Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Mobile V-Twin Oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

the vtwin or motul if you want to change it frequently.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:27 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Silly me, of course this causes a "discussion"...

Still not sure what to do.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:14 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J

Silly me, of course this causes a "discussion"...

Still not sure what to do.
Hi Mike, I took Kevin's recommendation for the V-Twin over a year ago, and have been very-very pleased with the results.

I purchased my Turbo almost 2 years ago from a Rennlister. Since November 2009, I have done over 22,000 miles and just had my 5th oil change done on Friday (10/28). For my first oil change I used Mobil 15W50 (gold cap. extended perf., since discontinued) and the last 4 were V-Twin. As Quadcammer stated, I have done UOA's on every oil change.

I'll have the UOA (Blackstone Labs) from Friday's oil change by the end of this week. I'll start a new thread on the 993 Turbo forum, soon after, and post my report showing all 5 tests. You'll clearly see how my wear metals have been cut in half during my ownership.

If you have any questions, send me a PM with your e-mail address, and I'll send you my most recent UOA (May 2011) from about 6,000 miles ago.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:58 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Mike, I assume you read these old posts:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...highlight=twin

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...highlight=twin
Old 10-30-2011, 01:08 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

The problem is you cannot really tell unless you tear the engine down - I think just about any oil will still have our engines running fine after 20K miles - its the 50K miles, or 100K miles that it makes a difference, and the condition of the bearings etc. when its eventually torn down.

Cheers,
Mike
Exactly Mike!

You ought to read all the oil threads on motorcycle forums; they're worse than car forums.

I have to chuckle at many of the conclusions. The "this oil is soooo much more slipppery than the other"...and they have that 100% increase in gas mileage to prove it. When is the last time anyone experienced an oil related engine failure or how many have actually worn out their engines.

Mobil did run two BMW 325s to one-million miles and disassembled them after. Problem is, how many cold starts did they experience.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:14 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

The current recommendation on the 993 Turbo forum is using Mobil V-Twin 20w50 on the Turbos.

Cheers,
Mike
Mike, have you read Amsoil's white paper, "A Study of Motorcycle Oils"?

Within it is Mobil V-Twin 20W-50.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:52 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

The best part about using the V-Twin, is I get the "low V" from the Harley guys/gals when out cruising on my weekend fun-runs.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:42 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Opnions become strong in the absence of facts as most 993 owners don't tear down their engines and lets face it, for a street driven 993 that is properly cared for is there anyone who has experienced an "oil related engine failure" as they say in the fear mongering advertisements?

Andy
Old 01-21-2016, 03:50 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Mike, have you read Amsoil's white paper, "A Study of Motorcycle Oils"?

Within it is Mobil V-Twin 20W-50.
Yes, i did, its one of the reasons i use it, as well as evidence of wear metals going done over the last four years (after i bought the turbo) through oil analysis. Good enough for me! 😄
Old 01-21-2016, 04:01 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I am interested in the "long game" and based my decision to use v-twin in my turbo after seeing much reduced metals in my oil measured by Blackstone after a few oil changes. I have torn down 993 engines, and have seen the typical wear patterns including layshaft bearing wear, and higher metal content in the oil would indicate that wear can be happening. The reduction in metals from when i bought the Turbo over a few oil changes was dramatic, and the PO used standard Mobil synthetics, not vtwin. That is enough empirical evidence for me to make that choice. However, it does not mean other oils like Motul etc are not even better, but i do not have the years to test those options.

I would rather not find scored bearings or damage on my camshafts when i do rebuild my engines - i am not just trying to avoid failure situations.

Cheers

Mike

Originally Posted by pp000830
Opnions become strong in the absence of facts as most 993 owners don't tear down their engines and lets face it, for a street driven 993 that is properly cared for is there anyone who has experienced an "oil related engine failure" as they say in the fear mongering advertisements?

Andy
Old 01-21-2016, 09:09 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Mike, are you saying you still using the V-Twin and found in previous analisys reduced wear or less metals in the oil?.... which is a good thing at the end.

I use the V-Twin 20W50 in my 993tt but I really don't use much the car. I was debating my self if use the same in my C2 but at the end I opted for the Redline 10W60. Maybe is a tad thick!?
Old 01-21-2016, 09:35 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

When I get home will publish some numbers but that is exactly it - saw wear metals go down. I am not the only one, it was posted previously in this thread. Its hard evidence. 😄

Originally Posted by DiegoR
Mike, are you saying you still using the V-Twin and found in previous analisys reduced wear or less metals in the oil?.... which is a good thing at the end.

I use the V-Twin 20W50 in my 993tt but I really don't use much the car. I was debating my self if use the same in my C2 but at the end I opted for the Redline 10W60. Maybe is a tad thick!?
Old 01-22-2016, 10:18 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Mike, where do you find v-twin in YVR? Cannot find it in YYC at all. Hope it's not an only in BC thing like Chevron 94.

Also, have you heard of any issues with v-twin higher zddp levels causing problems with catalytic converters?
Old 01-22-2016, 12:00 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Brian,

Being close to the border, I buy all my parts in the US, so never looked for a source in Canada. When a sale is on (like Pep Boys) I stock up so I have plenty for now. It looks like you are in Calgary, that is a disadvantage because you are not close to the border,and would need to pay the shipping and stupid brokerage fees those idiots at UPS etc. charge.

I seem to remember that some of the Walmarts will carry a few bottles in the motorcycle section.

As far as cats go, I am not running any the moment (due to my DIY fabricated 3" system), but have no fears running them with VTwin - have not seen any reports on the list in the Turbo forums that cats are failing.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-22-2016, 12:13 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Rats. My son is at UVic so I was hoping I could tell him where to pick up a case or two for me. Not practical for him to go cross border unfortunately, too busy partying - whups, I mean studying

Anyway thx for response
Cheers/bc

Quick Reply: Mobile V-Twin Oil