Sponsored by:

OT Subaru wrx or STI

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 08:56 PM
arcteryxbird
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT Subaru wrx or STI

Hi everyone, I am in the market for a gently used WRX and was just wondering if the Sti is worth the extra cash for a daily driver ? I am looking to spend around 30K . The 5 door hatchback is very nice ( little more cargo room for the family ) What do you think go STI or WRX base and save some cash for the p-car
Old 11-10-2011, 09:12 PM
tkrtape12
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 2 friends with STI's and if you think your not going to mod it your crazy ... They love them my one buddy hit the kink at Road America being a little to spirited.. hit the tires and minus fender,front bumper and new lights it was straight ..very well built.. I'd say go out and drive them both.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

The newer STI's are building up evidence of problems with brittle pistons - they tend to break the ring lands, usually due to a misfire. This is especially true if you "hop" the car up, since being highly strung means more sensitivity to fuel variations.

Read some the the Subaru boards, there are some very long ugly threads. The earlier STI's (before the body style changed) were much stronger. The theory is the design or supplier of the pistons changed, and slight changes in the metallurgy is causing problems.

The WRX, on the other hand, appears not to have this problem. However, its not build that well for mods (it will take them though) as the STI. The funny part? The 0-60 time is better on a WRX and a STI because there is one less shift due to the 5 speed on the WRX.

Mods are much much cheaper than the 993's - you can get engines with forged pistons for the STI which will eliminate the problem.

You should drive them as well - they tend to be revvers since they are smaller displacement engines wiht lots of boost - the turbos can cut in quite quick.

My vote for a daily driver? The WRX because its got a good bang for the buck, and the STI if you have some more money to burn to get the best you can get. However, if you drive that, your 993 will not feel that quick anymore.

Cheers

Mike
Old 11-10-2011, 10:57 PM
arcteryxbird
Instructor

Thanks for the info Mike,
I posted these concerns on the wrx forum and the moderator said "They use the exact same hyperheuretic cast pistons. Only difference is the dimension of the individual piston"

The WRX does seem like the way to go here, besides the 993 will always be my FUN car!
Old 11-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Hmm, did not see that comment, I thought they were different. Oh well, it could be that the STI is higher strung than the WRX, so the chance of that mis-fire impacting the piston and cracking it higher. Do not know enough to say either way.

The WRX and the STI are plenty fun too!..... I looked at them when considering the Turbo because I wanted to make sure I entertained all options - but I am still a Porsche man in and out, so the Turbo was the choice to have (even if it's almost, at 15 years old, twice as much as a brand new WRX).

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-10-2011, 11:10 PM
tkrtape12
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My buddy sent me this:..Good luck with the purchase

Some of the things I like about the STI over the wrx version that aren't related to power are as follows.

The 6 spd tranny makes the car MUCH easier to drive around town in a civil and smooth manner. There is always a gear that works. I found the 5 spd to be a little awkward in certain situations. Also the 6 spd is a crisper cleaner shifting tranny even after a STS was mounted to both of them. Also the Sti clutch is actually easier to push.

The driver adjustable center differential (which can now be ordered on the rex) makes the car ALLOT more user friendly in multiple situations. IE when you "lock" the diff on water covered rutted roads there is a drastic reductions in wandering through the puddles, also when the diff is putt on a full rear bias the car doesn't bob back and forth across the ruts on hard launches into corners.

The LSD also make for better control in the snow. I was unimpressed with the wrx, but the sti (even on horrible summer tires I am wearing out) has a more solid and predicted feel. Especially with the CD locked.

The suspension is better, but could still benefit from the same treatment.

The brakes are allot better, but I wasn't particularly disappointed with the rex, I think either is good for DD and some autox time. There is a fare amount less brake fade after a few hot laps in the sti.

The STI styling seems to add enough aggressiveness to set itself apart from a standard impreza.

I am sure there is a little more, but that's what I come up with, performance is of course over and above these things. (including a more upgradable turbo layout and engine design.)
Old 11-11-2011, 12:39 AM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

I have had 2 STI's, '06 & '07 in sedans and now own a '11 WRX. STI's were a blast to drive but as a daily driver this time around I chose the WRX Limited Sedan. Drove both back to back this time and I felt the WRX was easier to drive. The STI comes with many more bells and whistle, this time around I felt I didn't need them. Have had the car just under a year, and so far no complaints. Have had each tuned w/ COBB AP, and the WRX is plenty fast.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:13 AM
mattjb
Intermediate

Although I haven't owned an STI I did have an '05 WRX for many years, which I traded in for the 993.

My other Subaru is an '05 Legacy GT and is *far* more comfortable and versatile than the WRX ever was. Both were wagons, but the Legacy has a lot more usable space. The Legacy GT has a 2.5l motor with a turbo, so it scoots pretty damn good if you can find one with a 5 speed. It's also super-stealthy and doesn't shout boy-racer like the WRX and STI did.

FWIW

-mb
Old 11-11-2011, 09:18 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tkrtape12
My buddy sent me this:..Good luck with the purchase

Some of the things I like about the STI over the wrx version that aren't related to power are as follows.

The 6 spd tranny makes the car MUCH easier to drive around town in a civil and smooth manner. There is always a gear that works. I found the 5 spd to be a little awkward in certain situations. Also the 6 spd is a crisper cleaner shifting tranny even after a STS was mounted to both of them. Also the Sti clutch is actually easier to push.

The driver adjustable center differential (which can now be ordered on the rex) makes the car ALLOT more user friendly in multiple situations. IE when you "lock" the diff on water covered rutted roads there is a drastic reductions in wandering through the puddles, also when the diff is putt on a full rear bias the car doesn't bob back and forth across the ruts on hard launches into corners.

The LSD also make for better control in the snow. I was unimpressed with the wrx, but the sti (even on horrible summer tires I am wearing out) has a more solid and predicted feel. Especially with the CD locked.

The suspension is better, but could still benefit from the same treatment.

The brakes are allot better, but I wasn't particularly disappointed with the rex, I think either is good for DD and some autox time. There is a fare amount less brake fade after a few hot laps in the sti.

The STI styling seems to add enough aggressiveness to set itself apart from a standard impreza.

I am sure there is a little more, but that's what I come up with, performance is of course over and above these things. (including a more upgradable turbo layout and engine design.)
What about drive feel? I've only tried the WRX. The WRX seating position, power, etc. were all as expected and not disappointing at all. Lacking was the somewhat sloppy shifter, clutch and overall car feel (too cushy and rolling around in turns). Some of the softness may well be a plus in some bumpier roads and I've experienced that in some countries with many unpaved pathways. Will the STi feel a bit more like an M car or perhaps a sportier Porsche (a modified suspension on a 993 or a GT3 like) or is it supposed to be more softly sprung just like the WRX? Thks in advance for any comment.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:56 AM
speedbagger
Rennlist Member

just bought a 2011 base sedan as a dd. great value for the price and a fun little car.

currently need 4dr and awd but will trade for a c4s some day....

anyway, i've done cobb stage1, sway bars/end links, short shift/bushings to address some of the shortcomings. the only thing left that i'd like to do (but may not other than pads) is the brakes--which were surprisingly weak. i'm leaving the springs/shocks stock for now as well as i don't want to lower or create a harsher ride.

i'd love to have an stil but personally i don't see it as worth the extra $9k (base vs base) for a dd.

good luck.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:51 PM
arcteryxbird
Instructor

Well today I drove them back to back, WRX first - 2009 low km's , very nice car. It was quick ,pulled hard , some turbo lag but could be dealt with a little more practice on my part . One thing though was the shifter felt sloppy and long throw !! I suppose this could be rectified with a few mods however. Otherwise a tight little car that makes you feel confident pushing it hard . 4 out of 5
Now the STI , 2010 low km's - Wow! She is a Beast ! Everything the WRX is missing , short throw gearbox , very little turbo lag , all the electronic bells and whistles to control the drive line/ diffs.
I could go on and on but I'm sure many of you know the facts about these two great cars..

Best part - insurance is cheaper for the STI ! I guess it has a better safety standard than the WRX ( STI ranks 1 while the WRX ranks a 3 according to my broker) better brakes ?
Whatever it is , it spells STI for me!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts , comments , they are much appreciated
Now I have to find the right one , let the hunting begin!

Side note , I spoke to a reputable independent shop today with regard to engine/ piston ringland failure, he said " not to worry , those engines were most likely improperly flashed/ tuned and run lean / too much boost .... etc "
Not my words, just saying

Cheers,

Quick Reply: OT Subaru wrx or STI