Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

DIY - How to get interior fan working again /w heater bypass tube

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 06:07 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Bump for a great thread! Installed the RS bypass and jumper and heating worked great this morning despite not having the blower at 40 degree morning here in Norcal.

Old 04-26-2021, 06:33 PM
AV8TR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I’ve done a major engine rebuild, which has the heater blower bypass. I’ve reviewed this thread (and others) and am trying to understand what the jumper does. I’ve tried the jumper with the fuse and without, no difference. With or without the jumper (and/or the fuse) my fan runs very fast on the blue dot and varying degrees of slow when not on the blue dot. If I press defrost, no change in fan spread, though I believe it’s supposed to go to maximum if you press this.

I did not have the car long enough to know how the system worked before I took it apart. Can someone provide some guidance to me on how the system originally operated?

Mine is 95 C2 Coupe, 3/94 build.

Thank-Brett

Last edited by AV8TR; 04-26-2021 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-14-2022, 03:19 PM
c2_peter
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
The solenoid for the (rear) fresh air valve is energized when you put the transmission into reverse. With the front mixing chambers closed you can still get a little residual air coming through the recirculating flaps that are hidden below/behind the front seatbelt retractors (especially when they've torn slightly) depending on the air pressure in the cabin.

I don't think this functionality wasn't added until the end of ~MY95(?) (CCU version 12) along with the engine mounted fresh air flap. The 964 just sucks in exhaust fumes, just not even remotely as bad as a 964/993 cab with a cat bypass sitting in traffic...
Originally Posted by gt3rs.
I just try to install the heather bypass tube on my 993 1996 varioram but i am stuck with all the tubes that connect to the number 2 part on your pics . Can somebody can help me with this . Where do i disconnect them and what i am doing with them ???
Originally Posted by EMBPilot
Gt3, while my 95 didnt have any of that stuff, my understanding from researching this prior to doing it myself, was you simply cap the vacuum line that controls that flap. Should be able to obtain locally.
Just had the proper parts arrive to perform this install, but with a Varioram 3.6 does anyone have verification that capping the vacuum capsule (#2 in attached picture) or the solenoid (#1) is the proper way to go about it? TIA

Last edited by c2_peter; 09-14-2022 at 03:22 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY - How to get interior fan working again /w heater bypass tube