993 Forum 1995-1998

OT - Any experience with State Farm Select

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 08:04 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT - Any experience with State Farm Select

This is a follow-up to my request for body shop recommendations - thanks to all who responded.

Does anyone have experience using State Farm Select Service? It's a service in which they use a contracted body shop to do the work, pay the shop directly, and then back up the warranty on the work.

The upside for State Farm is that they have negotiated discounts and only get billed for the actual cost of parts (for example, a used fender), and they don't have to deal with me being a pain in the neck. The only downside is that they have to hear from me if there's ever any problem with the repairs.

The upside for me is that I drop the car off directly at the body shop - no wrangling with estimates and such. The body shop fixes the car, sends the bill to state farm, and I take my fixed car home - easy peasy. Unless something goes wrong.

Seems good, but I'm nervous about SF, not me, being the ultimate responsible party - on the other hand, avoiding some hassle would be nice.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Linnm
Pro

I would be uneasy. I had to use a body shop a couple of years ago. I knew what shop I wanted to use and had no interest in what the insurance company's choice was.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:28 PM
TravisB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only had one body shop experience with a car I really cared about..had a parking lot hit and run situation at work, pretty minor really. Used State Farm and a "Select" shop or whatever. Long story short, they made the same repair four times before I gave up (two times at the original shop, two times at a different shop). They refused to replace the fender and kept trying to fix it with filler. Cost of a brand new factory fender for said car was a whole $160 or so, just for a datapoint.

IMO, State Farm likely partners up with shops that will save them money more so than with shops that would do top notch work..since, let's face it, 97% of the public wouldn't bat an eye at getting average quality bodywork. Just as long as it's shiny again right??
Old 11-09-2011, 09:30 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I would be nervous that the body shop would see State Farm as the customer as opposed to you. I, personally, would rather the body shop knew they were working for me. Plus, any reputable shop should stand behind their work. I'd go wherever YOU wanted to.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:43 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
I would be nervous that the body shop would see State Farm as the customer as opposed to you. I, personally, would rather the body shop knew they were working for me. Plus, any reputable shop should stand behind their work. I'd go wherever YOU wanted to.
I agree. I would be concerned that the body shop wants to please State Farm to remain on their list at your expense.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts
Default State Farm

Back in the early 80's, my brand new 79 Saab 900 Turbo was backed into in the courthouse parking lot. My cousin was the family State Farm agent. After the (then) $150.00 deductible, the body shop I wanted to use would cost $115.00. State Farm's adjuster would only "authorize" $60.00 ($55.00 difference IIRC correctly). Wouldn't budge. I had my father cancel every State Farm Policy he had and spread the word as far as possible. 30+ years later , the cousin still won't speak to me and as a Plaintiff's attorney, find State Farm one of the worst, most unreasonable insurers to deal with. JMHO.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:28 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

In my case State Farm treated me well. I received a check based on a quote from the dealership. I took the car to a different shop and got the body work done and a complete respray with the check.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:30 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

I guess I should have been move clear _ the Select Shop in my area is one that several people on RL and Dorkiphus have recommended for our cars, so I have no concern about their ability to do the work, only the payment method.

Also, I have concerns about the drivability of the car, so I don't want to go a bunch of places getting estimates.

Finally, there will probably be additional mechanical repairs to the front suspension once they do the teardown, so any initial estimate will be low anyway.

Quick Reply: OT - Any experience with State Farm Select