Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Success. "My" solution to the front plate debacle. It ain't perfect but it was cheap

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
I do appreciate your replies even though I don't want to hear them nor do I agree.
Why even post if you don't want to hear the responses?

Did you really think we'd give you a pat on the back for ziptying the plate to the front of your car?
Old 11-20-2011, 09:04 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Why even post if you don't want to hear the responses?

Did you really think we'd give you a pat on the back for ziptying the plate to the front of your car?
I most certainly did. I expected a huge pat on the back, actually. I was hoping for some fanfare, maybe a parade, maybe a whole line of people out my driveway, down the block waiting for me to help them do the exact same thing to their cars too.

And just because I don't want to hear negative responses doesn't mean I don't appreciate them. It's helpful. This was merely an experiment. According to what I'm reading, an experiment gone bad.

Easily remedied though...
Old 11-20-2011, 09:14 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I told this to my neighbor and he admitted his X5 has never has a front tag and it's an 05.
I haven't had a front tag on one of my Maryland vehicles in at least 15 years. I did get a ticket for it in my truck because the cop was pissed I slowed before he could clock me. He actually drove past me then backed up and pulled me over and told me he at least got me on that.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

That looks pretty bad....are you sure you weren't drinking more than Martinelliis?
Old 11-20-2011, 09:44 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
There is a factory solution to this problem

I agree. I hate to say it, but for non-turbo bumpers, I think the factory mount is the best option from all that are available.

If you have a turbo bumper, the only thing that beats the factory mounting is the mounting where the plate is folded and tucked inside the bumper, against the grill.

I used to hate the idea of mounting a front plate on a 993, but I have to admit, when I look at 993's with front plates in the factory position, it really doesn't look so bad at all.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:50 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Interesting that people had said in other posts that the factory mount is fairly ugly looking so I was trying to find an alternative that would still show the front bumper and it's covered plugs.

So now my 2 options are to put the Inventiva Plate on the car and drill into the bottom of the bumper (doesn't look like too big a deal) or do the factory plate.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:33 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Interesting that people had said in other posts that the factory mount is fairly ugly looking so I was trying to find an alternative that would still show the front bumper and it's covered plugs.

So now my 2 options are to put the Inventiva Plate on the car and drill into the bottom of the bumper (doesn't look like too big a deal) or do the factory plate.

Make it easy on yourself. No drilling required if you mount the factory H bracket in the already plugged holes.

Usually folks want to avoid drilling holes in their bumper if there is an acceptable alternative. You do not have that issue.

Vic's red cab looks very nice with the front plate.

Mark
Old 11-20-2011, 10:40 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Make it easy on yourself. No drilling required if you mount the factory H bracket in the already plugged holes.

Usually folks want to avoid drilling holes in their bumper if there is an acceptable alternative. You do not have that issue.

Vic's red cab looks very nice with the front plate.

Mark
Yeah, you have a seriously good point! Anyone got an old license plate mount sitting around they're not using?
Old 11-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
There is a factory solution to this problem

This is much better than that tow hook system and obviously 1000 time better than the zip tie thing.
Sorry mate but what were you drinking...?

Hey guys how need to have front plate and can't keep it in factory location, have you thought about putting it behind the front grille?
It obviously would be little hidden for cops to bitch about but maybe they'd let it go.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:01 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

If you have to run a front plate use the factory bracket. The ones hidden in the bumper, etc. look like bugs bunny.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:07 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Yeah, you have a seriously good point! Anyone got an old license plate mount sitting around they're not using?
They are $30 at the dealer...just go order one.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:07 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

I think it was a good try at a solution. It's real bummer you have to run a front plate at all. Luckily we don't in Kentucky. Of course we are in the bottom 5 states in education and per capita income, but the no front plates is a win.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:12 PM
Spidey 993

Steve, fellow RL Chris Wu sent me his front plate H bracket and I just put it on this weekend. I think it actually looks fine and now I don't have to look in my rear view mirror every time I see a police car.

I know I said it looks stupid, and it does but to your creativity if nothing else.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spidey 993
Steve, fellow RL Chris Wu sent me his front plate H bracket and I just put it on this weekend. I think it actually looks fine and now I don't have to look in my rear view mirror every time I see a police car.

I know I said it looks stupid, and it does but to your creativity if nothing else.
Cool, I'll order one too then. Heck, it's just a license plate on a bumper. What was I so afraid of? 99% of the cars in my state have one on there too.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

That bucktooth plate looks like it's ready to plow some serious snow ..... good winter strategy for MD!

I'll look in my parts pile to see if a factory plate holder remains ...

Quick Reply: Success. "My" solution to the front plate debacle. It ain't perfect but it was cheap