BLT4SPD
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exceptional! Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-31-2011, 01:15 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Subscribed, looking forward to seeing this one progress.....
Old 10-31-2011, 03:04 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

bob, now i'm going to have to start on a new project

Soon...
Old 10-31-2011, 03:35 PM
911ist
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

amazing project and GT3 engine? WOW!
Old 10-31-2011, 06:42 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Wow!! Subscribed!!
Old 10-31-2011, 10:58 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 212 Posts

Nice!!
Old 11-01-2011, 12:03 AM
camlob
Pro

Super subscribed!! Ha..ha...I love it when people use original RS parts.

I have some questions. Why did you change the steering rack? Does the RS come with a different rack? Is that a RS crossmember(pc where the control arms bolt on to)?
Old 11-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by camlob

I have some questions. Why did you change the steering rack? Does the RS come with a different rack? Is that a RS crossmember(pc where the control arms bolt on to)?
Steering specs

No, that's a stock 2wd 993 vac booster and side member, the RS used the same electro-hyd booster and side members as a stock C4, the steering rack brace was first used on RS but all 993 eventually had them
Old 11-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by camlob

Bill answered the detail questions, the personal question though:

The main reason I went to manual was simplicity, I hate extra lines and pumps, and I was familiar with the system since the same steering rack was used in my 964 Cup and it was fine for me.

I thought about going to a 997 Cup electric pump for the steering rack, but in the end that was more expensive than just buying a new rack and dispensing with power (not to mention easier and lighter) - I got the last RS rack Porsche had.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:01 PM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Default What to do about hydraulic assisted brakes?

I was told the best 993 to make a clone RS out of was a c4 and go back to two wheel drive.I have done mine with a 96' c2.I finally bit the bullet and bought a G50/32 from Sonnen Porsche last week.There was one on the shelf in Germany.With core I spent $14,227.00 delevered to my home in CT.I have a perfect g50/20 with opt.220 for sale if anyone is interested.I have found that putting big red brakes on the car without the hydraulic assist is a bad idea.You can not engage the roters the way they were designed to work.How are you going to boost your brake upgrade?Being that you just started all I can say is good luck and have your checkbook handy.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by 77'3.6vram
I was told the best 993 to make a clone RS out of was a c4 and go back to two wheel drive.I have done mine with a 96' c2.I finally bit the bullet and bought a G50/32 from Sonnen Porsche last week.There was one on the shelf in Germany.With core I spent $14,227.00 delevered to my home in CT.I have a perfect g50/20 with opt.220 for sale if anyone is interested.I have found that putting big red brakes on the car without the hydraulic assist is a bad idea.You can not engage the roters the way they were designed to work.How are you going to boost your brake upgrade?Being that you just started all I can say is good luck and have your checkbook handy.
Good choice on the g50/32

odd perspective on RS brakes in a 2wd chassis, the 23.8mm m/c is adequate if not the best choice for RS brakes, you can certainly fully engage ABS at either end, it depends on the pads you use

I'm unsure what rear rotor and caliper and pad Bob intends to use but it should be fine w/ either stock 2wd rears or RS rear. I don't like tt rear on 2wd though
Old 11-02-2011, 12:01 AM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Bill ,why don't you like the Turbo rear brakes.I feel as if the bigger calipers are not as responsive(do not bite as well)on the non-boosted 2wd car.Maybe I am lazy but I feel as if I have to put too much force on the brakes to get them to respond.Is there a problem with my setup?Thanks-Michael
Old 11-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

You are correct if one wants to copy an RS braking system exactly, and I considered a C4 initially for this. However, if one uses a C4 chassis, then one is subjected to the draconian potential maintenance costs if any of the electro-hydraulic boost system components fail; the pressure pump, master cylinder or booster are all well over $1000 each as you know, not to mention that if one is going to go the full RS conversion route, both the booster and master cylinder have to be changed to R$ parts on a C4 anyway.

The RS system is heavy with all this equipment and bigger rear discs and calipers.

At the front the calipers I am using are 928 GTS front calipers (which are identical to RS "Big Red" in size) that have been flipped to work in a 911 chassis, they match the color and Porsche font of the stock C2 rear caliper. Both the RS and GTS caliper have the identical piston sizes as a stock C2, so there will be no change here in hydraulic force ratio to the master cylinder. The mechanical force ratio of the 322 versus the 304 mm disc is +7.2%; it is not exactly related to radius since the Big Red pad is closer to the disc center.

At the rear I plan to use stock C2 brakes with the backing plates removed.

So the only difference from a stock C2 braking system will be a slight increase in brake torque distribution forward do to the the larger front discs; the hydraulic ratios will all stay the same. I plan to switch to 60 BAR proportioning valves from a Turbo to shift brake torque toward the rear.

This system I will have when will be identical in thermal capacity - same rotor sizes, piston sizes and pad sizes - to the one I had on my 964 Cup and this was plenty adequate for my use.

Cheap, light and effective, and in my experience big enough.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:32 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Bill ,why don't you like the Turbo rear brakes.I feel as if the bigger calipers are not as responsive(do not bite as well)on the non-boosted 2wd car.Maybe I am lazy but I feel as if I have to put too much force on the brakes to get them to respond.Is there a problem with my setup?Thanks-Michael
Rear Turbo and RS brakes are same size calipers, but with different piston sizes.

The Turbo pistons are actually smaller than a stock C2 piston while the RS has pistons that are larger than a stock C2.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:45 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
What a great thread!! Well done!! Keep the pictures coming!!
Agree! Thanks Bob.

Quick Reply: New project for me, yet another 993 RS Clone for you :-(