Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

That new clutch smell

Old 11-16-2011, 05:06 PM
MDamen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That new clutch smell

I just installed the lightweight flywheel and new clutch, along with new clutch master, slave and slave hose. The clutch pedal feel is very smooth and easy. The clutch engages close to the floor and it seems to be either in or out. It is diffiuclt to control, and I have stalled the car a few times, or rev it up too high. When I smoothly engage the clutch I get a slight burnt clutch smell in the car.

Does the clutch disc need to get conditioned or something? Is it going to get easier to engage smoothly and lose that burning smell? Is this within the range of normal experience for new clutches?
Old 11-16-2011, 05:12 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

My LWF/RS clutch was a little stinky at first as well. The smell went away very soon after. Pretty sure it's normal, but perhaps wiser minds than I will chime in...
Old 11-16-2011, 05:20 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Ha! Me too! I thought I was going to burn up the clutch in a 1000 miles. I’d rev it up to get rolling and the clutch would STINK. My car would stall if I pushed in the clutch on decel. It's very embarrassing to stall the car in the front of a line of cars when the light changes. I can just imagine the people behind me laughing about the guy who can't drive his Porsche.

I had to have some other ECU work done so Steve Weiner took care of the stalling issue too. And I have learned to drive with the lwf. It took some time to get the clutch disengage and the throttle synced together from a stop and on shifts. I haven’t smelled that awful clutch stink since.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:55 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've changed the clutch twice and had no odd smells, slipping, etc. (one stock and one LWF/RS). It should be quiet, smooth and emit no smells.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Jim W
Instructor

I had a heavy duty "race" clutch with LWF and had a terrible time with starting out at first. Heavy pedal, little modulation, very grabby. Good news is after a while it becomes much easier. Cheers.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:08 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a new clutch installed in my new (to me) tt and experienced no smell whatever. I did not go with a LWF....that may make a difference....Chris
Old 11-16-2011, 07:22 PM
TravisB
Pro

Originally Posted by MDamen
I just installed the lightweight flywheel and new clutch, along with new clutch master, slave and slave hose. The clutch pedal feel is very smooth and easy. The clutch engages close to the floor and it seems to be either in or out. It is diffiuclt to control, and I have stalled the car a few times, or rev it up too high. When I smoothly engage the clutch I get a slight burnt clutch smell in the car.

Does the clutch disc need to get conditioned or something? Is it going to get easier to engage smoothly and lose that burning smell? Is this within the range of normal experience for new clutches?
Perfect timing! I was just getting ready to see if there was anyone local with a LWF clutch I could check out before I start spending money. Work has been a bit crazy and I totally forgot you were doing this, I'm irritated I didn't get to stop by while you were in the middle of it!

Anyway, I could imagine that the clutch isn't totally unlike brake pads, where there's a break in period, transfer layer, etc etc. Since you have a lot less inertia to use, you have to substitute revs and slipping, and that's going to mean heat and likely the stink while everything's getting broken in. I'd only worry if it doesn't stop, but sounds like this is pretty normal going by the other posts.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:55 PM
MDamen
Pro

Travis,
Once it mellows out we can get together and you check it out. I also installed the RS motor mounts. Dropping the engine is quite an adventure that I recomend to anyone wanting to get to know their car better. It is a little intimidating before you start, but once in the middle of it, things feel much more comfortable. It makes a lot of sense to do the 90k service at the same time. I did a lot of delayed maintenance that would have been extremely difficult to do with the engine in. Plan on spending the extra money to do these things. I'll PM you with a list of all the stuff I did while the engine was out. I'll try to put some prices, but I really don't want to know how much I spent.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:45 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the verdict on LWF ?
Pros vs cons?
Old 11-16-2011, 09:11 PM
michel j
Instructor

My new clutch and flywheel smelled a bit at first, but, it went away after a few hundred miles. I beleive that if that short hose that vents the tranni to the intake is not intack, then the smell may last a little longer. Of course, if the airbox is drilled for the motorsound reason, then there wil not be enough vaccum for the tranni to vent to be effectively. Then again, maybe the tranni vent may not make that much difference?

There is much written on rennlist and elsewhere re pros and cons of LWF. Personally, I like it. There is no doubt the car is more responsive. I have learned to avoid the occasional stalling ( I have a SW chip).
Old 11-16-2011, 09:58 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ish993
What's the verdict on LWF ?
Pros vs cons?
Ish,
do a quick search. You'll find this topic has been beaten to death on the forum. Only second to motor oil discussions... Or possibly 3rd due to suspension topics (which ones, ride height, and poly vs rubber)...

Old 11-19-2011, 06:27 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks!
Old 11-19-2011, 10:04 PM
MDamen
Pro

I have had no problems with the LWF. No stalling issues what so ever. I haven't had a chance to drive it aggressively yet, so I can't comment on the performance aspects. I have a 96.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: That new clutch smell