Introduction - 993 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 12:34 AM
appear
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Introduction - 993 C2S

Hello Rennlisters!

Today marks the day for my first anniversary as an 993 enthusiast!

I have been coming here daily (more like hourly to be honest) for the past year and I think it is due time for me to introduce myself and my car!

My previous car was also the first vehicle I ever owned - a 986 2.5l TipTronic. I got it on my 23rd birthday as a result of 5 years very very hard work. To some a quite sad excuse for a 'Real Porsche', but for about 5 years it was the most sublime driving machine on the planet to me. It took me and my girlfriend through europe on 4 unforgettable road trips. It was my daily driver day in and out, year round (well, almost). It introduced me to terms such as 'fast enough to be fun' and made me appreciate handling as the primary performance parimeter of a car.

In the end I fell out of love with the 986/996 aesthetics and the hunt was on for my next car. My instincts told me to stick to the Boxster/Cayman platform (987) or save up for a 997. I live in Denmark where car-prices are through the roof due to ridicolous tax-rules ~ a '98 Boxster sells from 50k USD, '06 Cayman 110k usd and a '05 C2 997 170k USD (and up..) so buying a car here is a extra big decision.

I tried out a couple modern Porsches, and I got very close to getting a Cayman S, but another buyer snatched it up right in front of me (and he now has it for sale again!). Bottomline: I didn't feel anything that came close to the same level of excitement over getting one of these cars, as I did when I bought the Boxster. I concluded nothing would ever match 'the first time' and settled with the idea getting a new car that I would like more aethetically (I had grown very tired of the 986 looks).

About this time one year ago I bought a Porsche magazine that had a special feature on the ocean blue 993 Targa. Right then and there I had a 'HOLD ON, WAIT A MINUTE' experience - a whole new alternative, I had to know more… I soon found this place, read about 500 posts (at least) within few weeks and got bitten big time by the 993-bug! In almost all other areas I prefer vintage over the 'latest and greatest' whether it's watches, furniture or music - so this instantly felt like a match for me on a personal level.

There were only two 993s for sale in Denmark and both were narrowbody cars. I knew I wanted a VarioRam, Widebody Black on Black. Coming from the Black over Tan Boxster I was ready for a more pure (to me, maybe plain to others) Porsche look. One of the advantages of living next door to Germany is the HUGE market they have for used cars, so when I started searching for my 993 I felt very confident that it would be a matter of weeks before the optimal car was in sight. Fast forward six (!!!) months and there have still not been a single car that lived up to my requirements. I stumpled across a few US imports, but I was dertermined to get a ROW car due to the costs of conversion, bumpers, gearbox and other known differences.

One of the wishes on the top of my list was a TipTronic S gearbox (thats right!). My first impressions of TipTronic cars from this forum were that they were completely useless, but fortunately I found the 911UK forums where there is a higher appreciation for this, in my opnion, very underrated gearbox! Before buying I tried out both, and while I think the 6-spd is great (but not perfect) and have no problems with manual shifting in general (it's in standard in all cars here) there was never really any for me doubt over which car to get (and zero regrets since) - I live in central copenhagen and this car is my daily ride to and from work + driven correct, the tip is very awesome! I alows me to steer more with my right arm, change with my left and I feel like a better and more relaxed driver with it. (NB. Don't want to start a war here...)

One day, out of the blue I found a 1998 (Feb.) Carrera S Tip with only 50.500 miles, perfect history and the same owner for 7-8 years - a 75 year old guy who in his own words hadn't bothered changing tyres for the past 4-5 year since he didnt drive over 100 km/h anyways - however he was recently forced to replace the tyres by the car-inspection authority so it came fitted with brand new P-Zero's (less than a month old). He sold due to the collapse of his business, so the sale was not very pleasant even though he was the kindest and most likeable guy I have ever met.

The car was in great condition (no damage - got a PPI @ Porsche Nüremberg) with many cool options: Turbo front bumper, hardbacks in good condition, hifi sound package, Chrome tips, 18" twist-hollows and the 'usual' S equipment (S door sills, motorsound-airbox etc)...

I have had my fair share of the slippery slope already. Here my list so far: Complete service (all fluids, filters, pads, oils, freon, belts, caps, wiper blades, fixed left door 'clicking' - everything really), professional detailing (complete disaster, but thats a whole other chapter), LLoyds Mats with Carrera S script, new black leather shifter (car came fitted with the horrible alu-option), Carrera S bagde (silver), tape-deck delete (tray), new headlamp lenses, Seperate key/remote kit, New remote-key, Turbo S front airscoops (LED), clear turn signals, red tail lights, clear sidemarkers, 3-spoke Steering wheel, new center caps (silver/black), new crest logo (color), Red Calipers, BMC Airfilter etc.. All parts from Gert Carneval (amazing to deal with, highly recommended / Mats from FD Motorsports, also perfect service). THANK YOU to everyone here who have contributed with knowledge, and please stand by for membership here

A couple of upgrades I feel good about:
Becker Cascade Pro 7941 + Becker iPod Kit + Becker Microphone + iPod Classic 160Gb (hidden in glove-compartment). Huge upgrade to both sound and modern comforts such as navigation (2010 Q4 maps) and iPhone4 Bluetooth connection.

TomTom Bluetooth iPhone4 car-dock.
A perfect replacement for the factory Nokia-phone dock my car came with. The mounting plate even fitted the holes 1:1 and the installers could reuse the original wires, so it looks very stock! I use the Navgion app sometimes and both ergonomically and 'visually' it's a very good location - very easy to reach with my regular-length arm and doesn't disturb my 'view'!

These are the only pictures I have of the interior (please exuse the crummy iPhone-quality):

RSR Exhaust
Amazing!! It adds so much more character to the car, and I felt a noticeable low-rev improvement straight away - installed at the same time as the BMC filter so maybe it's a combination.

Planned upgrades: Bilstein B16 PSS10 and SportsCat (200 Cell.) as soon as they are in stock @ Carnewal - very excited about getting these! Maybe sway-bar and bushes. And then eventually a complete re-detailing of both wheels and car. Maybe some day Quaife LSD, maybe...

In the same week I got plates on the car (after 2+ months of utterly unbearable waiting with the car stuck in the garage) I moved from Copenhagen to Padova in nothern Italy in an attempt to expand my small business. Besides the initial trip through europe* I have now travelled all over the country and put almost 4.000 miles on the car over the last 2-3 months - that has got to be one of the best ways to really get to know your new, old, 993 C2S! During the summer the AC was strong and I loved the open sunroof and highway speed... now when it's colder I appreciate how it proves itself as a all-year vehicle. I won't drive it in the snow, but for all other purposes this is THE car for me!

I feel a very strong connection with the car, one that I never felt with the Boxster and I plan to keep this one forever and continue to grow that bond with more cool trips and the day-to-day relationship!

* Autobahn 'documentation'

Instead of the usual pictures I will try something different and share an experience I had with my car today. I was in Milan this weekend to watch a football (soccer) match (Inter Milan v. Fiorentina) and I notcied there was an open-track day at the famous Monza racetrack that I have watched a milion times (Big F1 fan here!)... I dont have ANY track experience and I generally dont feel super confident in the sharp twists with my 'new' car yet (I need PSS10s!) so this was all just for the fun of it! I documented the trip in a video that I would like to share with you guys:

password: monza

Note:
- Don't underestimate the standard looking cars. These are real track monsters often fitted with Nitro-boosters or turbo kits...
- Comments about lack of talent are welcome, but wont come as a suprise (I know there are many track-junkies on here) - all I can say is that I gave it all I had in me, knowing that the car had at least 80% more
- Max. speed on the main-straight (speedo-reading, so deduct 3%): 145-150 Mph.
- HD-quality recommended

Wow... long post - please bear with the ESL-grammar and THANKS for reading guys!

Last edited by appear; 12-12-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:37 AM
993 770
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post and very well written... Enjoy the new ride!
Old 12-12-2011, 03:23 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Great post! Car looks sweet!
Old 12-12-2011, 03:55 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Great post, great car, great configuration.
P-Zeros on the car are great in DRY weather. Pay attention not to treat the car the same way under rain with these tyres. It will surprise you.
enjoy !
Old 12-12-2011, 04:10 AM
sander97C2
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for sharing appear! The 3-spoke steering wheel is classy, came from a 996, correct?
It seems to me that you found a really great 993. Plus it came with awesome factory options and you can't go wrong the PSS10 coilovers if you get them, because they will truly transform the car into a "street" beast
I wish my car came with the HB seats, they rock! I've got a blk/blk coupe too, so my plan is to soon acquire a 340 RAID Rascasse steering wheel and a MY'02 ALu/Leather shifter along with a set of Alu Gauge rings. IMO my interior needs some shiny parts
_keep up posted

edit: Moar ext. pics please
Old 12-12-2011, 05:26 AM
tommyg
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great story! Congratulations!!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:56 AM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the car come with option 224(ABD)?It's a must for a tiptronic car that is used as a daily driver.Why would you not buy a US spec car with the tip?There is no difference between the US tip box and the ROW tip box.That did not make sence to me.What do you think is different about a ROW tip tranny?Glad to see you bought a real car.I have both six speed and tiptronic(wife's) 993's and I agree with you that they are underrated and under valued.Try to get the money together to buy a FVD airbag 340mm steering wheel with the padel shifters.It is a really worthwhile upgrade ,but very expensive.Welcome!
Old 12-12-2011, 10:33 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Great story and nicely shot and cut, BTW :-) Thanks.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist. Great intro. Great car, enjoy.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Great posting, thanks for sharing. I had a 993 cab with a tip for several years and enjoyed it. A 6 speed would be my first choice, but the tip was great as long as I shifted it manually. There is a mod to replace the shift plate with a leather boot. It looks much better. Enjoy your new car and don't be a stranger. I have a feeling you'll fit in just fine!
Old 12-12-2011, 01:38 PM
appear
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993 770
Great post and very well written... Enjoy the new ride!
Thank you

Originally Posted by Mike J
Great post! Car looks sweet!
Thanks!!

Originally Posted by geolab
Great post, great car, great configuration.
P-Zeros on the car are great in DRY weather. Pay attention not to treat the car the same way under rain with these tyres. It will surprise you.
enjoy !
Thank you! I had P-Zeros fitted to my Boxster (went through 3 set during my ownership), but the few times the tyres let me down the TC was there to save my butt. That won't happen in the 993. But on the other hand, I have found the 993 to be very planted as long as you don't hit the throttle hard in the first two thirds of a turn-in!

Originally Posted by sander97C2
Thanks for sharing appear! The 3-spoke steering wheel is classy, came from a 996, correct?
It seems to me that you found a really great 993. Plus it came with awesome factory options and you can't go wrong the PSS10 coilovers if you get them, because they will truly transform the car into a "street" beast
I wish my car came with the HB seats, they rock! I've got a blk/blk coupe too, so my plan is to soon acquire a 340 RAID Rascasse steering wheel and a MY'02 ALu/Leather shifter along with a set of Alu Gauge rings. IMO my interior needs some shiny parts
_keep up posted

edit: Moar ext. pics please
Thanks. The 3-spoke is new from Carnewal so it's not out of another car. But it is the standard 996 wheel. My Boxster came with the 4-spoke which I also replaced with a 3-spoke. As soon as I got the 3-spoke in my 993 I felt much more at home. It's on the top of my fav. upgrades list.

Originally Posted by tommyg
Great story! Congratulations!!
Thank you Tommy.

Originally Posted by 77'3.6vram
Did the car come with option 224(ABD)?It's a must for a tiptronic car that is used as a daily driver.Why would you not buy a US spec car with the tip?There is no difference between the US tip box and the ROW tip box.That did not make sence to me.What do you think is different about a ROW tip tranny?Glad to see you bought a real car.I have both six speed and tiptronic(wife's) 993's and I agree with you that they are underrated and under valued.Try to get the money together to buy a FVD airbag 340mm steering wheel with the padel shifters.It is a really worthwhile upgrade ,but very expensive.Welcome!
Unfortunately the car did not come with 224 (ABD). That would have perfected the car for me. I have already looked into the possibility of retrofitting this, but I have been told to forget about. I will say that I have now passed the alps, the autobahn, driven a lot of city traffic in the autmn/winter conditions and I have yet to experience a 'moment'.

You are completely right. I did not mean to give the impression that I think US-993s are undesireable. BUT the few that had already made it to Europe and were 'in stock' at the dealers were not very desireable due to lack of history-documentation and weird mods (I have written a post about it earlier on here). The reason I mentioned the gearbox was due to the fact that I was also 'open' for a mint 4S, but a good specimen never showed up.

Re. value - there have been three C2S Tip cars in black similar to mine and they have all been sold within 1-2 weeks for a price higher than a standard spec 4S with average milage or low mileage C2 6-spd so they are doing somewhat better in europe. The seller of my car was a straight up guy and after we agreed I would come look at his car he bumped the price 5k EUR because he had so many requests (He gave me the original price). I know the prices because I contacted the sellers afterwards (65K USD and 72K USD, one was a US import). However in the bottom of the 993-price scale are the cabs and high mileage tips - I would LOVE to get a budget high mileage Cabrio Tip some day! And then there is this one with extra low milage, http://hansbos.nl/showroom/showroom_detailed.php?id=352 - I think the price is set at 75-80k USD. NB. All prices are EU, before danish 180% tax.

Thank you for the tip regarding the FVD Wheel. Paddles would be very awesome, but I have just upgraded to the 3-spoke and I like the original look very much. As a matter of fact I REALLY like the 'sequential' gear feel by shifting on the stick, I think it's great. But maybe down the line if I find some extra cash and feel like changing things up.

Originally Posted by JPP
Great story and nicely shot and cut, BTW :-) Thanks.
Thanks, my first iMovie project
Song is Jamiroquai - Black Devil car - I think it was originally written as a tribute to his Black Enzo.

Originally Posted by Academictech
Welcome to Rennlist. Great intro. Great car, enjoy.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
Great posting, thanks for sharing. I had a 993 cab with a tip for several years and enjoyed it. A 6 speed would be my first choice, but the tip was great as long as I shifted it manually. There is a mod to replace the shift plate with a leather boot. It looks much better. Enjoy your new car and don't be a stranger. I have a feeling you'll fit in just fine!
Thank you Chuck! I will look for the leather-booth mod
Old 12-12-2011, 07:20 PM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Great post, thanks for sharing. These cars do get in your blood a bit.

I have a quick ownership story myself. I have had 15 various Porsche's over the past 20 years; usually I own two at any given time. I have a 73 911S coupe that I bought 6 years ago in France that will never be sold and my current "modern" Porsche is a black/black 97 C2S. I sold a 2006 Carrera S for the C2S and couldn't be happier. Yesterday my 22 y/o daughter and I took the car out to pick up dinner and she said "Dad, you should keep this car for a long time, this is my favorite of all the Porsche's you've had." And she doesn't know a 993 from a 997 from a 914...gotta' give her credit for recognizing when something is jsut right and good.

Nick
Old 12-12-2011, 08:46 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice ride. You are correct that this car has much more potential on the race track. Try to sign up for some events with good instruction. The learning curve is very steep at the beginning!

Did I see a Big Pilot on your wrist?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:17 PM
keithgreer
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

We have very similar cars. Congratulations!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:23 AM
appear
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NickyP
Great post, thanks for sharing. These cars do get in your blood a bit.

I have a quick ownership story myself. I have had 15 various Porsche's over the past 20 years; usually I own two at any given time. I have a 73 911S coupe that I bought 6 years ago in France that will never be sold and my current "modern" Porsche is a black/black 97 C2S. I sold a 2006 Carrera S for the C2S and couldn't be happier. Yesterday my 22 y/o daughter and I took the car out to pick up dinner and she said "Dad, you should keep this car for a long time, this is my favorite of all the Porsche's you've had." And she doesn't know a 993 from a 997 from a 914...gotta' give her credit for recognizing when something is jsut right and good.

Nick
Thanks Nikcy. They really do get in your blood, I feel like this was the situation when I picked it up, and that I now have the Ark sitting in my garage

I like your story. I'm not THAT much older than your daughter (28), and I can confirm the 993 is popular with 'our generation' - I think it's because it's less poser than a spankin' new 911, and because it is a more individual choice of car...

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Nice ride. You are correct that this car has much more potential on the race track. Try to sign up for some events with good instruction. The learning curve is very steep at the beginning!

Did I see a Big Pilot on your wrist?
The guy in the white car in front of me offered me to take lessons from him (in that very car). So I'm going back to learn from him - he is a professional racing driver and porsche-certified instructor.

To be fair these videos were shot with my girlfriend in the car so I was not taking ANY chances. In the 2nd Free run I came closer to my limits

Yes, you did - I like the pilot for driving long trips (and now racing) because it's so easy to read the time in a split-sec. I used it to track my laptimes...

Originally Posted by keithgreer
We have very similar cars. Congratulations!
Thanks Keith! Compliments on your car

Last edited by appear; 12-13-2011 at 10:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Introduction - 993 C2S