Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sloan Cars - the topic re-explored

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 10:09 AM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

I've been to his shop on several occasions, he's a used car salesman with a great inventory. Who cares if he owns them. He's very approachable and those prices are advertised prices not selling prices. To the OP, I'd be happy to do a rennfax on anything you're interested in at his shop. Richard has never been shy about test drives or leaving time to carefully examine and photograph cars that I've been interested in. For an independent PPI in this area, you have three good choices: Musante in South Windsor, Hairy Dog Grrage in Oxford and Automotive Associates in Canton.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:23 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
So, how did something as simple and cheap to replace as 4 hood/engine lid shocks get missed. Did they all fail on the drive off the lot?
I dont know the guy and havent bought from him but I see his stuff.

As far the struts they could be like mine. When it is warm they work perfect. When it is cold they dont. Others tell me theirs are the reverse.

But it says, HE says, he will replace it. Take it in and see if his warranty is good if it aint working. That is assuming you just bought it there.

Separately, I would not worry about what the title says as being in his name. As pointed out above a dealer is not going to change all those titles. One thing would be that he would have to pay tax on all of those changes. That is one of the reasons he has a dealers license, is to not pay tax except to collect sales taxes from you and provide you with the plates and titles.

I have always been treated well by these sellers. On thing is I am going to satisfy myself about what I am buying whether that is with Sloan, Victory, the local dealer, or any other. I approach it the same.

Like several other I too was looking at the RS. When I go near his shop I am going to go by. Unless he has something I have to have before that.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:49 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
Take it in and see if his warranty is good if it ain't working. That is assuming you just bought it there.
I didn't but someone I know did. I replaced the struts on his car. No temperature change that might explain failure in this case as some have mentioned.

But the point is, if one claims to be thorough in their inspections and they miss something as simple as struts, what the heck are they missing that really matters.

Last edited by IXLR8; 12-16-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:00 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The struts in my 993 C2S were working perfectly in the warm climate they came from as confirmed by the independent PPI. Long trip north and upon arrival the engine struts worked fine, the front trunk ones didn't. Seller (TEAM Motorsports) promptly took care of it and then some (rounded up for inconvenience). I was amazed at how temperature sensitive the struts could be.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:57 AM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know of many "used car salesman" that buy cars high and sell them low.....

I've spoken to Richard , and he seems to know his cars. I would feel pretty confident buying from him after a PPI .
Old 12-16-2011, 12:21 PM
SQK993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bough a car from him and had an overall great experience. He does not own all the cars(most) but I don't think that is a big deal as long as they are legal. The cars he sells are mostly prestime cars and hard cars to find, in my book that has a price. I am sure finding a 6,300 mile,speed yellow and highly optioned 993 C2S is not something that is very comon for example. My story in closing is I paid for what I got a prestime, Turn Key car.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:28 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SQK993
The cars he sells are mostly pristine cars and hard cars to find, in my book that has a price.
I can accept that.

But at top dollar, I would also expect a thoroughly inspected car and even the slightest issues corrected.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:05 PM
E_T
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a car from Sloan a few months ago, details described in this thread: "993 redux - back to the fatherland (well, nearly)" Sorry for not hotlinking it, my ineptitude.

Car is great, as it should be in this price segment, but I am still annoyed that the two PPIs did not catch that all fours gas struts had to be replaced, "tire change" resulted in replacing the tires for older ones than what originally on the car, that the "full fluid change" allegedly performed was objected to by the local dealer here, and had to be redone (brake fluid + transmission). RS also objected to my choice of shop to do the PPI, and I went with the one he recommended instead.

I am still annoyed about the lack of post transaction communication, as I have raised these issues with him.

I am very pleased with the car, which is in truly great condition. Now. I took some risks (e.g. did not see the car before I bought it and exported it from the US), and all in all it turned out fine. Would I do it all again, given the information I had available on the car (from RS and from the guy who sold it to RS literally a day or two before I managed to pull the trigger, thus ending up paying a middle man premium)? Perhaps. Would I do it again, site unseen and with a car I did not have a lot of information on? Probably not. If you have a chance to go see it for yourself, chose your own shop to do the PPI you will most likely be fine. All in all a qualified recommendation.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:41 PM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Six weeks to get idle- playing fast and loose

The reason I stated that the tilde took six weeks to show up and was not in his name was to indicate that he did not own the car at the time of the sale and the tidle was not in his position.In CT this is not a legal way for a used car salesmen to sell a consigned car.He had no right to offer the car for sale without the tilde being in his hands and he needed to have a legal consignment agreement in place.Neither was the case.Playing fast and loose is not legal in CT.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:17 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by E_T
RS also objected to my choice of shop to do the PPI, and I went with the one he recommended instead.
Hmmm, I wonder why.

He'd have to provide me with one of his bays with a lift for an hour or two. I'd want to inspect it myself.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:19 PM
PecosBill
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 77'3.6vram
The reason I stated that the tilde took six weeks to show up and was not in his name was to indicate that he did not own the car at the time of the sale and the tidle was not in his position.In CT this is not a legal way for a used car salesmen to sell a consigned car.He had no right to offer the car for sale without the tilde being in his hands and he needed to have a legal consignment agreement in place.Neither was the case.Playing fast and loose is not legal in CT.

You guys spell "title" funny, over there in CT.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:24 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

We're New Englanders and nobody should buy a car without a clear Tilde (aka Title). Tilde is from the old Latin, King's Grant, Baronial lands...
Old 12-16-2011, 08:57 PM
LaurenceG
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I just purchased a one owner, 4300 mile, 1996 C2 (polar silver/navy) from Richard Sloan. The car was consigned from the original 75 year old owner in Pittsburgh. Nate Cantwell (2.7 RS guru) and I carefully inspected the vehicle and found it to be as described. I also spoke with the owner who validated Richard's description. Richard supplied new hood and rear lid struts-he offered to install them but I opted to let Auto Associates/Jim Newton take care of the details in the spring.
We also browsed Richard's inventory. Most of his cars were low mileage, excellent condition examples.
Overall I am pleased with my experience.
Larry
Old 12-16-2011, 09:27 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by crw
Q: Are your cars sold on consignment?
A: No, I own them all
So, based on all the responses so far, he's a GD liar. I'm really itchin' to buy a car from him now.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:35 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I've never been to Sloan, but if I were considering buying from him, I would treat it like any large purchase - it would be a case of "buyer beware". Reading about some bad transactions would only play into my being more cautious, but may not necessarily stop me from buying from him.

Quick Reply: Sloan Cars - the topic re-explored