Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

While I'm in there replacing the clutch...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 07:13 PM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chain box leak

It's not rare to have the chain box leak between the box and the case.It is a major job to do by itself.If the engine is coming out it is still 8hours of labor and there are like 20 small O-Rings that need to be done with the job plus the metal gaskets.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:53 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 77'3.6vram
It's not rare to have the chain box leak between the box and the case.It is a major job to do by itself.If the engine is coming out it is still 8hours of labor and there are like 20 small O-Rings that need to be done with the job plus the metal gaskets.
20 small o-rings? you mean the rubber seals on the cover studs?

Keith, in any case, it is a pain since the cam gear needs to come off.
I would be very sure the leak isn't elsewhere first... if driver's side, the tensioner can leak and the oil runs downhill. Much easier to change that...
Old 11-14-2011, 08:49 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
Keith, in any case, it is a pain since the cam gear needs to come off.
I would be very sure the leak isn't elsewhere first... if driver's side, the tensioner can leak and the oil runs downhill. Much easier to change that...
Thanks Mark! That's kind of what I was expecting. No leak, so I won't want to touch it when (or if, at this rate....) I get around to my "take it all apart" service (clutch, AWDectomy, "while I'm in there", etc)

Last edited by kjr914; 11-14-2011 at 08:50 PM. Reason: edutin' n mizSpelln
Old 11-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

A dealer will charge about $4000.00 for the 90k service alone.Add the plug wires and distributor belt and you are at $5000.00 to $6000.00.To reseal the chain boxes ,including the metal gasket that goes between the box and the case, add another $1500.00.With a new clutch LW or not and you will be in for $10,000.00 with tax.
Sh*t, I really need to open a shop. :-)
Old 11-14-2011, 09:46 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
I was thinking the same thing. The things I could do to my car for those amounts...and many times over.

No wonder they can afford to drive fancy Porsches.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:56 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kjr914
Anyone know how often the chain box-to-case metal gasket is the leak source?
Keith, the best thing to do is to thoroughly degrease the whole engine using a water based degreaser of your choice. One short run later, its easy to determine what exactly is leaking.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:04 AM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So many of you have no place owning these cars!

In Florida my service costs were half of what they are in the North East.If you guys think you can make a better living wrenching on Porsches in this area of the country come on up and do it.When you have a real life there is no time to get oil and crap imbedded in your hands and elsewhere and then need to spend an hour trying to clean yourself up.My wife does not want to be touched with mechanics hands.My kids feel the same way and I enjoy spending quality time with all of them including my four dogs.A Porsche ,or collection of them,should complement your life NOT define it.I have had a true love of Porsches for thirty years.I am forty one and believe I have my priorities straight.I have the facilities(lifts,tools and basic skills) to do allot of the work my six Porsches myself.I choose to have the cars picked up,fixed and delivered when they are complete.When I was in my twenties I wasted a great deal of time fixing and maintaining my cars.It cost me far less money but I lost a wife to the compulsion.Take a hard look at your lives and decide whether or not you can truly afford the car you drive!Spending time in a garage with a bunch of men drinking beer is not what life is about.Not mine at least.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:12 AM
firesm
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Florida my service costs were half of what they are in the North East.If you guys think you can make a better living wrenching on Porsches in this area of the country come on up and do it.When you have a real life there is no time to get oil and crap imbedded in your hands and elsewhere and then need to spend an hour trying to clean yourself up.My wife does not want to be touched with mechanics hands.My kids feel the same way and I enjoy spending quality time with all of them including my four dogs.A Porsche ,or collection of them,should complement your life NOT define it.I have had a true love of Porsches for thirty years.I am forty one and believe I have my priorities straight.I have the facilities(lifts,tools and basic skills) to do allot of the work my six Porsches myself.I choose to have the cars picked up,fixed and delivered when they are complete.When I was in my twenties I wasted a great deal of time fixing and maintaining my cars.It cost me far less money but I lost a wife to the compulsion.Take a hard look at your lives and decide whether or not you can truly afford the car you drive!Spending time in a garage with a bunch of men drinking beer is not what life is about.Not mine at least.

Wow!
Old 11-15-2011, 12:34 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

open a dealership, I guess

they sell fancy Porsches
they must be wealthy

open an Indy shop and you can take two "incomes" and turn them into one!
ask me how I know
Old 11-15-2011, 12:39 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I was thinking the same thing. The things I could do to my car for those amounts...and many times over.

No wonder they can afford to drive fancy Porsches.
so do it, open a shop
would be fun to watch

seriously. You seem to have a passion (or something) for these cars.
put it to good use.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:52 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

so do it, open a shop
would be fun to watch

seriously. You seem to have e passion (or something) for these cars.
put it to good use.
Hey Mark,

My problem is too small a market - remember I am in Vancouver, B.C. We already have dealers, near-dealers and several some independents. The other issue is my passion is these cars, not necessarily running a repair shop... so I would tend towards on a specialty of some kind.

But I hear you, and believe me I have been thinking about this, so I am looking for ideas!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-15-2011, 12:59 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Hey Mark,

My problem is too small a market - remember I am in Vancouver, B.C. We already have dealers, near-dealers and several some independents. The other issue is my passion is these cars, not necessarily running a repair shop... so I would tend towards on a specialty of some kind.

But I hear you, and believe me I have been thinking about this, so I am looking for ideas!

Cheers,

Mike
I totally get your perspective and have a similar view. You have to keep it interesting...
also, sounds like a tough market up there

ps- the post you quoted wasn't directed at you, though you should dive in! You would make the Porsche business a better place
ideas... Start with something specific that you enjoy. You already said it... A "specialty" of a sort.
I'm thinking engine building would be good for you
Old 11-15-2011, 01:46 AM
kapflaco
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mon Dieu 77'3.6vram! I hope you are off the mark.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:12 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by kapflaco
Mon Dieu 77'3.6vram! I hope you are off the mark.
It takes all kinds, from my perspective he is missing half the fun....
Old 11-15-2011, 10:19 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

so do it, open a shop
would be fun to watch

seriously. You seem to have a passion (or something) for these cars.
put it to good use.
Mark, I have a passion for whatever I concentrate on, be it my plain old daily driver, my Porsche, my BMW motorcycles, my motorcycle touring.

For starters, I produce replacement Beru ignition wires and soon I'll have replacement bearings for the dual distributor.

But I have a full time job at the moment, soon to retire, so I'll have gobs of time.

Quick Reply: While I'm in there replacing the clutch...