Sponsored by:

I Need Some Tire Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 12:03 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Can anyone explain why none of the autocross people ever use anything by Continental? I can. Continental has not made a good tire in as long as I remember (i.e. the last 25+ years). It was "ContiSport 2 is so much better thank ContiSport. Then it was "3 better than 2". Now it's DW. And, again, none of the people who need street tires to go fast actually use them. Eh?

On a TireRack note. It's a good company. Heck, it's an excellent company that I've been using for 20 years. But... I have not bought from them in the last 2 years. Why? I think they are not what they used to be. My last two orders resulted in a set of tires that was manufactured 4 years prior (Kumho V710) and a cancelletaion of another set after confirming they were in stock (Bridgestone RE-10). At which point I switch almost completely to Discount Tire Direct. Which is also excellent, sometimes slightly cheaper due to free (included) shipping and has not pulled any of the tricks on me yet that TireRack has. Just sayin'.

Finally, my though is this. When we recommend tires to each other it's really useful to say which tires you are switching from and what you actually use it for. I assume that none of my suggestions would be appreciated by someone who's looking for comfort, longevity or quietness, for example.

Good points Mike; but, as you said in your post, comfort, longevity, and quietness are probably not the parameters that autocrossers care about. That's why I have the PS2's on my 993 right now......they handle better than the Conti's when you push the car hard. But, the original poster was looking for a tire for his DD that was quiet, long lasting, and inexpensive. And, he noted that he did not drive his P-car in a "spirited" fashion. My comments were meant in that context.

I did learn something from your post, though. I don't ever remember checking for the mfg date on any tires I buy. Frankly don't know what to look for there! So, how do I decipher the tires? And, has this been a big issue with new tires?

Also, one poster noted that Tire Rack has trouble getting the Conti Extremes....might have something to do with the fact that TR has them rated as the best tire in that category.......and at a much lower price than a lot of the close competition.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:14 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Ernie, that's why I advocate full disclosure by anyone asking for tire recommendations:

1. What's important? Absolute stick or longevity? These are mutually exclusive (damn laws of physics).
2. Do you care about dry or wet or both?
3. Do you care about comfort, softness, noise?

A lot of us, myself included, often overestimate what we need and what we're willing to live with. I just put LPPMs on my daily 993 cab and I'm not sure it's the right thing, for example. Sounded like a good idea, though (pun intended).

PS. Tire age is not generally an issue while buying form a reputable dealer like TireRack. My case was extreme - 13" Kumho race rubber. They only had 2005 built tires. I bought them in 2009 and was blown away by the age. They assured me that it's not a problem. But the tires developed a pretty deep and scary looking crack after the first heat cycles. They again assured me that it's superficial and they were probably right but the tires did not stick all that great. The next set I got from them was the same age. It also cracked the same way across the thread. And also did not stick great. To TireRack's credit after I called them initially they put a disclaimer on their page that the newest production tires available is from 2005. The disclaimer (and the tires) are still there. See Kumho V710 in 13" size to check it out.

Now, how does one read tire age. On one side of the tire there is an oval DOT mark that shows 4 numbers like 4909. The first two are the week the tires are made, the second are the year. So 4909 would mean 49th week of 2009 or December 2009. as I've mentioned, even 2-3 years old is not a big issue for street tires if they were not exposed to the sun (UV dries and cracks rubber). You can see pics of the codes here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11
Old 10-26-2011, 02:07 AM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonCT
Actually the new Conti ExtremeContact DW and DWS are perhaps the best tires out there right now in their classification. Over a year ago when they were introduced, I got a set of the DWS (Dry / wet / snow) for my E46 330i. Honestly amazing tires. Near PS2 (previous summer favorite) dry performance, better wet performance... and they work well in the snow. The new WunderTire. Heard many good things about the DW and based on my DWS experience, I tried to get a set in 225/285. No go - sold out, hard to get, etc.

Before the DWS I too avoided Conti like the plague... Just take a look at the test reports on TireRack - look at the stats and compare them with your favorite non Conti tire. Really is eye-opening.
I just ordered a set of Conti ExtremeContact DWS from Tire Rack. After driving over 45K on Conti Sport Contact2's, sounds like this will be a great upgrade for my 993 DD.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:02 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just put another set of Conti DWS on my son's Jetta and it literally transformed the car. While the Pilot Sport Exalto's only had 39k on them, they were harsh, tramlined, and already brittle (cracked compound, date stamped 0806). The DWS from Tire Rack and installed at my local Goodyear were stamped 2111, so just a few months old (fresh rubber). Very comfortable ride, no wheel spin (it's a 2006 2.0T, so the great turbo engine and 6-speed manual from the Audis / GTIs / GLIs), etc.

My 330i now has about 18k miles on the DWS and I've really enjoyed them over the last 18 months.

Quick Reply: I Need Some Tire Recommendations