Sponsored by:

Mystery Velcro Fitted To New Luggage Compartment

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Cristel993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery Velcro Fitted To New Luggage Compartment

I recently fitted new black luggage compartment carpet which I bought from an official Porsche dealer. The pile of the carpet is much deeper than the thin grey carpet that was fitted originally and because it's black, matches my interior carpet.

Strangely, there are two squares of the soft half of Velcro stitched to the visible side of the carpet, which don't seem to serve any purpose and are mounted in a way that makes no sense. My old grey carpet doesn't have Velcro fitted to the visible side and I haven't seen it on another car.

The dealer has asked Porsche in Germany what the Velcro is for and to check if other new carpets have the same Velco fitted. They haven't had a response yet but Porsche are checking and said that they will come back with an answer soon.

To be honest, I don't really want it there, but don't want to take it off incase I find it's damaged underneath. The dealer might then not accept a return if I've removed the Velcro.

In the meantime, does anyone have an idea of what the Velcro is there for?!?

Old 10-17-2011, 11:12 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Both my '95 cabs have corresponding velcro attached to the inner fender. that's where carpet hooks up to the side of the car.

I don't think that '96+ cars with grey carpet had that.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:13 AM
pingwrx
Advanced

I believe that is for cabriolet wind deflector storage. Not sure if there's a different part number for a coupe and a cab.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:35 AM
Cristel993
Instructor

Many thanks for your responses guys.

Originally Posted by nile13
Both my '95 cabs have corresponding velcro attached to the inner fender. that's where carpet hooks up to the side of the car.

I don't think that '96+ cars with grey carpet had that.
If the corresponding Velcro on your car is on the inner fender, why is the Velcro on the outside of the carpet that I have (so it wouldn't connect with the inner fender Velcro)?

Originally Posted by pingwrx
I believe that is for cabriolet wind deflector storage. Not sure if there's a different part number for a coupe and a cab.
OK makes sense, I'll check to see if there's a different part number.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:02 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wait a sec. So it's facing outside? I did not realize this. I was referring to the inside velcro squares.

If this velcro strips are for cab wind deflector... I don't have any corresponding strips on either the deflector itself, nor on zippered bag that deflector goes into.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:24 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pingwrx
Yep!

Wait a sec. So it's facing outside? I did not realize this. I was referring to the inside velcro squares.

If this velcro strips are for cab wind deflector... I don't have any corresponding strips on either the deflector itself, nor on zippered bag that deflector goes into.
The bag for my wind deflector has the hook side to the velcro matching to the liner.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:24 PM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cristel: Does this come in all interior colors? If so, what is the part #.

The black looks nice!
Old 10-17-2011, 02:51 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I have 2 velcro strips that face towards the inside of the trunk that matches up to the 2 velcro strips on my storage bag for the wind deflector.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:53 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good info, guys! I have to look at my storage bag again (never used it).
Old 10-17-2011, 04:23 PM
Cristel993
Instructor

Originally Posted by BSL
Yep!

The bag for my wind deflector has the hook side to the velcro matching to the liner.
Ok cool, do you know the part number for the Coupe version? I can only see versions for different size fuel tanks and CD player or no CD player on the UK PET.

Originally Posted by 600RR
Cristel: Does this come in all interior colors? If so, what is the part #.

The black looks nice!
Only black is listed in the PET but Type 911 in the UK do OEM quality in most colours.

Good info, guys! I have to look at my storage bag again (never used it).
Old 10-17-2011, 06:06 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cristel993
Ok cool, do you know the part number for the Coupe version? I can only see versions for different size fuel tanks and CD player or no CD player on the UK PET.

Only black is listed in the PET but Type 911 in the UK do OEM quality in most colours.
Not sure there is a separate part. I replaced my liner with one from a coupe, and if I am not mistaken, the velcro loops are there (will check this evening to verify).
Old 10-18-2011, 04:31 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

There is only one carpet, for coupes, cabs, targas (apart from sound option & tank size as mentioned)

The color change from "dark grey" to "black" will be a supplier issue, Porsche "black" changed in the late 90's

Quick Reply: Mystery Velcro Fitted To New Luggage Compartment