Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Frustrated! SAI DIY - dead end??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 12:38 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

do all 3 ports on each side need to be cleared?
since the airflow from all 3 ports meet up before the o2 sensors for the test maybe just having 2 ports on each bank cleared will allow enough airflow to meet the test.
if rerouting the plumbing directly to the cats pre sensor works it might be that just having 1 port on each bank clear allows enough air to meet the test as long as the check valve is in working order.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:44 PM
ecobb993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do all 3 ports on each side need to be cleared?
Don't know if anyone has done an experiment on this, but "while you're in there", you might as well do 'em all.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:14 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I ended up able to clear 2 ports on one side and only one on the other. So far (knock on wood) I've put on about 8K miles and no CEL. I tried every kind of wire, cable and even my hammer drill, but could not get all three ports. I'm also on Larry's 2nd list for the magic box as I WILL NOT under any circumstances attempt that under the car on a creeper ream job again. So to answer K722070's question, apparently you do NOT need all 6, at least I didn't.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadeye
I ended up able to clear 2 ports on one side and only one on the other. So far (knock on wood) I've put on about 8K miles and no CEL. I tried every kind of wire, cable and even my hammer drill, but could not get all three ports. I'm also on Larry's 2nd list for the magic box as I WILL NOT under any circumstances attempt that under the car on a creeper ream job again. So to answer K722070's question, apparently you do NOT need all 6, at least I didn't.
Dennis, how much oil are you burning?
Old 11-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Dennis, how much oil are you burning?
Apx 1qt per 2,500 miles. A tad more when we go to the track. Nothing but Brad Penn 20w50 for 3 years now.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:08 PM
maestromaestro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry It is official - given up...

After having tried everything I could try (all sorts of cables, sheaths, solvents, pushing air, casting spells, cursing (a lot)), I tossed in the towel. One of the SAIs was just plugged solid, and I spent most of the time on it.

On the bright side, now I have 8 new gaskets and a new air check valve in my cab. And, I can now drop and put up heat exchangers in a reasonable time. Same with the airbox.

And, at least, I can say that I have tried.

I cannot believe how tight the access is to some spots - I think Porsche did it deliberately to discourage DIYers.

Now I am left with some one-off tools - filed-off crow-foot wrench, quick-disconnect welded to the bottom of the old check valve, six cans of carb cleaner, a gallon of paint thinner, pipe-bomb-looking contraption that I fashioned to see if I could push a larger slug of solvent down the line (couldn't), and some other miscellanea.

Kudos to those who traveled down this path before me (I used a number of write ups here and elsewhere). And thanks for everyone who encouraged me.

Next thing - the "electronic route". Ultimately, cheaper and less frustrating. Either that, or a piece of electric tape over the CEL.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear M. I would think that with 5 of 6 ports clear that the SAI check engine light would not light. Just speculation on my part though. Good luck with it though.

Quick Reply: Frustrated! SAI DIY - dead end??