993 Forum 1995-1998

Something I didn't know - wood floorboard

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP

Well, wouldn't that be an insult? C'mon, the 901 platform was abandoned in 1998 so the car could move forward .... and forward it went. It was a corporate decision to keep the '911' moniker for the Goodwill it represented and I think we ALL understand that and appreciate it ... I don't hold ill will towards the 996 for that, I look at it as the next logical step and the 997 and 991 are their logical descendants. I better stop .. I'm getting emotional again ....
And? The 911 is a model, not a platform. Rear engined flat 6 2+2 manufactured by Porsche...bam, 911.

Then again, some people say the 911 ain't a real porsche.

The whole "last of" stuff is a the dumbest BULL**** you could possible come up with.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:36 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
And? The 911 is a model, not a platform. Rear engined flat 6 2+2 manufactured by Porsche...bam, 911.

Then again, some people say the 911 ain't a real porsche.

The whole "last of" stuff is a the dumbest BULL**** you could possible come up with.
Now, don't get your panties in a twist, you've read too fast again and missed the point. I SAID Porsche abandoned the 901 platform in '98 to move forward on the 996 platform and that was the end of it. They RETAINED the 911 name as a model name only. Basically for Goodwill ($$) for their new demographic mostly made up of people who aren't interested enough in the cars evolution to actually follow the internal platform number changes. I don't think the 993 is the greatest Porsche ever designed, I think it's the last of the 901 platform and with it, the 911 as a platform number ended, and the 911 as a Porsche 'model' began.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Gunter
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like Porsche is running out of numbers after 999. ??

I think of the floor board as a "green" touch, made out of rare teak plywood, hand-moulded by holistic immigrant workers and sprinkled with holy water before installation.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:09 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mts
Been playing with my recently acquired 993 a bit the last couple days and when I pulled the floormats out to vacuum I noticed something interesting........the floorboard is made of wood.

I wonder what other car makers were using wood in their cars as late as 1998? Anyone know of any others besides Morgan (who I think still use it today).
It's probably time to address you're original point, eh? Sorry for the hi-jack ..
I don't know of any others that ran this late .. Porsche went 34 years on the 901 because it worked for the vestigial floor mounted pedals. If there were any others, I'd bet on English cars ..

Originally Posted by Gunter
Looks like Porsche is running out of numbers after 999. ??
Looks like they're starting to recycle with the 918 Spyder and also using next generation deriviatives like 997.1, 997.2 etc. By that method, they've got a few decades to go ;-)

Originally Posted by MarkD
exactly!
hey, at least mine has essentially the same engine case w/dry sump
it MUST be a real 911, right?
Yes, while he was visiting, Marc C. explained to me that the GT3 engines were the only production cars still using the 993 dry sump cases and therefore weren't suffering from the same engine problems as the rest of the 996 and 997 cars .. also, that the GT3's are all hand made :-) and hey, you can call your car anything you like as long as I get a ride.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:34 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Not quite. The wood is from the exotic and elusive "ply" family.
The floorboard wood is Red Cedar. untreated , unpainted.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:35 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by geolab
That makes sense, impervious to insects basically. Also, another geeky fact .. there were wooden floorboards in the passenger side as well for many years .. probably to accommodate Right Hand Drive models .. I don't know when that changed, but my '72 911E had them and I don't remember what my '87 Cab had .. but it wouldn't surprise me. I'd bet that change happened when they re-designed the pan in 1989 for the 964. My 914-6's had wood on the drivers side, but the passenger foot well did not and it was so deep that customers complained that passengers legs were going numb from being forced 'flat' so the factory created a foam block 'foot rest' that was tethered to the front bulkhead with a leather strap.

Here's one for sale on fleaBay ;-) http://www.ebay.com/itm/330598686009...WAX:IT&vxp=mtr
Old 11-28-2011, 12:31 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by geolab
Geo, when I had mine off it seems to have been layered. Could very well be my failing memory, it's been about 5-6 years since I've looked at it.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Gunter
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember it to be thin plywood in the 911 both sides.

Same for the 993 c2, IIRC.

Thin Cedar boards wouldn't hold up, IMHO, the lamination (glue) give plywood strength. Cedar is known for durability but not for strength and is mostly used for cosmetic effect.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:56 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

went to my local Harrison Ford to copy my floorboard some years back. It was broken on one of the upper hooks. He said its Red Cedar plywood. Maybe he was wrong. Told him it was for 993 AFTER he gave me the quote. Cost me 5 bucks, took two, still have one spare. I did transfer the velcro circles and little peices that were on original.
from internet:
Cedar Wood Benefits:
Trees such as the cedar tree have developed self-protective qualities that allow the tree to fend off insects, rot and temperature related stresses. That makes cedar wood very useful as home building material where humidity, temperature, and cracking are a common problem.
Cedar wood has remarkable dimensional stability. This means the wood doesn't change its size or dimension despite weather, humidity or temperature conditions. Many types of wood will warp when subjected to moisture, but cedar stays straight and flat
Cedar stands up to moisture, resisting rot and resisting insect damage better than other woods.

I think they had water in mind, because of pedals going downwards ?
Old 11-28-2011, 02:52 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Geo, I'm pretty sure it's Cedar, just judging by feel and look. I wasn't sure if you meant originally that it's not plywood but rather solid wood. We are on the same page now - it's plywood. Cedar plywood.

"Local Harrison Ford". Love it

Quick Reply: Something I didn't know - wood floorboard