Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Howto? remove clip/ bolt (rear deck lid shocks)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 12:21 PM
The Eagle
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Howto? remove clip/ bolt (rear deck lid shocks)

I'm about to change the rear deck lid shocks so I'm reading the guidelines on http://p-car.com/diy/hoodshock/.
I'm wondering, how do I remove the clip from the bolt? Is there a certain technique to use or do I pry it off?
TIA!

~ The Eagle ~
---------------------

'96 Polar Silver/Black C4S, manual, litronics, LED's in the positioning lights, alu/leather shifter & handbrake,
silver face gauges with alu rings, sport seats, full leather interior, motor sound airbox, stainless door sills,
valve caps Porsche crested brushed alloy, front protection bar, with split rear grill and layered with Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax

'92 Carrera 2 (Sold)
'89 Carrera 3.2 (Sold)
Old 11-15-2011, 12:43 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 150 Posts

Its not that difficult. If you can get your hands back there you can use your fingernail to lift up the edge and slide it off. Or, use a needle nose and grasp the bent edge, lift and slide it off without losing grip so you dont drop it. Lastly, if you have a good length skinny blade screw driver you can just get unde the clip enough to pry it off (just make sure you dont drop it!!! I would recommend putting a towel or sheet under the assembly so when you drop something, it just lands in the sheet and is easy to retrieve. Honestly, people seem to have a lot of trouble with these on the front and rear, but with good lighting, some patience and good techinque, I did all 4 (two front, two rear) in about 30 min.

Good luck!!
Old 11-15-2011, 12:49 PM
The Eagle
Pro

Thanks Kent!
I'll tie a piece of small thread to each clip and bolt to be sure.

~ The Eagle ~
---------------------

'96 Polar Silver/Black C4S, manual, litronics, LED's in the positioning lights, alu/leather shifter & handbrake,
silver face gauges with alu rings, sport seats, full leather interior, motor sound airbox, stainless door sills,
valve caps Porsche crested brushed alloy, front protection bar, with split rear grill and layered with Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax

'92 Carrera 2 (Sold)
'89 Carrera 3.2 (Sold)
Old 11-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Eagle
Thanks Kent!
I'll tie a piece of small thread to each clip and bolt to be sure.

That's exactly what I did... it will sproing who knows where if it gets free for even an instant.

I have big hands, so the likelihood of me detaching it successfully was 0%, and sure enough it went flying. I just reeled it back in with the string. Total success.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:31 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Yep, another good option. string or dental floss should work.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:58 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 478 Posts

I'm about to change the rear deck lid shocks...
I hope you got the OEM shocks from Porsche. The aftermarket (same manufacturer though) shocks that I installed for an RLer had the rear lid fling burgers...it came up that fast and would hit the hinge stops very hard.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:54 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by skl2
Yep, another good option. string or dental floss should work.
I used a thin tie wrap to thread into the clip, but the idea is the same..
Old 11-16-2011, 02:42 AM
The Eagle
Pro

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I hope you got the OEM shocks from Porsche. The aftermarket (same manufacturer though) shocks that I installed for an RLer had the rear lid fling burgers...it came up that fast and would hit the hinge stops very hard.
Yes I did. Bought them yesterday from Porsche.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:53 PM
The Eagle
Pro

Done!
What did I learn and want to share with you guys:
1) It took me one hour to do the two shocks as I'm a real amateur
2) The best way to remove the clip = as Kent said: "use your fingernail to lift up the edge and slide it off" (see pic)

3) I attached really thin galvanized wire to each clip before removing and putting them back. When the clip was removed I did the same with the bolt. Takes more time but it's safer.
4) You need to jiggle/play with the deck lid when you remove the bolt, it only slides out when the deck lid is at the right height/position.
5) Now I have some damaged hands and a sore back

(References for the shocks.)

~ The Eagle ~
---------------------

'92 Carrera 2 (Sold)
'89 Carrera 3.2 (Sold)
Old 11-17-2011, 11:23 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have two new FRONT ('trunk') shocks in my garage - that will be 'done' over this coming winter.
You've tickled my fancy ...I might just do the engine ('hood') shocks whilst I'm at it.
Thankyou for the 'nudge'.
Gerry
Old 11-17-2011, 11:32 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Done!
What did I learn and want to share with you guys:
1) It took me one hour to do the two shocks as I'm a real amateur
2) The best way to remove the clip = as Kent said: "use your fingernail to lift up the edge and slide it off" (see pic)

3) I attached really thin galvanized wire to each clip before removing and putting them back. When the clip was removed I did the same with the bolt. Takes more time but it's safer.
4) You need to jiggle/play with the deck lid when you remove the bolt, it only slides out when the deck lid is at the right height/position.
5) Now I have some damaged hands and a sore back

(References for the shocks.)

~ The Eagle ~
---------------------

'92 Carrera 2 (Sold)
'89 Carrera 3.2 (Sold)

Glad it went well! Yea, leaning over the engine while replacing those reminds you of all those little muscles in your back that you had previously forgotten

For the fronts, the technique is different: Take the new shocks out and find a long, thin flat blade that fits under the rounded metal clip. Then, reach that down and slide it under the rounded clip and pry it out. That is the hardest part. Once you have the rounded clip displaced, it will pull right off at the bottom. The top is simple: use fingernail, remove clip, pull pin.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:37 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Put a towel below the area to catch any parts that might fall down. In combination with a magnetic pickup tool, you have a good "Plan B"

Quick Reply: Howto? remove clip/ bolt (rear deck lid shocks)