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:30 PM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking More about the look than anything

It's all about making the engine look solid.Plastic looks cheep.That's the bottom line.The VRAM manifold/case / cylenders / fan are all metal of some form.The valve covers were metal for thirty plus years.The reason the 993's are plastic is because the eastern influence on the bean counters.That heat dissipation is just an excuse to make an extra $50.00 per car.Why fight reality.Alex,you know you want them.Live it up a bit!BUY what looks right.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:44 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Live it up a bit!BUY what looks right.
But get the wire clips... they cost nothing. The end result is much more pure, from an engineering point of view.

Or stay with the original plastic stuff and don't worry about... just replace the rubber gaskets.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:57 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Alex, you know you want them. Live it up a bit! BUY what looks right.
Actually IMO, the Hargett covers look like $hit with those machining marks. If I did buy aftermarket, I'd go with the Eagle Day covers.

And in the end, why replace what works. My OEM covers don't leak, at least not after replacing the fourteen-year-old rubber seals that had hardened years earlier, they're not warped (urban legend), and they look great...not that anyone can see them, or the Hargett or Eagle Day valve covers.

Hargett 993 valve covers...

Eagle Day 993 valve covers (available in various colors) and finned to dissipate heat...

And my bone-dry OEM Porsche 993 valve covers with my new self-made Beru silicone copper ignition cables ...

You know I am immune to Kool-Aid. BUT...whatever turns everyone's crank.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:27 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

You know I am immune to Kool-Aid. BUT...whatever turns everyone's crank.
Alright, alright... I agree. But whatever, if you did drink the Kool-Aid (like me) you can at least clean up those plug wires.

Which I'll do soon.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:25 AM
tommyg
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Zero problems with this set-up, and Curil-T gasket sealer on the advice of Mark/Darin @ FD.

Name:  DSC00797.jpg
Views: 1316
Size:  100.7 KB
Old 12-21-2011, 10:04 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tommyg
Curil-T gasket sealer...
On a rubber seal? Shouldn't be necessary. Or are you talking about a gasket?

The only product I use, and that is on O-rings, is Molykote 55 for lubrication and a better seal.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:25 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Mark, I got an e-mail notification to this thread that you had posted a reply looking for a pic to my valve covers...but I guess you deleted the post after seeing it.

In any case, that pic was taken a year after replacing the valve cover seals. Note the clean tops of the heat exhangers. But I will report when they do leak.

I got an e-mail from Andreas. He reports that his are still bone dry after replacing the valve cover seals some 5 years ago.

I am also keeping track of which of my original spark plug caps are failing; so far they are 16 years old and all are still operational, but I will also report when one or more do fail.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:04 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On a rubber seal? Shouldn't be necessary. Or are you talking about a gasket?

The only product I use, and that is on O-rings, is Molykote 55 for lubrication and a better seal.
not required but is common to use in various gaskets on an air cooled 911
it is a non-hardening sealer

of course, you can do as you please

any case, that pic was taken a year after replacing the valve cover seals. Note the clean tops of the heat exhangers. But I will report when they do leak.
am also keeping track of which of my original spark plug caps are failing; so far they are 16 years old and all are still operational, but I will also report when one or more do fail.
great!
I'll be standing by
I have no doubt they will stay dry a very long time. Years. No reason why they shouldn't since your valve covers were perfect.

there are other reasons people choose to replace the VCs (we know, you are "immune") and that is obviously OK too. Your choice.

There are also choices out there when it comes to replacement VCs, with corresponding prices. Eagle Day are quite a bit more $$$

see, it's all about choice.
there is often more than one right answer.
it's a wonderful thing, choice
hard to swallow, I know, but there it is

have a great day...
I know I will, taking the day off of work so I can work
spending the day dropping the lump on a 993

Quick Reply: Billet Valve Covers and hanging spark plug wires