Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 06:55 PM
boursachi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odometer assembly - Motor dead? *Not the gear*

Hello gentlemen,
So my odometer is stuck!
I did a search way back when and I ordered the gear that I found came highly recommended in the posts.

However, while I was traveling, they tried replacing the gear and it did not work. *It did work on my R129 MB though, I ordered two gears*.

They tell me there is a motor in the odometer assembly that needs fixing/replacement.

Can anyone be kind enough as to show me what part they are talking about, if they have the diagram from a Parts catalogue?
Any educated guesses on what the part number should be so I can search for it?

To be honest, I WANT my 993 to read high, really high, numbers.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:47 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

The odometer motor is part of an odometer and doesn't have a separate part number (none of the internal parts do).

Unless the shop blew the motor while repairing the odometer, the motor usually would not be a problem. If it is a problem, you'd have to buy a new speedometer or a used one and replace the motor.

Not, it's really unclear from what you wrote, but what was replaced by the shop, exactly? There are two gears. Small one usually goes wrong. Sometimes both do. I have here a speedometer with 70K miles with both gears freshly replaced - both were going bad. BTW, I'll be selling it shortly.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:58 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

I assume your speedometer is working but NOT the odometer. Mike is right it is usually the small gear that breaks but if your are in there replace both gears, the bulbs and clean the lens.

Here is the DIY:

http://p-car.com/diy/odometer/

Go here for parts:

http://www.odometergears.com/

or work out a deal to buy Mike's
Old 02-09-2012, 11:11 AM
boursachi
Advanced

UPDATE!! have a working odometer finally
did not replace the motor, it was indeed the gear
my guy just approached the matter differently and fortunately it worked! it was not a matter of fitting the new gear, something was jammed i guess
i deleted the buzzer sound at 75mph+ while i was at it

QUESTION:
for replacing the OBD bulb, MUST i remove the steering wheel?
Old 02-09-2012, 04:46 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

No, the tachometer can be taken out with steering wheel in place.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:56 PM
boursachi
Advanced

thanks, do you mean i can pop it out like i do with the speedometer? will it fit to come out, any tips or tricks?

oh and turns out i did indeed disable the buzzer that goes on when i reach 75mph but seems like we pulled the wrong wire (blue) since the speedometer on the OBD is always at 0
Old 02-09-2012, 07:07 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by boursachi
i deleted the buzzer sound at 75mph+ while i was at it
What is this that you speak of?

Andreas
Old 02-09-2012, 07:10 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Yeah. What buzzer???
Old 02-09-2012, 07:14 PM
boursachi
Advanced

gentlemen, the speed limit over here is at 120kmh (75mph), so whenever the car used to reach that speed a very annoying sound would go off and remain unless i go below 120kmh again

so, about that tachometer removal to access the OBD lightbulb, please?
Old 02-09-2012, 07:17 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

I believe that OP means the settable speed limit on OBC. OBC, not OBD which confuses everybody.

Tachometer can be carefully wiggled out of its hole with steering wheel in place. You might want to take out the top plastic piece around the back of the steering wheel to make it easier to remove tech.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:28 PM
keithgreer
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I wiggled my tach out last week to replace a bulb. I did it without taking off the plastic piece. but it is a very tight fit to get it out.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:28 AM
boursachi
Advanced

Originally Posted by nile13
I believe that OP means the settable speed limit on OBC. OBC, not OBD which confuses everybody.
Tachometer can be carefully wiggled out of its hole with steering wheel in place. You might want to take out the top plastic piece around the back of the steering wheel to make it easier to remove tech.
yes, sorry! on board computer is working for everything else now except reading the speed i actually wish to take out the tacho because the obc's bulb needs replacement

Originally Posted by keithgreer
I wiggled my tach out last week to replace a bulb. I did it without taking off the plastic piece. but it is a very tight fit to get it out.
thanks, i think i'll go try that right now!
Old 02-10-2012, 08:10 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 258 Posts

It's a tight fit, but completely possible to take out the tacho without disassembling the steering wheel or parts of it. Have a look here for tips on how to do it.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 02-18-2012, 06:04 PM
boursachi
Advanced

Gentlemen, I ended up taking the steering wheel out to simultaneously fix the turn signal - it would not 'stick' when I push it upwards to give a RIGHT turn (but would do so when I push to stick for LEFT turn). Fortunately, we got it fixed and it is working now.

I also managed to get my odometer working again as I mentioned in my previous posts BUT now I am wondering if my odometer is measuring it in MILES. Is that even possible? My speedo is in KM/H and it is a Gulf spec car.
I was made aware that there are different motors for them, KMH vs MPH but I seriously doubt that.

With the help of my NEW bulb for the OBC I tried matching the mileage on the digital reading vs the one on the odometer. Well, based on my quick conversions I think that I am indeed clocking 1.6km/h for every km on the odometer.

I really do NOT care for what it is as I am just really happy to clock-away for the reading but it would be nice to understand what is going on and what the possibilities are.

MOST IMPORTANTLY
Gents, I am now getting the Exclamation light come on approximately 5 seconds after I start the car. When I press the button on the console, it goes away. It does not come on until I switch off/on the car once more. Again, after 5 seconds or so.

EVERYTHING seems to be in working order, all the lights and switches and electronics work fine. I drove the car over 100km and I never noticed a thing.

Any usual stuff I should look out for post-reinstalling the steering wheel, before I do a trial & error?
If I'm honest, I couldn't care less at this point as I have FINALLY finished my 993 project both exterior, interior, and electronics/glitches/practiciality-wise!!
Attached Images     
Old 02-18-2012, 08:15 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can tell you right now that by turning the car on without the wheels installed you've tripped teh airbag light (that is probably your Exclamation mark reason right there). It also means that your airbag light bulb might be missing as you would have seen it.

If you have taken the steering wheel off the car with battery still connected you or your mechanic are either pretty brave or...

Quick Reply: Odometer assembly - Motor dead? *Not the gear*