Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Do you have to change oil every year....

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 10:39 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I've only got around 3000 on mine this year and am going to hold off on changing. Maybe next summer when it nice and warm.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:09 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by arcteryxbird
It's not the time or the money, just seems like a huge waste
That it would be.

A co-worker runs 25,000 kms (more than 15K miles) between oil changes and he now has well over 120K miles on his car. The lab upstairs says the oil is still good.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:24 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Curious opinions here. I change my oil every three track events ~2k miles. Do you think that's overkill? I also don't drive the car on the street so it's purely hard track miles that see high temps.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:21 AM
Pickled Piper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thread topic. My Garage Queen only gets driven 1500 miles per year (I know I should drive it more). My mechanic advised that I should get the oil changed every 12 months regardless of mileage. His advice on other matters tells me that he's not trying to do unnecessary work to make more money. I also, get the peace of mind that the car has been up on a lift and has been given a visual inspection. Plus the stamp in the book.

Is the service stamp in the book worth anything now on a 15 year old car? Should I just do it myself?

I don't know.

pp
Old 11-19-2011, 06:54 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

I do it every winter, whether I log 3,000 miles or 4,000 miles. I enjoy the process and I can re-inspect everything under the car, yet again.

I'm fascinated by what makes my 993 tick. Just as much as I enjoy the aesthetic qualities of the car.

Andreas
Old 11-19-2011, 08:59 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Paddy
Curious opinions here. I change my oil every three track events ~2k miles. Do you think that's overkill? I also don't drive the car on the street so it's purely hard track miles that see high temps.
Yes, serious overkill but as I said before, it is all about feeling good (and safe). So if this oil change makes you feel good than no reason not to change oil. Maybe collect it and sell it as 'slightly used oil'
Old 11-19-2011, 09:28 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

I've changed my oil (Mobil 1) every Fall just prior to putting it away for the winter regardless of mileage, which rarely exceeds 3000 mi/yr ('97 C2S now with about 43,000 miles). It may or may not be overkill, but probably is. It's cheap insurance regardless of the real necessity, and as others have said it's a chance to take a good look underneath for any other issues.

I think the real question is at what point (how many miles of use and under what conditions) does the oil absorb sufficient contaminants from the combustion process to require a change? The point of changing yearly before winter storage is so that "contaminated" oil does not sit in the engine for extended periods of time. To me, that seem like the real question, not simply a question about yearly oil changes.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:31 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's what Porsche says...

It's still subjective. What constitutes "low miles" between 15k service intervals? Maybe 5k a year is "average" and they expect each 15k to be every 3 years? So if you go less, then maybe an annual is recommended? Or maybe they feel a long time between 15k services is 5 years, which would be 3k a year. Hard to tell, so we use our best judgment.

My gut is every other year when you also flush the brake fluid. In 993 days they said every 3 for brake fluid, now 2 years. So, maybe get into a routine of every 2 years change oil and flush the brakes.
Attached Images
Old 11-19-2011, 11:32 AM
TravisB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were most of you, I would save the oil and use it for lawn mowers, appliance-status daily drivers, and party favors...

I think the only way to really know if it's ok is going to be to have an analysis done. Operating conditions, condition of the engine itself, driving habits, just how warm the oil gets on a regular basis, etc. etc. are all going to play a role. I used to be a 'cheap insurance' 2-3000 mile changer in my old car, but now that oil change costs are nearly tripled and the effort maybe even more so, I'm going to be sending samples in to Blackstone to figure out what my intervals really should be.

FWIW, the shop that did my PPI recommended bi-annual changes for my car which is a DD/DE toy, annual mileage probably in the 10-12k range. I personally think once a year will be fine for me, but I'll just have to see what the data says. Without it, we're largely just sitting around speculating.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:07 PM
arcteryxbird
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting , I guess the oil sample test is the only definitive answer. Two questions , how much would such a test cost , and what is the easiest way to collect a sample? ( loosen the large filter enough for it to leak? )

If anyone is preparing to test their oil , please come back and post your results

Thank you everyone for posting your comments , food for thought
cheers
Old 11-19-2011, 04:40 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by arcteryxbird
Interesting , I guess the oil sample test is the only definitive answer.
Two questions , how much would such a test cost , and what is the easiest way to collect a sample? ( loosen the large filter enough for it to leak? )
If anyone is preparing to test their oil , please come back and post your results Thank you everyone for posting your comments , food for thought
cheers

Take a look at this thread on Oil Analysis ...
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-analysis.html

Blackstone does a great job... http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

The sample process is very easy with the supplied vacuum pump and the kits are free. You pay only $25 for each detailed lab analysis.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I'd say it all depends on usage, and climate conditions. Short trips in a really damp or really hot climate may be different that 100 mile trips in 75 degree air. The analysis is the only way to really know what is going on.

As noted above, sometimes it is just good to do it at least annually and get your eyes (or mechanic's) on the bottom of your car. I found a missing valve cover bolt on the top of a lower valve cover while doing my suspension project last weekend.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 112 Posts

If I was storing for winter (and I do), I would change the oil before storage just to have clean oil in it for the 4-5 months it sits. If I drove it continuously throughh the year, I'd get the oil analysis done a few times to determine what the appropriate interval is for my usage.

I am now at 2 oil changes a year, halfway through summer and before storage. Not by virtue of miles (3-4K), but due to a dozen or so track hours. And probably more in the future.

Without starting an oil brand debate, would be interested to hear the experience of experienced engine builders as to:

- the merits of clean oil for extended storage; and

- a reasonable track (DE, not racing) hour change interval.

My vote is YES Absolutely, and 10-12.

Best,

Matt
Old 11-19-2011, 08:53 PM
daltvater
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IXLR8
That it would be.

A co-worker runs 25,000 kms (more than 15K miles) between oil changes and he now has well over 120K miles on his car. The lab upstairs says the oil is still good.
Had a conversation with my Dad and he does the same as your friend. Mobil 1 every 15k miles. Car is a 95', trailered Club Racer. 160k miles and it is a healthest clean burning 993 engine I know. Never opened, burns no oil and smells clean with headers! Maybe changing every 15k is the key?
Old 11-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by daltvater
Had a conversation with my Dad and he does the same as your friend. Mobil 1 every 15k miles. Car is a 95', trailered Club Racer. 160k miles and it is a healthest clean burning 993 engine I know. Never opened, burns no oil and smells clean with headers! Maybe changing every 15k is the key?
How many years of track only driving does it take to reach 15k miles?

Quick Reply: Do you have to change oil every year....