Help request: Top of clutch pedal 1.5 inches of no resistance

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 05:39 PM
initial
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help request: Top of clutch pedal 1.5 inches of no resistance

Hi,

On my 95 C4, the first inch or two of clutch pedal travel offers no hydraulic resistance. Is this by design or a simple adjustment is required? If an adjustment is required, any pointers on where to obtain the DIY information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Initial
Old 11-09-2011, 07:38 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a kenamtic lever that basically makes the clutch lever come up a bit further than it really needs to be. There is a spring behind the lever that adds resistance and assists with bringing the clutch pedal up. The spring on yours may have little/no tension on it.
The other possibility is an air bubble in your line that needs to be compressed before the hydraulic fluid can do its job. I would pull the little wood board out and inspect your linkages and make sure the little spring is in there. Something may also be loose?

Good luck and post what you find in case someone else here has the same symptoms in the future.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:14 PM
mattjb
Intermediate

Hi Initial, check this out.

http://p-car.com/diy/pedal/

My car does this too. I've had the fluid flushed, which didn't seem to help. It's a bit worrying but in my case the clutch fully engages and it's just the pedal isn't returning that last little bit, so I'm going to leave it alone until I need to dig in for something else.

If i were to repair it, next steps for me are as follows.

1. Check pedal for kinematic technical bulletin (see above)
2. Replace clutch
3. Rebuild/replace slave cylinder
Old 11-09-2011, 09:36 PM
initial
Instructor

The clutch pedal does come up on its own.. Its just kind of strange to have a difference in the resistance at the top of the travel up or down. I take this to mean that this was the intended design?
Old 11-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

yes, the assist is non-linear since its a spring, especially when you get over a hump and it really takes off. Its not obvious how powerful the spring is until you have the pedal cluster out for servicing, and you try to activate the clutch pedal without the clutch master acting as a damper. Watch the fingers, that is all I say!!!

Cheers,

mike
Old 11-09-2011, 11:47 PM
tribaltech
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I noticed the same issue. I just bought a 95 C2, and on my first drive on the highway, the clutch was slipping above 4500 RPM in third and fourth gear. I first suspected the clutch may be dead, but then I noticed the pedal wasn't coming back up all the way. Once I foced it to come back up with my foot, no slipping.

I came across the kinematic level article referenced above. This will be one of my first projects I guess.

Quick Reply: Help request: Top of clutch pedal 1.5 inches of no resistance