Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Roadtrip to Zuffenhausen (long with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 12:38 PM
P-track
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Roadtrip to Zuffenhausen (long with pics)

Since I have learned so much over the last year reading Rennlist I thought it would be fair to become a member and right away bore you with my yearly pre-winter storage roadtrip to the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart. I live in Amsterdam, Holland and the distance I had to cover was about 680 km's, a friend was supposed to join me but he had to cancel last-minute.

The german Autobahn can be a nightmare with all the roadworks going on but besides that I always love to drive there. The traffic flow is fast with that typical german efficiency and above all very law-abiding german motorists. In practice this means when a sign says 50 MPH due to roadwork they will not simply lift the throttle and let the speed decrease. NEIN! You are supposed to slam the brakes in order to reach the assigned exactly as you pass the sign. Since everybody in Germany acts the same way, nobody gets hurt. Unless off course you are from Holland like me, where coffeeshops don't sell coffee and the legal speed limit is considered an advice. Luckily the 993's brakes performed flawlessly....

Now for the germans 120 MPH is a nice relaxing speed to commute to work if you are not in a hurry. So you can imagine what happens when a typical german male in his "Personen Kraft Fahrzeug" realises he is late for his sunday afternoon Beer und Bratwurst. That probably was the case when a 70+ year old Helmut in a green Audi A8 Panzerwagen with his grandchildren in the back watching a DVD was signalling me to get out of the left lane so he could overtake me. At that time I was doing 6000 RPM in 6th gear....

But the autobahn and 993 are really made for each other, it is such a pleasure to be able to drive this car unrestrained. Although I must admit that I didn't hit top speed this time, the car wanted to but I chickened out!

Eventually I made it to the Porsche Museum alive. It already feels good to enter "Porscheplatz, Stuttgart" as a destination in the satnav but to actually pass the main gate of "Porsche Werk 1" is still as exciting as the first time I visited the factory (as a 6 year old in the backseat of my grandmothers golden colored 924!).

I was there on a sunday afternoon so not a lot of Porsche factory traffic going on and apart from a dozen wrapped-up 991's and a GT2-RS, the parking lots were empty. I would advice to visit the museum on a weekday, more to see around the factory and the museums own workshop will be open. The museum is not that big but what they do have on display is excellent. The collection varies a lot because it is what they call the "rolling museum" and cars get shipped all over the world for exhibitions and races.

One of the highlights for me this time was the 911 RSR turbo that came second in Le Mans in 1974 with Gijs van Lennep and Herbert Mueller. I recently attended a Porsche trackday and Gijs van Lennep was there to instruct, at the end of the day he agreed to do some laps in my 993 with me in the passenger seat.I was born in the year that he finished second in this RSR and now I was his co-driver LOL! Great to see that car in real life.

Some euros were spent in the Porsche gift shop and then I was off to visit my grandmother who lives in the Black forest.I decided to take the scenic route and take the famous 62 KM long "Schwarzwaldhochstrasse". This is the oldest scenic route in germany and runs from Freudenstadt to Baden Baden. Speed limit is 100 KMH and this speed is strictly enforced because so many bikers get killed there every year. But that also means that it is a true drivers road!

I hope you enjoy the photo's!
Attached Images           

Last edited by P-track; 11-21-2011 at 06:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AX993 (02-23-2020)
Old 11-21-2011, 12:48 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sehr Gut!!!

Gerry
Old 11-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

This is on my bucket list, looks like so much fun!!
Old 11-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Ocean Blue C2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for posting a good story! Nog ook hartelijk bedankt "for posting".
Air-cooled Regards

Albertus,
Calgary Alberta
Canada
Old 11-21-2011, 05:08 PM
boxcarracer
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 40 Posts

Amazing, great post.
Definitely something I have to do before I move back to Canada.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:27 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must be a nice feeling to drive your p-car to the museum! Sweet! Nice write up.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:16 PM
cmat
Racer

Thanks for a very nice writeup. As someone who lived in the Netherlands (Eindhoven) for 2 years, I can relate to your description of drivers and the driving experience.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:34 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts

Enjoyed that - thanks a lot. But more pictures please...
Old 11-21-2011, 09:01 PM
firesm
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great story, thanks for posting!
Old 11-21-2011, 10:32 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by P-track
At that time I was doing 6000 RPM in 6th gear....Although I must admit that I didn't hit top speed this time, the car wanted to but I chickened out!
6000 RPM in 6th would be top speed, no?

Originally Posted by P-track
I decided to take the scenic route and take the famous 62 KM long "Schwarzwaldhochstrasse". This is the oldest scenic route in germany and runs from Freudenstadt to Baden Baden.
Nice road (500), I've taken it on my BMW motorcycle. The pavement is excellent. I stopped at Mummelsee and took a pic next to the large cockoo clock in the parking lot.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:43 PM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Great write-up. Thanks for the post and the pictures!
Old 11-22-2011, 01:49 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Prachtig!
Old 11-22-2011, 01:54 AM
camlob
Pro

Nice photo of the RSR! More pics pls! BTW, nice write-up. I like the part with the 70 yrs old guy on an Audi signaling you to move.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:19 AM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Jealous! thanks for the pics & story.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:33 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fantastisch!
Ik kom uit Haarlem - woon nu buiten Vancouver.
Groeten!

Quick Reply: Roadtrip to Zuffenhausen (long with pics)