Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

At what speed should the rear spoiler rise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 11:08 AM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Another happy modder. One less irritation fixed.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:49 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys have just dramatically reduced the world wide demand for spoiler motors and worm gears.

That damn spoiler was the ONE thing I really disliked about this car, and now it's history. Thanks again.

UPDATE: Did the mod three days ago and it works like a CHAMP!! I could not be more pleased.

Thanks.

Last edited by DanL993; 01-08-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:30 PM
boursachi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love what my thread has done!! Wow, proud of myself haha.
Still loving the zero-noise of no spoiler at work, and I smile at the thought of how the car looks at high speeds with the C2S decklid.

This is my new "project" and wish-to-fix:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...996-targa.html

Who's with me?
Old 03-16-2012, 06:30 PM
cmat
Racer

I have just completed the “manual only” spoiler operation mod on my ‘96 and figured I would share my experience while it’s still fresh.

The spoiler control module is under the passenger side dash behind the left side of the glove compartment. It’s easily accessible when you look under the dash. I tried to remove the connector from the module but couldn’t get it out. I didn’t want to force anything so I removed the single screw that holds the module in place. I now could pull it down and get a better look. It turns out that the connector does simply pull out but it’s a snug fit.

The back cover of the connector will snap off with a bit of force. This cover is what holds all the individual contacts in place. Now you can easily slide out the #8 pin (green) and #12 pin (wht/red). Take care to hold the other pins in place while you do this. They come out of their locations very easily. This is where Murphy’s Law can easily kick in.

Make sure the remaining contacts are properly seated and snap the cover back on. I wrapped electrical tape around the 2 exposed contacts, folded the 2 wires back along the harness and used a cable tie to secure them. Plug in the connector and reattach the module.

I didn’t disconnect the battery as someone suggested but I probably should have. I don’t know if any of the connections are live with the car off but the possibility of something shorting accidentally is definitely there.

As advertised, I now have only manual spoiler operation via the rocker switch and I am a happy camper. The list of worthwhile Porsche mods that are free is short and this is a good one. Thanks to those who did the homework to figure this out.
Attached Images      
The following users liked this post:
silverlock (12-20-2022)
Old 03-17-2012, 12:49 AM
SkiDan
Instructor

Chuck - pics and write up are much appreciated. My next mod...
Old 03-17-2012, 05:44 AM
sds
Advanced

Hmmm... i just read this thread completely but i seem to be the only one not getting the point. Are you really so worried about the spoiler lift mechanism wear? I have never heared/read of anybody having problems with it. You should trust the Porsche quality, guys. And replace if necessary.

And going to full manual operation means that you have one more thing to think of; because the raised spoiler IS needed for cooling (says so in the manual!) and for car stability at higher speeds.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:17 AM
DanL993
button queen

Originally Posted by cmat
I have just completed the “manual only” spoiler operation mod on my ‘96 and figured I would share my experience while it’s still fresh.
+1 Word for word the way I did it. I will mention that several of the other pins "escaped" while I was fishing for the 8 and 12 pins, and getting them back in under somewhat awkward working position presented a challange. Just use care as you remove that cover.

As for the cooling and stability question, I will say that the other comments in this thread have given me enough confidence that I will do the following:
1. Raise the spoiler manually when I anticipate speeds above about 75 (yes, another thing to think about but I really hate the look of the "cafeteria tray" extended as I go around town),
2. Keep a close eye on the temp, especially in the summer and in humid conditions; with the engine cover off I think I'm probably OK.

Would really like to hear others' experience here.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:26 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I routinely run 30 miles at 75 mph or so during my commute to work, and I do not extend the spoiler and my oil temp never even gets to full operating temperature.

Stability? Hmmm. Plenty of 911s have no spoiler of any kind and they have been driven very fast around tracks all over the country for decades and I've never heard of or read about any stability issues. I've been driving my '86 Carrera with no spoiler on tracks for the last 8 years up to 130 mph and the car feels rock solid at all speeds.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:24 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 158 Posts

Just did this mod myself - literally took only 5 min including being careful not to have the other pins not pop out. Thanks again to all who tested and wrote this up.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:02 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sds
Hmmm... i just read this thread completely but i seem to be the only one not getting the point. Are you really so worried about the spoiler lift mechanism wear? I have never heared/read of anybody having problems with it. You should trust the Porsche quality, guys. And replace if necessary.

And going to full manual operation means that you have one more thing to think of; because the raised spoiler IS needed for cooling (says so in the manual!) and for car stability at higher speeds.
1. The plastic spoiler wall frequently splits at the fold (check yours if you never have - it's probably split!).

2. The unsealed bearing is subject to the elements and rusts. This causes noise, poor operation, and...

3. ...in my case the cable broke. You can't replace just the cable; you have to replace the assembly to which is is attached, which costs something like $450. I will be getting an RS wing soon.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:30 PM
INFRNL
Track Day

my personal solution to this is to buy a turbo model.
Right now I am not real keen on the no spoiler look, but the spoiler on these continually raising and lowering would drive me nuts as well; especially in stop and go traffic on the highway

I am glad that you guys found a quick simple solution to your problem/issue though. I will keep this in mind if I decide not to pay the premium on a turbo model!
Old 03-18-2012, 11:44 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 385 Posts

^^^The spoiler will remain up if it is manually put up initially, which will prevent it from going up and down in stop-and-go city or highway traffic.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:37 AM
DanL993
button queen

Originally Posted by jimbo3
^^^The spoiler will remain up if it is manually put up initially, which will prevent it from going up and down in stop-and-go city or highway traffic.
No kidding?? I didn't know that!!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:10 AM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wouldn't it be much simpler to mod the spoiler so that its default position is up? That way it will stay up until the driver manually puts it down.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:10 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cmat

The spoiler control module is under the passenger side dash behind the left side of the glove compartment. It’s easily accessible when you look under the dash. I tried to remove the connector from the module but couldn’t get it out. I didn’t want to force anything so I removed the single screw that holds the module in place. I now could pull it down and get a better look. It turns out that the connector does simply pull out but it’s a snug fit.

The back cover of the connector will snap off with a bit of force. This cover is what holds all the individual contacts in place. Now you can easily slide out the #8 pin (green) and #12 pin (wht/red). Take care to hold the other pins in place while you do this. They come out of their locations very easily. This is where Murphy’s Law can easily kick in.

Make sure the remaining contacts are properly seated and snap the cover back on. I wrapped electrical tape around the 2 exposed contacts, folded the 2 wires back along the harness and used a cable tie to secure them. Plug in the connector and reattach the module.

I didn’t disconnect the battery as someone suggested but I probably should have. I don’t know if any of the connections are live with the car off but the possibility of something shorting accidentally is definitely there.

As advertised, I now have only manual spoiler operation via the rocker switch and I am a happy camper. The list of worthwhile Porsche mods that are free is short and this is a good one. Thanks to those who did the homework to figure this out.
Instead of removing the contacts I suppose one can always cut those wires and add a hidden switch so no need mess around under the dash if one desires to have it back to original operation - like a country/city selection.
The following users liked this post:
silverlock (12-20-2022)

Quick Reply: At what speed should the rear spoiler rise?