Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

front lower control arm bushings

Old 10-27-2011, 02:16 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
I think you will find the hammer will be necessary for the bushing that is in two parts, unless you cut off the flange of one of the bushing halves.
Correct...step 3 in the above link to the Installation Instructions.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Funny, a set of drifts for this would be a nice product for front and rear bushings. When I mentioned this to Carey Eisenlore he seemed not interested; Elephant makes a set, but only markets them with their "monoball" kit for the front, they will sell them separately.

http://www.elephantracing.com/suspen...-monoballs.htm
Old 10-27-2011, 02:38 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Funny, a set of drifts for this would be a nice product for front and rear bushings.
They are easy enough to turn on a lathe. All one needs are the exact dimensions which I will have when I need to do my bushings.

Maybe someone who has the numbers can make a set and then they can be shipped to whoever needs them.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:47 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

on using a press,
I brought my rear arms to the local porsche dealer, they have a big press and different sized drifts for pressing out the old bushings and pressing in the new.
I just walked into the service area and ask if someone had time to do it. no charge, no hassles.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:54 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a bunch of drifts including the ones for bearings, for back side support I always use large 3/4" or 1" drive sockets, these work a treat.

I will be doing a fellow rennlisters in the spring, as I now have a press at home was wondering if it can be done... Looks much easier than when I did my own.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

****, these threads remind me that I need to start tackling the issue of suspension bushes...
(~60K car and feels pretty good but at least some, if not all of the bushes must be pretty "mushy")

I think I'll start with Walrod's stuff or Elephant's Bill is showing and then start moving to one with others.

Oh, and can mods please (with Bill's approval) change Bill's "addict" status to "suspension bushings/joints guru" or something?
Old 10-28-2011, 10:19 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

When I wrote the bushing install DIY, I tried to focus on an outline using only basic hand tools that are typically found in an avid DIY'ers garage. I wonder if I should add to the DIY from a less practical but perhaps more effective or efficient point of view?

Here are a few images of pressing the fwd bushing out.

I see the East Coast cars typically require 4-5 more tons of force to get to move. The set I did last night took around 9 tons before the bushings started moving.

The press tools I made are from steel and ally. The male tool is steel since I have worn out so many aluminum versions. I still deform the steel and have to true it back up from time to time. The female tool is alumimum and seems to be holding up. I'll have to get a few images of the press tool I made for the aft bushings.
Attached Images   
Old 10-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

It should be noted that a 12 ton press can be had from Harbor Freight that works just fine for this and can be had for ~ $100 with a 20% discount coupon. http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-...ess-33497.html

I am amazed at how often I use a press for wheel bearings, etc.

Internal corrosion does seem a big factor in bearing retention.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:57 PM
bindaham
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My apologies for resurrecting an old thread but I wonder if the bushings for the front & rear lower control arms are identical.

Regards,

Salah
Old 04-17-2015, 10:30 AM
bindaham
AutoX

Anyone!
Old 04-17-2015, 10:49 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Originally Posted by berni29
. That is a fact
You should never say this even if its true, we are subject to a tough community here on Rennlist. I've gotten the old-smack down from this in the past.

I suspect for most the bushing change is a once in the life of the car item and the old ones were not at their best so any replacement type will produce a qualitative improvement in handling, so most opinions are just that as they have no basis for comparison. My decision, when the time comes, is what solution is similar to the ones that came on the car as they have lasted a long time and provide a known level of isolation from vibration. For the guys who race cars and actually have used more than one type of bushing my need is a little different than theirs. Similar to the PSS10 & M030 vs H&R Heavy Duty coilover kit. Or god forbid a discussion of motor oil. By the way I never figured out what a motor needs oil for anyway as unlike an engine a motor runs on electricity and has no place to put it in, go figure?

Andy ;-)
Old 04-17-2015, 11:49 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bindaham
My apologies for resurrecting an old thread but I wonder if the bushings for the front & rear lower control arms are identical.

Regards,

Salah
The front LCA's have two different sized bushings each. Neither of those are the same as any of the rear LCA, trailing leg bushes, or control arm links in the rear. The 3 control arm links and trailing leg of REAR LCA bushes, are the same.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:50 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
When I wrote the bushing install DIY, I tried to focus on an outline using only basic hand tools that are typically found in an avid DIY'ers garage. I wonder if I should add to the DIY from a less practical but perhaps more effective or efficient point of view?

Here are a few images of pressing the fwd bushing out.

I see the East Coast cars typically require 4-5 more tons of force to get to move. The set I did last night took around 9 tons before the bushings started moving.

The press tools I made are from steel and ally. The male tool is steel since I have worn out so many aluminum versions. I still deform the steel and have to true it back up from time to time. The female tool is alumimum and seems to be holding up. I'll have to get a few images of the press tool I made for the aft bushings.
incredible!!!
and to think i actually tried (and failed) to attempt this with a regular run of the mill press. no wonder i messed it up the first time
Old 04-17-2015, 03:43 PM
bindaham
AutoX

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
The front LCA's have two different sized bushings each. Neither of those are the same as any of the rear LCA, trailing leg bushes, or control arm links in the rear.
Thanks much for the info. I'm trying to order bushings for the rear LCA from a certain site (named after an animal with a long trunk. I'm not sure about the forum's policy on naming names ) but it seems that there isn't individual bushings but a kit must be purchased which would leave me with extra bushings that I don't need.

I would a appreciate an alternative if there's one to the aforementioned site.

Regards,

Salah
Old 04-17-2015, 04:13 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jugvrd
I plan to have the garag do it - i wish i could do i t just dont have much time (i live in switzerland currently). Which rubber bushings do you recommend and where to get them?
We might have what you're looking for here in our parts catalog.

-Luccia
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: front lower control arm bushings