Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: Next car possibly muscle car...maybe..

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Spidey 993

Default OT: Next car possibly muscle car...maybe..

I got issues, it's like I have to buy and I have no choice in it. In the last year I have owned 3 993s. (C2/TT/Cab).

Next one has to be aggressive looking, and track capable. I love Porsches (proud of it) but also considering a couple exceptions from the bucket list just for the experience of owning and reliving my youth.

Top of list:
- 997.1 GT3RS in Green or Orange
- 993 RS
- Corvette C6 Grand Sport or Z06

Considering bucket list:
- 69 Camaro RS/SS/Z28
- 67 Shelby GT350
- 63 Corvette Coupe (split window)

So my question comes into play around the bucket list cars. Seems the muscle car market has softened a bit? (I watch every Mecum auto auction so I am an expert ). Any of you dabble in these cars and have some insight into market conditions, exceptions to rule, thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited by Spidey 993; 12-05-2011 at 11:56 PM.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:51 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My good friend with the "more real RS parts on it that most RSs" '72T I did for him 20 years ago loves his Z28. I always forget if he sold the (early) '70 for a better '69, or vice-versa.

I'm personally partial to the Shelbys as I had a couple of Porsche customers back in the '80s who had Shelbys (and Cobras) back when they were "just" Mustangs. Price-wise, anyway. I dabbled with one on the track after I built and engine for the car, but it had crap tires/suspension. None of those would get me away from a 911 of similar vintage though.

Place to park your money for awhile? Those with more current, relevant experience will post.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:53 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

And now I see that 993RS up there. Gonna bring one in yourself? Having what I have, I'm not sure I'd bother with a real one. Absent bragging rights, of course.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:00 AM
Spidey 993

Yes, Camaro and Shelby's really bring back good memories and some of the restores I've seen are quite impressive.

The green 993RS recently for sale was the one I was referring to. I don't think she sold. I'm not against a clone either.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:03 AM
tony soprano
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugh. As hard as I have tried over the last few years, I can't seem to distance myself from muscle cars. Once it's in the blood, it's there for good it seems. I've owned a couple of C5 Z06s. I don't think there's a better performance value on the market right now - 3,000 lbs, 405 hp, decent brakes, and suspension for <$20K. I've not owned a C6Z, yet. I suspect it's just a matter of time. I bought a '66 427 vette right out of college. I drove it for 4 years and sold it for what I had paid for it 4 years prior. I thought that was a good deal but some 15+ years later I wish I had never let it go.

Generally speaking, most all muscle cars will be poorly suspended and inadequately braked, but none of that seems to matter when you're cruising around in the right one. I've owned a small-block, 4spd, '69 Camaro that I've long since sold. I wish I had that one back too. Hugger Orange! I some times think of having the best of both worlds; building something with a modern drive train and suspension under vintage muscle car sheet metal, ala' the "pro-touring" genre. I'd have to sell a car to free up the garage space though. So many cars, but too few dollars and not enough space to keep them all.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:34 AM
Spidey 993

I here ya. I grew up in the Midwest and it was all Mustangs and Camaros scattered throughout the HS parking lots. The parents owned the Corvettes and the Cadillacs.

The C5 are the best bang for your buck now, but that bubble back rear window does it for me.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:47 AM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

I vote orange 997 GT3RS..but only because that will be my next car! All good choices..not a loser in the bunch.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:31 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

At one point not long ago, my stable included a '69 Camaro SS 396. Always wanted one since high school as a result of a friend having one and giving me a most memorable ride one day after school. So a couple of years ago I bought one, just for fun.
Memory is always better than reality. It was a great car and was good at what it did well.....go fast in a straight line. Terrible handling, braking, poor ride quality, etc., However, a 396 can make a fantastic V8 noise, they are fun to cruise around in and you'll get lots of thumbs up where ever you go (except at a gathering of Prius owners). If one wants a muscle car from the 60's it's hard to go wrong with a big block Camaro or any other big block muscle car. Additionally the price of muscle cars has really dropped in the past couple of years, approximately half what they were only 2 to 3 years ago. If you buy a "clone" you can get even a better deal.
Like any vintage car just make sure it's a quality restoration. Find a good one and have fun.

Cheers.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:12 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From what I have seen over the past few years the #1 'trailer queens' are still bringing top $$$. The market has indeed softened for the #2 and #3 cars. Not much but in the 20% to 30% range. Just as an example you couldn't touch quality Challengers or 'Cudas for under 6 figures, but after the '08 crash the prices have come well south of 6 figures. Still horribly expensive but this percentage follows through down to the 396 Chevelles, Camaros, 389 GTO's, 351 Mustangs, etc.. During the recent Auctions America by RM at Fall Carlisle, here are a few examples of probably decent cars for decent money: 1) A #3 '68 Chevelle SS with matching #'s 396 for $22,500 2) A #2 '69 Camaro SS 396 with a/c for $34,000.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Spidey 993

The orange GT3RS is top two including the even more rate green one. One of my neighbors has a orange one, so that screws the pooch a bit.

Originally Posted by 993Brendan
I vote orange 997 GT3RS..but only because that will be my next car! All good choices..not a loser in the bunch.
Thanks for these two comments as well.

I long for those free-spirited days driving one of these muscle cars again, but
I do wonder if reality of owning one will not live up to the vision. Interesting point you made there as well.
The Camaro haunts me because I drove a Mustang but always wanted a Camaro.

Good point as well on values, seems like the top tier cars are commanding top dollar still others dropping a bit. I do not expect to make money or even break even but since these cars are a bit about nostalgia, you sell sooner than later.

Originally Posted by David993S
At one point not long ago,

Cheers.
Originally Posted by 95 NC 993
From what I have seen over the past few years the #1 'trailer queens' are still bringing top $$$.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:18 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Once I get a detached garage built, I'd love to do a mid sixties vet, coupe or vert, with updated drive train and suspension, but keep the stock look.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:03 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

You want modern muscle drivetrain in a classic body AND German??

http://www.mechatronik.de/en/enginee...e-m-coupe.html
Old 12-06-2011, 10:32 PM
tony soprano
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swmic
Once I get a detached garage built, I'd love to do a mid sixties vet, coupe or vert, with updated drive train and suspension, but keep the stock look.
This particular example uses C4 underpinnings but I've since seen other examples with the much improved C5 suspension.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:52 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

unlike some posters, i'm sooooo done with "muscle cars".
IMO (MY OPINION), not yours, they're not much use other than trying to impress others
not much fun to drive
handling? Hah, maybe a TA Challenger could be tweaked into a good car.
brakes? Hah
I had a lotta fun in 440 6pak cars and put my Hemi in 3 different cars, but i'm sooooo done with "muscle cars".

have fun with whatever you buy.

Craig
Old 12-06-2011, 11:05 PM
cmat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After owning a 993 or anything similar, any 60's muscle car without major upgrades is going to be a disappointment except in a straight line. Even so I still toy with the idea of a '69 Z28 but it would have to be in addition to my Porsche, not replacing it.

Quick Reply: OT: Next car possibly muscle car...maybe..