Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

9m93RS-R or 9m93GT2 Evo LHD Clubsport? Shell done already.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 11:32 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trophy

The roll cage you install, is it a copy of the Mater cage from the 993RSCS / 993RSR / 993GT2Evo ?
..and to add to this question, do you prefab the parts on a jig or roll'em as you go?

Meaning, can you sell/ship the components before welding?
Old 10-29-2011, 07:04 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Ok, then my vote is an evo GT2 in Continental Orange, real Speedlines with Orange calipers, black interior with Orange seat inserts, stitching, belts and pulls ... You know ... something subtle.... (in bed)

OK, one vote for the jellybean.

(We like jellybeans. )
Old 10-29-2011, 07:10 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by trophy
Hey Colin, Cannot wait to see this one grow and develop.

The roll cage you install, is it a copy of the Mater cage from the 993RSCS / 993RSR / 993GT2Evo ?
Yes, pretty much aside from a better quality of fit and our material choice. We have them made on a CNC bender to our specification, then we hand tweek the bends and machine the saddle joints on our vertical mill on assembly to get an exact fit into the individual car.

We've never considered selling them as a kit because of the weight to ship and apparent difficulty people have to get cage kits to fit correctly....
Old 10-29-2011, 10:18 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Colin, I've been looking at pictures of factory RSR's, RSCS's and GT2's and I have questions about the tails because some NA cars have tails with the forward facing side air inlets (like your RSCS ...) and some do not ... and some have logo's on the outer wing surface like 'GT' and '3.8' and some are smooth with no insignia. What came out of the factory on each model?
Old 10-30-2011, 05:13 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

OK JP, here's a quick lesson in all that is RS:

First up is a stock 993RS in lightweight specification with standard spoilers.
Attached Images    
Old 10-30-2011, 05:16 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Next up is the 993RS Clubsport which comes with next to no interior trim (door panels only) & fully welded cage and of course the CS spoiler. Note the shape and angle of the spoiler air intakes.

(I think you will recognise this one)
Attached Images     
Old 10-30-2011, 05:27 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

So other than the wheel-arch flares what is different between an RSR and the RSCS above (which I absolutely love).
Old 10-30-2011, 05:32 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Next one is the 993RS Cup & Supercup.

Essentially this is a 993RS CS with more radical suspension but optically it is like the CS with the same front & rear spoilers and black plastic side skirts:
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2011, 05:42 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Next up is another factory production car, this time a customer's 993GT2 Evo Clubsport.

Note how the GT2 rear wing is a one-piece item (no separate engine lid), has the GT logos on the cover plates and a how the air scoops are a completely different shape to the RS CS.
Attached Images      
Old 10-30-2011, 05:59 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Then there is the factory 993RS-R, which to all intents looks exactly like a GT2 but with the RS CS spoiler, however there is a subtle difference. The RS-R shell is based around a standard narrow body shell and the RS-R skirts are polyurethane covers for the narrow sills.

This example is one that is currently for sale at Freisinger for 238,000 euros and apparently has been fully restored to factory condition.
Attached Images     
Old 10-30-2011, 06:20 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Finally we have the 9m93RS-R which we build from a widebody shell (or narrow shell with new sills, kidney bowls & turbo quarters) and fit the 993RS CS spoiler.....
Old 10-30-2011, 06:36 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

^^^ Ok, now I GET it .. Is that silver GT2 for sale??
Very helpful to see the RSCS and GT2 tails together .. now the air inlets look substantially different shape and angle to the rear quarter. I also noticed in some other pictures I've been looking through, that the air inlets of the GT2 and RSR/RSCS spoilers apear to exit out the bottom of the spoiler sides onto the engine lid surface ... what's going on there? Is it to divert some flow off the bottom surfaces of the horizontal and vertical winglets to reduce lift? And, is the front bumper unique? It appears that it would have to transition more outboard to mate up with the front wing extensions but maybe the stock NB bumper is flexible enough to work?

Also, I read that the GT2 'Evo' developed over 600 hp ... is that a true figure? I'm assuming that is for a 'track' engine .. not a streetable powerplant .. ?
Old 10-30-2011, 08:21 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

No, the GT2 is the last road going GT2 Evo Clubsport ever made and is definitely not for sale (at any price). The roadgoing Evos had a standard GT2 engine which was rated at 430hp and had perfect road manners. The track performance was not bad either....

At speed there is positive pressure on top of the engine lid as well as the scoops, so the CS and GT2spoilers feed all the scoop air into the engine bay to keep the engine running cooler. The internal design of the scoop is pretty rudimentary so there are no ram air effects to speak of (before you ask).
Old 10-30-2011, 09:30 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NineMeister
No, the GT2 is the last road going GT2 Evo Clubsport ever made and is definitely not for sale (at any price). The roadgoing Evos had a standard GT2 engine which was rated at 430hp and had perfect road manners. The track performance was not bad either....

At speed there is positive pressure on top of the engine lid as well as the scoops, so the CS and GT2spoilers feed all the scoop air into the engine bay to keep the engine running cooler. The internal design of the scoop is pretty rudimentary so there are no ram air effects to speak of (before you ask).
Ha. You know me only too well .... So, if it's not for sale .... what about a ride? Sir ... can I have a ride??

And the bumpers ... the more I look at them the more I think they are just stock factory bumpers and the transitions just 'happen' because of the way the factory designed the fender extensions to follow the standard curve transitions as the exit they top extended arch both fore and aft ... am I right?
Old 10-30-2011, 09:37 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
The roadgoing Evos had a standard GT2 engine which was rated at 430hp and had perfect road manners. The track performance was not bad either....
Colin, I believe the roadgoing 993 GT2 EVO (98 model year only with 21 built from what I've read), "comfort" or CS, left the factory with a 450BHP rating. The 430BHP models were in the earlier cars.

Quick Reply: 9m93RS-R or 9m93GT2 Evo LHD Clubsport? Shell done already.