Rauh Welt Idlers video

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 08:16 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike M.

The white one is a manager's for Ken Block's new project.
Originally Posted by CalvinC4S

any pictures of the white 965 with red wheels?
Click below photo for more pix from AutoBlog.com's "RAUH-Welt debuts first American-built RWB Porsche:"
Originally Posted by Drew Phillips

Previously, RAUH-Welt RWB Porsches have been the sole domain of Japan, but here at this week's SEMA show in Las Vegas, the company has unveiled their two latest cars, both of which were constructed here in the United States. The car pictured here is owned by former 0-60 Magazine editor-in-chief Brian Scotto. The white 911 was built in part to promote Ken Block's new Hoonigan brand (Scotto runs it), so we get the feeling that we'll be seeing more of this car on the interwebs in the near future.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:29 PM
tkrtape12
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow what a hot looking car... Any one get pics of there SEMA booth?
Old 11-06-2011, 04:33 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That red and white reminds me of the 80's clubsport.
BEAUTIFUL!! and the 964's after a few cheese burgers look just right!
Old 11-06-2011, 01:27 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

Screw the purists. That thing is awesome!
Old 11-07-2011, 02:17 AM
travanx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still think the RWB cars are the best looking cars period. Not sure how functional any of their stuff is. Can these drive on a street in the States without getting destroyed within a mile?
Old 11-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Dubs
2nd Gear

This one drove 850 miles to and from Vegas for the show:

http://www.eurotuner.com/news/eurp_1...rbo/index.html

and even hit SNOW on the way home!

Old 11-22-2011, 04:02 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Badass!
Old 11-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Dubs
2nd Gear

The company that makes the wheels, Fifteen52, has some pics of it rolling with a similarly colored Jetta

Old 11-26-2011, 08:36 AM
boxcarracer
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

Here's an interesting opinion about RWB
When Porsche “tuner” Uwe Gemballa was found dead and wrapped in cellophane late last year, everyone in the Porsche community expressed sympathy for his wife and friends. Nobody deserves to be killed the way Gemballa was.

On the other hand, however, at least the guy wasn’t going to ruin any more Porsches. His “Mirage” 911-slant-nose-arossa-droptops were perhaps the most hideous custom supercars ever built, and Gemballa himself never really appeared to develop anything even remotely resembling an aesthetic sense. His goal in life appeared to be to simply create terrible cars, and he was reasonably successful at this. Porsche purists hated the guy. There was only one thing he could have done for us to have hated him more: he could have turned his attentions towards the irreplaceable aircooled cars once again and ruined more of them.

Which is precisely what “RWB” does.

This hard-hitting piece by former Jalop Davey Johnson covers one of the first two “RWB” cars to be built in the United States. Go read it if you care; if not, here’s the important passage.

In the past couple of years, Nakai-san’s Rauh-Welt Begriff (literally “rough-world concept”) 911s have gone from in-the-know whisper cult status to commanding respect and lustworthy drools from Porschephiles and tuner kids alike. Scotto’s always been a cat excited by new forms—the man was at the vanguard of the hi-riser movement—but he’s always wanted a Porsche. More specifically, a white 964 turbo with a Lobster Red interior, a classic case of the-car-one-drooled-over-as-a-kid made flesh. Meanwhile, he’d been as captivated as anyone with RWB’s cars during his stint at 0-60 Magazine.

The rest of the story unwinds as so: guy buys Porsche 964 Turbo and has Japanese guy hack out some hideous-looking bodywork, drop that bitch into the weeds, and basically turn what was a very complete and satisfying performance car into a rolling caricature. The car is then taken to SEMA so the tribe of mildly retarded sideways-ballcap mooks who clutter this country’s unemployment lists and convenience-store parking lots can crown Scotto as their king.

According to the never-wrong Wikipedia, Porsche built a total of 3,660 Porsche 965 Turbos. That’s not vanishingly rare, but neither is it 1965 Mustang or 2011 Camry volume. Aircooled 911s don’t seem rare, but they are. We are fast approaching the day when there will be more Cayennes on the road than aircooled Porsches of all kinds. A 1991 Porsche Turbo has already survived twenty years. My suggestion is that at that point, the owners of these cars should consider themselves caretakers, not nouveau-riche toolbags with a license to deface. These cars will all have future owners, if we don’t destroy them.

The good news? RWB’s “expertise” runs pretty shallow. Akira Nakai isn’t running Rinspeed or Ruf. He probably doesn’t understand the cars well enough to make major changes on them. Twenty years from now, a future owner of this car will be able to restore the 965 back to stock. Sure, it will cost money, particularly in the rear quarter-panels (and the suspension, which will almost certainly be ruined by the ridiculous wheels) but it will be possible.

It’s bad enough that Porsche’s legacy is under such consistent attack by Porsche itself; to have people like this RWB dude take perfectly decent, streetable classic Porsches and turn them into pallid parodies of race cars that never really existed — well, that’s just tragic. In the long run, everybody wants to see original, period-correct cars. Owners of aircooled Porsches should be conscious of their obligation to future generations. The enthusiasts of the future may not know what a proper short-wheelbase 911 looks like, or a ’79 SC, or a ’95 Turbo, unless you keep yours the way it was meant to be. If you are absolutely compelled to race an old car, go ahead — but start with a basketcase so you’re not taking a nice car off the street.

These “RWB” cars are just as ridiculous as all the “stance” garbage out there, but in this case the victims aren’t thousand-dollar Jettas or Marysville-built Accords. They are limited-production automobiles, built in small quantities under regulatory and business conditions which will never exist again. They’re precious to future generations and they should be left alone.

If you disagree… well, I hear Vanilla Ice’s Gemballa is up for sale. Just don’t expect much in the way of warranty service, okay?
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...one-out-there/

Still love their style though...
Old 11-27-2011, 02:05 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by boxcarracer
Here's an interesting opinion about RWB
...The enthusiasts of the future may not know what a proper short-wheelbase 911 looks like, or a ’79 SC, or a ’95 Turbo, unless you keep yours the way it was meant to be...
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...one-out-there/

Still love their style though...
'95 Turbo?
Old 11-27-2011, 11:37 AM
ploglet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

All the RWB cars are just nuts. Not for everyone but definitely amazing to look at and listen to.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:52 PM
kilodawg
Racer

That's a great read. If these cars are tuned for the track with specific performance modifications that's one thing but if it's purely for show I tend to buy in to the authors sentiment. I remember when the longhood owners were converting their cars to the impact bumper look since at the time that was the fad of the day. That didn't pan out very well in retrospect either. I don't deny that the look is intriguing but if it's all poseur then better to stick to Civics and Accords.

Of course being a slantnose owner I realize I could open myself up to charges of hypocrisy but there is a subtle difference...
Old 11-27-2011, 01:40 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Originally Posted by kilodawg

Of course being a slantnose owner I realize I could open myself up to charges of hypocrisy but there is a subtle difference...
That's a really good point. I still have a black slant nose poster I had on my wall when I was 12 years old. I loved that car then as much as I do today. Gemballa and Strosek took too much away from the over all look of the cars. Rauh Welt seems to be in line with what a lot of people have been doing to track cars before they came to light.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:45 AM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The blauth rant on 'thetruthaboutcars' was very difficult to read.
I think the best reply is from the owner of RWB-USA when he wrote this;
http://fatlace.com/cars/rwb-pandora-one/#comments

It begins with, '... you really shouldn’t believe everything you read or hear on the interwebs until you hear it from the person (him)self…'
Old 11-28-2011, 01:05 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dave W.
The blauth rant on 'thetruthaboutcars' was very difficult to read.
Really? I didn't find it particularly so.

That said, I love the cars! Just won't find me doing the same to mine.

Quick Reply: Rauh Welt Idlers video