Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

New project for me, yet another 993 RS Clone for you :-(

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 09:12 PM
ofd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Cupcar;8999514]Update. Got tired of suspension stuff, so moved on to some other projects.

Here I have removed radio, airbags and airbag dash. Euro RS trim pieces fit nicely to replace airbag bottom and I found the holes are already drilled. It looks like I can install an ashtray even. Ashtray ordered, we will see. Otherwise a bracket for center piece will have to be made. Plan is RS interior carpet and door panels with Recaro buckets.
"END QUOTE "

Love this thread. I did a Porsche motorsports Lsd and a full RS brake kit this spring and noticed a huge improvement in braking, the car feels really flat front to rear, not sure what made the biggest difference but togeather the LSD and the RS brakes are great
What is the best place to buy RS carpet?

Cheers,
Geoff
Old 11-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

[quote=ofd;8999878]
Originally Posted by Cupcar
Update. Got tired of suspension stuff, so moved on to some other projects.

Here I have removed radio, airbags and airbag dash. Euro RS trim pieces fit nicely to replace airbag bottom and I found the holes are already drilled. It looks like I can install an ashtray even. Ashtray ordered, we will see. Otherwise a bracket for center piece will have to be made. Plan is RS interior carpet and door panels with Recaro buckets.
"END QUOTE "

Love this thread. I did a Porsche motorsports Lsd and a full RS brake kit this spring and noticed a huge improvement in braking, the car feels really flat front to rear, not sure what made the biggest difference but togeather the LSD and the RS brakes are great
What is the best place to buy RS carpet?

Cheers,
Geoff
I have a G50/32 gearbox I bought new a few years ago and that is going into my car.

I am planning on getting the carpet from www.appbiz.com, you have to ask them for "Porsche Sliverknit" carpet which is not shown on their site.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:31 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
i'd rephrase that, bias is fixed by the system parameters, but ideal bias changes dynamicly due to both environmental factors and vehicle dynamics
Well said, and why the F1 boys are always changing their brake balance, sometimes between corners to influence the handling of the car.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

This morning's desk project was to modify the turn signal switch by removing the cruise control lever. The cruise lever is molded onto the main body of the turn signal switch as an add on to the original 911 design and is easily snipped off with some flush cut pliers and then dressing area with a file.

I snapped in the horn ground needed for a MOMO wheel and fitted the needed RS clam shells around the switch.

Since the headlight washers are removed from car, I ordered the correct logo for the right hand lever to delete this.

Now ready for a MOMO 07 that is in shipment.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

As of this weekend I have removed all the stuff in the photo. What a load of junk, radio, airbags, padding, seat belts. Here are some random weights of the stuff in pounds:

Passenger airbag 6.6
Radio 3.2
Airbag lower dash 12.4
Steering wheel with airbag 7.6
Seats 108.8
Rear padding, upholstery and belts 13.6
Rear seat backs 10.2
Door panels the pair 22.8
Seat pans and misc stuff 5.2

Carpet is still in car along with upholstery below rear quarter windows.

All to be replaced with RS lower dash, RS door panels, RS carpet, Momo 07 steering wheel, RS radio block off plate, RS shift boot and Recaro Profi XL seats. I project it will all be a net saving of ~ 175 pounds in the end.

Man is that carpet stuck down. What a god awful project to remove that it will be. Aside: No wonder my 964 USA Cup had the carpet barely glued in, it was falling out when I took delivery of a new car. Reason: Andial didn't want to deal with a glued in carpet when they converted the car to a racing Cup car.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:21 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now ready for a MOMO 07 that is in shipment.
Now why didn't you get the big boy wheel

[/rub-in]
Old 11-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bart1
Now why didn't you get the big boy wheel

[/rub-in]
Is that an 07 from Porsche motorsport with Porsche engraved in it? I had one
in my Cup and decided to save the money this time around.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:20 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

The weight of the electric seats is a real eye-opener, isn't it? Just that and the bits and pieces from the rear seats add up to 138lbs ... what's the weight savings going to RS door panels from the heavy 12lb/ea stock units?
Old 11-07-2011, 04:22 PM
bart1
Race Car

Is that an 07 from Porsche motorsport with Porsche engraved in it? I had one
in my Cup and decided to save the money this time around.
Yessir. Yeah, it's kinda silly, but I got a deal on it and figured I could hold on to it a while and not lose any money. Actually, I got a great deal on it - not a lot more than the regular 07 and hub.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:24 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

I swung by and saw the RS Clone in person this weekend. What a beautiful car! The level of detail is mind boggling and it was obviously apparent that CupCar is really talented. The cleanliness of everything was really spectacular. I need to reconsider my whole cleaning regimine and buy some more WD-40.

I dragged my wife along too and the whole ride home in the car went something like this.
"Did you see the _____, did you like that? Can I get one"
"No."
Okay, how about if we just____"
"No"
"Well, what about those ____, I could make one of those?"
"No"

Very Very Cool. I can't wait to see it run, especially when the new engine is in!
Old 11-07-2011, 06:18 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am interested in your process of cleaning off the cosmoline etc. you mentioned using WD-40, but what steps do you take.....

My car will be coming apart this winter (engine out etc) and I want to do a complete refresh of all the suspension so lots of cleaning.....
Old 11-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trophy
I am interested in your process of cleaning off the cosmoline etc. you mentioned using WD-40, but what steps do you take.....
I read that WD40 was good for cleaning NOS military rifles that had been stored with cosmoline, so I tried WD40 on the chassis itself.

Buy a gallon of WD40 and the refillable sprayer they make if you can. Spray a soaking of the WD40 on the area of interest, even wiring etc., and let it soak in overnight if you can. My car was on my lift with no urgency to move ahead so I sprayed things down, let it soak and then came back reapplied over a couple of days.

The dirt and cosmoline will then loosen up by brushing with a stiff brush (I use oversize tooth brush type brushes from Harbor Freight) and then wipe it clean with a degreaser like Grease Eater (or Simple Green) in a concentrated mix of around 50% and an old terry towel. Do this a few times and finally wipe down with a microfiber towel (Costco) and a citrus cleaner like P21S.

I dismantled the suspension since I was rebuilding it anyway and cleaned those parts in my solvent tank with brushes and a compressed air dry. Even here I found a pre-soak with WD-40 to help the solvent very useful.

My car has very little corrosion, so the parts came out looking very nice. For the little corrosion I dealt with I used some careful wire brushing with soft rotary brushes and an electric die grinder.

That's it, plus a lot of elbow grease too. I'm sure others have their ways, particularly if the suspension is left on the car.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bart1
Yessir. Yeah, it's kinda silly, but I got a deal on it and figured I could hold on to it a while and not lose any money. Actually, I got a great deal on it - not a lot more than the regular 07 and hub.
If that deal comes around again, let me know!!!

The best deal I could find was $450 on the Porsche part, I paid less than 1/2 that for the stock 07 and hub.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chaoscreature
I swung by and saw the RS Clone in person this weekend. What a beautiful car! The level of detail is mind boggling and it was obviously apparent that CupCar is really talented. The cleanliness of everything was really spectacular. I need to reconsider my whole cleaning regimine and buy some more WD-40.

I dragged my wife along too and the whole ride home in the car went something like this.
"Did you see the _____, did you like that? Can I get one"
"No."
Okay, how about if we just____"
"No"
"Well, what about those ____, I could make one of those?"
"No"

Very Very Cool. I can't wait to see it run, especially when the new engine is in!
Thanks for the complements, but regarding your wife, I thought she was over the top patient with us. And, (big AND) who else here has a wife that goes out and buys a 993 for him and surprises him with it ...
Old 11-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPP
The weight of the electric seats is a real eye-opener, isn't it? Just that and the bits and pieces from the rear seats add up to 138lbs ... what's the weight savings going to RS door panels from the heavy 12lb/ea stock units?
Dunno yet.

Quick Reply: New project for me, yet another 993 RS Clone for you :-(