Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter projects 2012 – S/C installation, Interior rebuild etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 08:46 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

subscribed
Old 01-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

I took out the inner front fenders today and it looks like I will have some challenges fitting the water to air cooler in there.
On one side I have two oil coolers and on the other I have one oil cooler and the AC cooler... (I have the Cargraphic 3rd oil cooler).

Any ideas?
Old 01-28-2012, 02:06 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Can't you mount it to the inside of the tail? Much less plumbing required.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
Can't you mount it to the inside of the tail? Much less plumbing required.
There is plenty of space inside the tail, so it is possible. However, I think there is a reason for mounting it up front; The airflow in the front is much much better than trying to get that air into the engine space. It might work with a GT2CS type tail with the intakes on the side but I doubt it will work with my tail...
Old 01-28-2012, 06:15 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Juha,

Fit the air-water-radiators in front of the oil cooler and/or ac condenser. It fits there really well!!!

Better if you have two radiators on both side. Check out "haygeebaby" install.

Here is my aftermarket radiator on the AC side. The oil cooler side has the TPC radiator.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:19 PM
axl911
Drifting

Ooops...didn't see the details about you having extra oil coolers.

You can fit the tpc coolers in your 3.8 tail. I recalled someone on this list has done so.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:26 PM
axl911
Drifting

Bobesser installed the radiator on his RS wing.

Last edited by axl911; 04-04-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:50 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Putting a GT3/Boxster centre rad across the front might be an option.

Marc
Old 01-29-2012, 11:35 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

After some time with this, I decided that this is the best way to install the cooler.
The TPC is not good because first of all you will not get same air flow trough it as if you install it right next to the oil cooler.
Of course this will have some negative effect on the oil cooler but it should be quite minimal, and that is not the only oil cooler in the system.
Secondly, when installed according to TPC's instructions, it will be close to impossible to get the air out of the system. The cooler is upside down and there is no aerator valve on it. When the connections are facing upwards, I can just loosen one of them a bit to let the air out.
It is possible that you end up using only 1/3 of the cooler core if you can't get all the air out. (imagine the air been stuck in the upper 2/3 of the cooler with nowhere to go).

Last edited by Juha G; 02-01-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:29 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

This is how I ran my hoses.
You will have to make a cut in the wheel well housing so the pipes can pass through.
I have 2 heat exchanges on the left side of the car - with the AC heat exchange in the middle of both heat exchanges.

This pic shows the first setup I had - single heat exchange. Later on I daisy chained the hose to include another heat exchange.

I have often thought about optimizing the heat exchange setup. Like you I have no space for a 2nd-ary oil cooler now.
The only option I can think of is dead center front spoiler. But the heat exchange unit has to be matched to the size the does not block or hinder cool air flowing to both left and right sides.

The other option was to go with RS ducts at the front and funnel the air with some piping directly to the exchange exchange - one for oil and the other to the chargecooler heat exchange. I think this will be a mod I will do soon.

One thing I would do is go a bigger pump. Not sure what the TPC kit has with it - but I found going to the bigger unit made a big difference in the systems efficiency in keeping the liquid cool. I also used water wetter in the fluid mix.

Mounting the heat exchange in the top inner spoiler area would be a good idea as well if you had a fixed spoiler. I think some olf RUF cars also had this configuration. This would also save weight in the closed system chargecooler setup.

Last edited by haygeebaby; 11-09-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:51 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Wow - how come you have 3 oil coolers Juha? Are you tracking this car?

Perhaps losing a heat exchange for the oil and putting the chargecooler heat exchange in the left side would be a acceptable tradeoff.

Another tip - when you run the hoses to the rear of the car - run one to the left and the other to the right side. Just look around to find a logical path for the hose.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:57 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

For the 12v for the pump - I used the power from the rear window demister. The **** is always pulled out now. I never use the demister anyway - this 12v source for the pump worked well for me.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:00 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by haygeebaby
Wow - how come you have 3 oil coolers Juha? Are you tracking this car?

Perhaps losing a heat exchange for the oil and putting the chargecooler heat exchange in the left side would be a acceptable tradeoff.

Another tip - when you run the hoses to the rear of the car - run one to the left and the other to the right side. Just look around to find a logical path for the hose.
Yes, the car has been 80% track 20% street. However, since I got into racing a couple of years ago, I don't do so much track day events anymore. More like random outings.

I know the SC is not the ideal solution for track use but I will take things slowly and use the logging ability of the Motec to watch out for rising IATs.

Thanks for the tips about running the hoses. I removed the underbody panelling and now the routing is quite clear to me.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by haygeebaby
One thing I would do is go a bigger pump. Not sure what the TPC kit has with it - but I found going to the bigger unit made a big difference in the systems efficiency in keeping the liquid cool.
TPC uses a smaller Hella unit.

FrozenBoost sell a nice Bosch Cobra unit that has good reviews online but it only flows 317 gph.

Best might be a Meziere pump that flows 1200 gph.

Marc
Old 01-29-2012, 09:56 PM
Oz-ATL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

up front is ideal.... front left on mine.

Quick Reply: Winter projects 2012 – S/C installation, Interior rebuild etc.