Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 to 993

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 06:47 PM
911passion
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why does my picture and Signature font look so Big?
need to change this, sorry guys...
Old 11-23-2011, 06:51 PM
ga993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have first hand experience w/ Chequered Flag. PM Sent.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:09 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The conventional wisdom seems to be that the valve guide material used in the 993's was too soft and prone to premature wear. Why some cars go massive mileage with no issues while others fail early is perplexing. The 97TT that I recently purchased had only 24,000 miles but one cylinder failed the leakdown test. The seller paid for a top end rebuild with proper valve guide material. I consider the PPI failure to be a stroke of luck for me. I think I have a 150k-200k engine now. If you find a nice 993 for say $30-35k and you end up needing a valve job in a couple of years, you will still have little more in the car than a plain vanilla sedan with leather. From my signature you can see I have had a few Porsches, please do not infer that I have great knowledge, but I do have opinions. I had an 09 C2S Cab with PDK and a whole bunch of other options. I loved the car.......For about 6 months. I realized the car was, for me at least, not near as much fun as my 95 993 Coupe. I sure did like 385hp though. Since I bought the car new I took a real bath when I sold it. Before long I had another 993, maybe the best car I've owned, but I sure missed the power. So I figured a 993TT would be the answer. And that's what I have now, or will when the damage caused by a failed gambler is repaired. And so, after taking far too long to make my point, if you have the wherewithal, buy a 993TT. It is the tactile, involving experience of a 993 with even more power than a new S. There won't be a map in the dash or ventilated seats (heaven) or headlights that make things burst into flames 1/4 mile away, but it will require surgery to remove the smile from you face......Chris
Old 11-23-2011, 07:22 PM
Richard Kent
Advanced

Originally Posted by 77'3.6vram
I drive my 96' every day.Even in the snow.You can not compare the build quality differences.A 993 that has not been wrecked should feel more solid than any new 997.Make sure you get a car with LSD/ABD.If you budget in an extra 20k to the 993 you can address all the wear and other possible issues and have a 911 that you will enjoy for your whole life.No new cars needed in the future.Just as much fun to drive it today as it will be in twenty years.
Originally Posted by 77'3.6vram
If the ABD is not working(four channel ABS as opposed to three Chanel)would the CEL light not come on?Unless the car has been tracked or abused the LSD should be fine.Mine is fully operational at 85,000 miles.I know because I was out in our snow storm three weeks ago.I have been told that the stock LSD does not last much more than 40k miles but I think that is bull.So does Scott McPherson and Jim Neuton at Auto Associates of Canton.Unless you own one that has failed I would keep my opinions to myself.
Didn't mean to step on your toes... I had problems with mine in my 95 993, never saw any track time...also....they seem to think the same...
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-be-added.html
Old 11-23-2011, 07:49 PM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by solomonschris
The conventional wisdom seems to be that the valve guide material used in the 993's was too soft and prone to premature wear. Why some cars go massive mileage with no issues while others fail early is perplexing. The 97TT that I recently purchased had only 24,000 miles but one cylinder failed the leakdown test. The seller paid for a top end rebuild with proper valve guide material. I consider the PPI failure to be a stroke of luck for me. I think I have a 150k-200k engine now. If you find a nice 993 for say $30-35k and you end up needing a valve job in a couple of years, you will still have little more in the car than a plain vanilla sedan with leather. From my signature you can see I have had a few Porsches, please do not infer that I have great knowledge, but I do have opinions. I had an 09 C2S Cab with PDK and a whole bunch of other options. I loved the car.......For about 6 months. I realized the car was, for me at least, not near as much fun as my 95 993 Coupe. I sure did like 385hp though. Since I bought the car new I took a real bath when I sold it. Before long I had another 993, maybe the best car I've owned, but I sure missed the power. So I figured a 993TT would be the answer. And that's what I have now, or will when the damage caused by a failed gambler is repaired. And so, after taking far too long to make my point, if you have the wherewithal, buy a 993TT. It is the tactile, involving experience of a 993 with even more power than a new S. There won't be a map in the dash or ventilated seats (heaven) or headlights that make things burst into flames 1/4 mile away, but it will require surgery to remove the smile from you face......Chris
I think you should try a 993 with a 4l kit, LWF, ITBs etc. You will be amazed at the sound and the torque the engine makes! The aural experience is up there with the best. And you have the HP to match.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:32 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Camlob..love the Ducati, I've been riding them since 1973. I don't know what a 41 kit is or ITBs either. I'm just an old fart that loves 993's, but you can really add over 100hp that easy? I'm surprised I never heard about that. As to the aural experience...I enjoyed making noise from balloons on by bicycle as a kid, to megaphones on my Triumphs and Nortons during my college years. Now I like a quiet car so I can listen to music. I don't see this as a right or wrong issue, I was only offering an opinion.......Chris
Old 11-23-2011, 08:36 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

About ABD - I shied away from any car that had it after I read up on it. It sounded like the beginning of DSC / PSM and I really didn't want the car thinking for me and applying brakes at any or all of the 4 corners when the computer thought it was the thing to do. Not on this car anyway.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:37 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,405 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by solomonschris
Hi Camlob..love the Ducati, I've been riding them since 1973. I don't know what a 41 kit is or ITBs either. I'm just an old fart that loves 993's, but you can really add over 100hp that easy? I'm surprised I never heard about that. As to the aural experience...I enjoyed making noise from balloons on by bicycle as a kid, to megaphones on my Triumphs and Nortons during my college years. Now I like a quiet car so I can listen to music. I don't see this as a right or wrong issue, I was only offering an opinion.......Chris
lol, if you consider new pistons and cylinders (4L kit), new billet heads, new cams, individual throttle bodies (ITB), motec, and a bunch of other stuff easy, sure.

The 400hp motor from 9M or similar are simply stupid expensive.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:40 PM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Richard,all of the guys who are on that post are track rats.If you are a 993 daily driver in all weather conditions the ABD is very useful.All of those guys abuse there cars.Try to use the factory theory about the US market.They call us Americans the 80/20% crowd.Meaning that 80% of the US Porsche owners never use 20% of the cars capability.The vast majority of Porsches have been babied there whole lives by Porsche AG standards.The LSD's ,on most cars in the US,are barley used.This is why so many of them are still in good working order.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:28 AM
user 70801213
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to dis the 993 but for the guy who posted this thread, other things to look for in a 993 ( your looking at a 14-17 year old car here, regardless of mileage) are: Worn out stock shocks, creaking windshield gasket, leaking timing chain seals ( very common), cracking plug wires, about to break dual distro belts, leaking lower valve cover seals, broken or about to break door strap thingy, and in higher mile cars, failing DMF ( rattle when you turn it off, or at idle)...I got my 74K mile C2 1.5 year ago and have had ( fixed) or have all of the above. Watch exhaust for blue smoke to check for high oil consumption....read all the buying guides. oh and more more thing... Ill trade ya
Old 11-24-2011, 12:57 PM
LeNoah
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

Happy Thanksgiving to all. And THANKS for all of the great input.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm lucky enough to own a 997 and a 993. They are completely different cars in every respect except both of them have engine's over the rear wheels. It all depends on what driving characteristics you are looking for in a sports car. I prefer the 997 for comfort, ride and handling along with the amenities that come with a modern car. This is not to say the 993 is inferior, just more of a raw sports car experience. I bought a low mileage 95 and put all kinds of money into it to make it right. Great car but for me - I love my 997 and will probably sell the 993 to some lucky guy next Spring. I'm always the one that keeps my cars nice for the next guy...
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2011, 02:10 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
I'm lucky enough to own a 997 and a 993. They are completely different cars in every respect except both of them have engine's over the rear wheels. It all depends on what driving characteristics you are looking for in a sports car. I prefer the 997 for comfort, ride and handling along with the amenities that come with a modern car. This is not to say the 993 is inferior, just more of a raw sports car experience. I bought a low mileage 95 and put all kinds of money into it to make it right. Great car but for me - I love my 997 and will probably sell the 993 to some lucky guy next Spring. I'm always the one that keeps my cars nice for the next guy...
Bob,

Agree with your thoughts. And a nice pre-sale plug for your 993! Are you running any Black Friday specials?

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. The gathering begins at 2:00p at my house.

Mark
Old 11-24-2011, 02:40 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Bob,

Agree with your thoughts. And a nice pre-sale plug for your 993! Are you running any Black Friday specials?

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. The gathering begins at 2:00p at my house.

Mark
LoL! Happy Thanksgiving, we have 30+ here at 2 today, yikes, I better open the wine now.. Have a good day
Old 11-24-2011, 02:54 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You hit the nail on the head Bob. They are both great cars and as each version evolved they got a little softer, quieter, isolated / insulated, etc. My 997.2 C2S was an amazingly capable car on the track, comfortable and quiet on the street. My 993 C2S on the other hand brings me back to why I fell in love with Porsche in the first place. Very connected to the road, great sound, etc. True, the 997.2 was 1 second faster to 60, but it's how the 993 gets to 60 that's so much fun. Again, both great cars.

Quick Reply: 997 to 993