993 Forum 1995-1998

VALENTINE1 EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:44 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeichen 282
I've had a V1 for many years and I do feel naked without it. I just switched the mounting point from below the mirror to above and have noticed no decrease in signal strength from my known bogeys.

I finally figured out that if I put the suction cups completely in the black stuff they will hold (2+ weeks now...).

Hope this helps!

Boris
I would be concerned with the black dots interfering with the reception from the front (esp laser).
Old 11-29-2011, 11:47 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 883 Likes on 534 Posts

The upgrade deal is great- I got one when they first came out and with the upgrade option, seem to get a new one every few years. Nice that the original wiring I leave in all the cars will work with all of them. I especially like the remote so the main unit never lights up, avoiding those idiots that will follow you when they see the lights.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:27 AM
catchacab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To mount the suction cups on the black dots, place vasoline in the suction cups.

Mounting higher gives you better radar reception due to less obstructions between radar source and radar detector.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:59 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always thought using the suction cups was potentially dangerous (either in an accident or just having the detector fall off every few weeks) and in some states it is now illegal to have anything mounted to the windshield. Some time ago I posted a DIY in the forum to make a mount that would be held by the visor screws (sorry doesn't work for cabs unless you don't need the interior light) - it is mounted high and is very inconspicuous. I also highly recommend using a remote mute button mounted on the turnsignal stock...these can be purchased on eBay for ~$10.

There is also an aluminum mount called Blendmount IIRC that attaches to your rearview mirror. The detector hangs below the mirror though so it's not very stealthy, but the controls are more reachable if you don't use the remote display and it is very sturdy.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:25 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

I am also a long time owner of V1. I even have two of them. I have had them upgraded (which is really turning in an old V1 and you get a brand new V1) too.

If you want to save a few bucks, you can put yourself on Valentine's list for returned V1s (a few come back every so often based on their 30 day no questions asked return policy) and save 10%. You will not be able to tell that it was even opened.

And mounting higher is better. Better vantage point for getting the signal. And the rear signal works just fine when mounted above the rear view mirror.

Mark
Old 11-30-2011, 09:02 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by David in LA
...I posted a DIY in the forum to make a mount that would be held by the visor screws (sorry doesn't work for cabs unless you don't need the interior light) - it is mounted high and is very inconspicuous. I also highly recommend using a remote mute button mounted on the turnsignal stock...
Pic of how my V1 was mounted (using a different detector for now)...no issues with radar/laser signal interference and both sunvisor are fully functional. Also pic of mute button on the back of the turn signal stalk.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:53 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by David in LA
Pic of how my V1 was mounted (using a different detector for now)...no issues with radar/laser signal interference and both sunvisor are fully functional. Also pic of mute button on the back of the turn signal stalk.

I like that. Are these legal in CA? I may need to get one.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Oz-ATL
Instructor

$189+ shipping for the upgrade?? Seems a bit steep for the benefits listed for mine:

Our V1.85 Upgrade* for this series of V1 will produce the following benefits:

Crystal-controlled Frequency Tuning to permanently safeguard coverage at radar-band edges.

Traffic Monitor Filter to eliminate K-band false alarms caused by the SpeedInfo, a traffic-flow monitoring system that sends frequent K-band radar bursts into the traffic stream. This software algorithm is installed at the factory but not activated. For activation instructions, click here.

Extended Serial Protocol (ESP) enhances two-way communication with future peripheral devices (details to be announced).
Euro Mode: You will enjoy longer radar range and fewer false alarms in Europe and some other countries outside the U.S. Euro Mode adapts V1's radar sensitivity to the way they use radar for photo enforcement. It narrows and intensifies radar coverage to K and the sections of Ka bands applied there to photo radar. X band is not covered in Euro Mode. (V1 is already optimized for North American radar as it comes from the factory. Euro Mode is not appropriate for driving here).

This upgrade will install the Euro Mode but you must activate it. To activate, see http://www.valentine1.com/Lab/TechReport3.asp

* One-year limited warranty starting at upgrade date, same as new units.

-- Upgrade to V1.85: As soon as we receive your old unit (in operable condition with no tampering of the serial number) we'll replace two circuit boards and install revised firmware, then return it to you in the shortest possible time with a new serial number to indicate its revised capability.
PRICE: $189 plus shipping
Old 12-01-2011, 12:46 AM
catchacab
Instructor

Oz-Atl, what version do you have?
Old 12-01-2011, 01:48 AM
1989speedster
5th Gear

Love my V1. Its a must in every car. Order extra mounts to move it car to car if you dont wanna buy more than one.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:47 AM
DanL993
button queen

Originally Posted by Oz-ATL
$189+ shipping for the upgrade?? Seems a bit steep for the benefits listed for mine:

Our V1.85 Upgrade* for this series of V1 will produce the following benefits:

Crystal-controlled Frequency Tuning to permanently safeguard coverage at radar-band edges.

Traffic Monitor Filter to eliminate K-band false alarms caused by the SpeedInfo, a traffic-flow monitoring system that sends frequent K-band radar bursts into the traffic stream. This software algorithm is installed at the factory but not activated. For activation instructions, click here.

Extended Serial Protocol (ESP) enhances two-way communication with future peripheral devices (details to be announced).
Euro Mode: You will enjoy longer radar range and fewer false alarms in Europe and some other countries outside the U.S. Euro Mode adapts V1's radar sensitivity to the way they use radar for photo enforcement. It narrows and intensifies radar coverage to K and the sections of Ka bands applied there to photo radar. X band is not covered in Euro Mode. (V1 is already optimized for North American radar as it comes from the factory. Euro Mode is not appropriate for driving here).

This upgrade will install the Euro Mode but you must activate it. To activate, see http://www.valentine1.com/Lab/TechReport3.asp

* One-year limited warranty starting at upgrade date, same as new units.

-- Upgrade to V1.85: As soon as we receive your old unit (in operable condition with no tampering of the serial number) we'll replace two circuit boards and install revised firmware, then return it to you in the shortest possible time with a new serial number to indicate its revised capability.
PRICE: $189 plus shipping
Oz, you may have an older version than mine; I was quoted $89 plus shipping for that upgrade. I considered it because I get a LOT of full-volume, full-power K Band false alarms from those damn traffic monitors, but only in urban or city areas. As I understnad it the mod to filter them also takes out K Band and is, in fact, contra recommended even in the V1 instructions posted on the site and in the owner's manual. In fact Valentine will make the mod but won't activate it at the factory (for that very reason?); you have to do that when the unit is returned to you--curious.

As for my V1 it's great. We drove from southwest Ohio to Phoenix, and found every bogey. The only real threat was an X Band trooper in New Mexico.

So I love the V1 and will tolerate the false alarms just to have the security of the K Band active--there are a lot of them out there.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Oz-ATL
Instructor

I bought my V1 around 2004 if I'm not mistaken so it's ~7 years old. I have a K40 laser difuser as well.

At $189 and the roads I travel here in Atlanta aren't flooded with the traffic monitors yet means I'm in no rush to upgrade at this time. Almost worth using this one in another car and buying a brand new one for the DD (Cayenne).
Old 12-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Oz-ATL
I bought my V1 around 2004 if I'm not mistaken so it's ~7 years old. I have a K40 laser difuser as well.
I had a K40 in my 964, I thought it sucked donkey d1ck ! I'd never buy another K40 product
Old 12-01-2011, 12:06 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Ish993
I had a K40 in my 964, I thought it sucked donkey d1ck ! I'd never buy another K40 product

Agree +1.

K40s were great detection units a decade or two ago. They have not kept up with the technology.

Mark
Old 12-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Oz-ATL
Instructor

I hate to agree - It did save me on several laser occasions in the past but they become out of date waaaaay too fast and they do not seem to update their products like Valentine. They try to sell you a new version that will also be out of date in a few months so they try to add in a support pkg for upgrades. big scam.

Quick Reply: VALENTINE1 EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE