Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

The Ultimate 993? GT1 for sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 11:24 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I love how the door check strap goes through the gussett in the roll bar.......
Attached Images  
Old 07-17-2012, 05:45 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Besides my 993 being garaged with a 996 GT1, I'm feeling even more lucky: 'Speedy' was showcased last week with a 993 GT1 for a by-invitation-only display Even better: it used to be raced by a RLer!
Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit

Haha I recognize those seats. Nice to know my lowly 993 runaround has a direct link to a $2 million supercar.
^^ +993. I'm an addict for OEM Recaro hard back sports bucket seats like we have.
That was just one of the many reasons I liked climbing around the GT1 pictured on the previous page.

Now, another's for sale in Germany

For more, check 9magazine.com's "Another GT1 Strassenversion Surfaces For Sale:"
Originally Posted by 9 Magazine

Almost exactly a year ago, we announced the sale of an extraordinarily rare 996 GT1 Strassenversion in Japan.
A second car, and the only one legally registered in the US went on sale in December of last year. It has recently come to our attention that a third has been offered. It is apparently a buyer’s market when it comes to these 20 homologation specials. This particular model is purported to be the last of the 20, and is registered in Germany as a 1998 model. It is touted to have only 4900 kilometers on the odometer, and is the recent recipient of a comprehensive service from Porsche’s facilities in Stuttgart. While I rarely believe someone when they tell me their car is “museum condition”, in this case, with a 2.325 million dollar asking price, it had certainly better be.

To view the listing, click here.

Source: Dupont Registry

Old 07-17-2012, 06:01 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If one ever come up for sale in Dallas and you need someone local to check out the car AND test drive it, I'll be happy to do it.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:51 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This one from Houston.

Last edited by x50type; 08-21-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:45 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by axl911

If one ever come up for sale in Dallas and you need someone local to check out the car AND test drive it, I'll be happy to do it.

Such a giver ^^

More eye candy & a write-up, thanks to classicDriver.com's "Porsche 911 GT1 Street Version:"
Originally Posted by Classic Driver

Homologation specials produce some of the most wondrous motor cars, and the Porsche 911 GT1 certainly qualifies as such. It married engineering elements of the 993-generation 911 and the legendary Group C 962, and cloaked the resultant underpinnings in striking bodywork.

But its gestation was inspired by a car from Woking, not Stuttgart. The McLaren F1 GTR dominated the 1995 Le Mans 24 Hours race, finishing first overall and 1-2-3 in class – and the fact it was propelled by a BMW V12 didn’t sit well with Porsche. Just six weeks after the F1 had cleaned up in France, Porsche announced that it would be restarting its factory-based GT programme and producing a new car to oppose the McLaren. Until then, Porsche’s contribution had been supplying 962s – by then over a decade old – to Dauer Racing, which had managed to guide one to the Le Mans crown before the McLaren whiteout took hold.

The task of the new project was entrusted to renowned engineer Norbert Singer, who had been instrumental in the company’s former triumphs at La Sarthe. Faced with a limited development window, Singer used segments of two existing cars so the new car could avoid time-consuming crash testing. The front end came from a 993-era 911 GT2, while the rear assembly and engine came from the 962; a tubular frame was employed to unite them.

This meant that despite Porsche’s instruction to ‘retain basic 911 characteristics’, the water-cooled, twin-turbo 3.2-litre engine was mounted amidships, rather than beyond the rear axle. The 911 GT1’s inauguration achieved a second place finish overall (a TWR-fettled Porsche LMP1 narrowly took first), as well as a 1-2 finish in the GT1 class – leaving the McLarens to fight among themselves for the remaining podium spot.

For the 1997 season, the FIA announced the creation of the new GT Championship. It would require at least 25 homologation cars to be produced, but since Porsche already had solid orders in place for a road-going version, it was given licence to enter a revised ‘Evo’ version of the 911 GT1. Changes included a new carbonfibre chassis, suspension tweaks and aerodynamic changes, as well as a set of the ‘fried egg’ headlights from the recently introduced 996-series 911.

As development continued throughout the season, Porsche began fulfilling the ‘Straßenversion’ (street version) orders with some restrained modifications for road use – namely a higher ride position, softer suspension, and more practical gear ratios. Slightly detuned, the engine still allowed for a 0-60mph sprint of 3.6 seconds and a 194mph top speed, but it promised improved reliability compared with the track cars. Inside, the dashboard was that of the 993-gen 911, and leather seats and carpeting provided a slightly more refined experience. Racing pedigree and limited numbers conspired to impose a retail price of $912,000.

Revised for the 1998 season, the 911 GT1 fended off competition from the Mercedes CLK GTR and others to take a 1-2 finish overall at Le Mans – after which the car was retired. Nevertheless, despite its relatively short lifespan in comparison to the 962, it had still served its purpose. The F1 had been shot down; the marque had added yet another Le Mans win to its roster; and (ironically, through homologation duty rather than choice) Porsche had a supercar to chronologically nestle between the 959 and Carrera GT.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:38 PM
BevHillsPorsche
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by curve lover
Photos I & RLer lthatch took of a GT1 that my lowly 993 has shacked up with...

Originally Posted by curve lover
Such a giver ^^

More eye candy & a write-up, thanks to classicDriver.com's "Porsche 911 GT1 Street Version:"

I have to agree on the 993 lights, I think they look better although I like the body on the last 996 versions that raced at LeMans.

Such a cool car!
Old 08-17-2012, 08:04 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

This thread reminds me of this fabulous GT-1 replica that a guy constructed by hand. A really first class job, and I don't even mind the Chevy power. It was for sale, but I don't remember the price. This was from the German Auto Fest in Ventura, California in 2007:
Attached Images    
Old 10-21-2012, 04:10 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

More 993 GT1 whiteness:

Old 10-22-2012, 06:34 AM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in ow wow this is a dream

I find myself drawn to the round headlights, they go a long way on the front of a porsche, or any car

Quick Reply: The Ultimate 993? GT1 for sale