993 Forum 1995-1998

Rauh Welt Idlers video

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 10:29 AM
kilodawg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found the following comments to be more revealing:

"a movie called No Man’s Land was one of my favorite movies of all time. Going fast and stealing Porsches was what it was all about.....I thought it was pretty crazy the way they drove the cars in the movie."

"I personally installed some Recaro’s, a steering wheel, KW’s and TE37′s for a JDM/Euro look, slammed it and called it a day"

"I loved the way it looked but at the same time having a RWB car would be awesome."

Again do whatever you want to your car but comments like these clearly show that the place this guy is coming from has a lot less to do about engineering precision, engineering principles and motorsports history and a lot more to do about Hollywood and superficial image. I think somewhere in that distinction is where we part ways.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:17 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Ralph-- ^^ Great meeting you last month at Rennsport Reunion

From a friend's blog, digitalDtour.wordpress.com.
Click on any image for a high-resolution original of his photography.
Originally Posted by digitalDtour

Through the looking glass…The SEMA Show 2011

Old 11-28-2011, 08:22 PM
kilodawg
Racer

Same here.... but has it only been a month? I was thinking it's been a couple of years already and I was getting ready to book my ticket for RRV
Old 12-04-2011, 05:38 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ralph-- Agreed ^^ been way too long. Time for another Reunion
Originally Posted by camlob

I like the slate grey 993!

^^ Photogaphy by Ernesto Che. All rights reserved by eGarage.com.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:42 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Old 12-04-2011, 11:46 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That grey 993 sure looks awesome but after reading an article about it in 911 Porsche World, I dunno...

I mean the way that thing looks, and the you read it's a bone stock '95 TIPTRONIC...
I'd be perfectly fine with N/A 993 with just some weight reduction, headers etc. real good suspension (monoballs & stuff) but stock sunroof tiptronic with only coil overs and some exhaust?

That's messed up.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:33 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^
True, then again, what else are you supposed to do with a Tip?
Old 12-05-2011, 12:40 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Flying Finn

an article about it in 911 Porsche World...

it's a bone stock '95 TIPTRONIC...
sunroof with only coil overs and some exhaust?

That's messed up.
FF-- IF it was the issue below, the magazine's looks like a Euro right-hand-drive with Euro turn signal marker lights, etc. The preview I read at 911porscheWorld.com said its RWB conversion was in Europe.

Still not much known here about the above 993, but it was assembled at Fatlace (CA) &/or RWB USA, & is a left-hand-drive, no side markers; US windshield wiper placement, etc.

Wheels & seats look different, too, but they both have sun-roofs

^^ Copyright 911PorscheWorld.com.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:47 AM
ETW
Rennlist Member

The one built in CA is mine. I bought a bone stock 95 C2 (not tiptronic) and sent it straight there for Nakai to work his magic. Build quality is great. There is nothing flimsy about the kit. And yes the front lip scrapes on everything but it is rubber so it flexes back and doesn't show much wear. I hate the sunroof as much as the next guy but there was simply not enough time to find a non sunroof skin and I don't like the idea of cutting the roof out of a car that hasn't been reinforced with a cage. The only thing they did out there performance wise was KW V3 coilovers. I've had the car back home for about a month now and have added RS motor mounts, gutted the interior and added black RS carpet, RS door panels, and full stereo/radio delete. Before removing any of the interior/stereo the car weighed 2909 pounds. By the time I add Recaros and a few other lightweight bits it could break into the 2700s. Next up for mods is finishing making the interior black then get started on the engine (I know, I know- it needs a real exhaust with tips that actually fit)

Old 12-05-2011, 02:40 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

What a crock... I'm all for people doing their own thing but Cmon!

This:

In the long run, everybody wants to see original, period-correct cars. Owners of aircooled Porsches should be conscious of their obligation to future generations. The enthusiasts of the future may not know what a proper short-wheelbase 911 looks like, or a ’79 SC, or a ’95 Turbo, unless you keep yours the way it was meant to be.

tells me the guy that wrote this is a tool of the highest order@! Talk about generalisations!

I personally couldn't give a flying **** to the moon on the space shuttle if EVERYONE wants to see original period correct cars - have you ever driven a car with 14 year old Monroes? What a power tool!

Rant OFF!
Old 12-05-2011, 02:21 PM
kilodawg
Racer

Please send all those worthless tips my way. I'll man up and take them off your hands. It's the least I can do to help you guys out....
Old 12-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover
FF-- IF it was the issue below, the magazine's looks like a Euro right-hand-drive with Euro turn signal marker lights, etc. The preview I read at 911porscheWorld.com said its RWB conversion was in Europe.

Still not much known here about the above 993, but it was assembled at Fatlace (CA) &/or RWB USA, & is a left-hand-drive, no side markers; US windshield wiper placement, etc.

Wheels & seats look different, too, but they both have sun-roofs ....
It's that article and you're right, they're not the same car although they look very much alike. I assume the bodykit is the same.
I didn't pay attention to the steering wheel etc.
Wheels I noticed but in the article, they talked about wheels being temporary (they were done with huge spaces).

Originally Posted by ETW
The one built in CA is mine. I bought a bone stock 95 C2 (not tiptronic) and sent it straight there for Nakai to work his magic. Build quality is great. There is nothing flimsy about the kit. And yes the front lip scrapes on everything but it is rubber so it flexes back and doesn't show much wear. I hate the sunroof as much as the next guy but there was simply not enough time to find a non sunroof skin and I don't like the idea of cutting the roof out of a car that hasn't been reinforced with a cage. The only thing they did out there performance wise was KW V3 coilovers. I've had the car back home for about a month now and have added RS motor mounts, gutted the interior and added black RS carpet, RS door panels, and full stereo/radio delete. Before removing any of the interior/stereo the car weighed 2909 pounds. By the time I add Recaros and a few other lightweight bits it could break into the 2700s. Next up for mods is finishing making the interior black then get started on the engine (I know, I know- it needs a real exhaust with tips that actually fit)...
Looks very cool...
Good to hear about the fitment and nothing being flimsy etc. although with the price you have to pay, one must assume that.

Forget about the idea of cutting the roof being bad, just do it. It's been done many times.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:22 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ETW, your car is sweet! Would love to see more pictures. Where are you located?
Old 12-05-2011, 04:25 PM
boxcarracer
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 40 Posts

ETW, your car looks amazing! Must have been $$$, enjoy it!
Old 12-05-2011, 09:34 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

ETW-- Wow ... super shiny (& gorgeous garage).
A 993 RWB is rare; having the only one converted in the USA is beyond words.
Originally Posted by ETW

The one built in CA is mine. I bought a bone stock 95 C2 (not tiptronic) and sent it straight there. I hate the sunroof as much as the next guy but there was simply not enough time.
Regarding the roof ^^ all you can do is try ... looks like you made plenty of effort:
Originally Posted by ETW

Hey, looking for a 1995 Carrera 2 coupe.

Must haves

Coupe
6 speed
Low miles
Well maintained with service records
Original/stock cars preferred
Must be in excellent shape mechanically. Cosmetics are not as important

I will pay more for a factory sunroof delete car
Originally Posted by ETW

Still looking. Where are those sunroof delete cars?

Last edited by curve lover; 12-05-2011 at 09:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Rauh Welt Idlers video