Cab wind deflector 1995

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 08:13 PM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cab wind deflector 1995

I've been searching the threads.....

Got the headliner fixed....high end local interior guy glued it back for 20 bucks and gave me a tour of his shop....amazing work! Doug Burns here in Southern Oregon, he is third generation doing this!

On to my issue, the drivers side of the cabriolet wind deflector is suddenly loose....nothing looks bent.....I took it off, someone said there is a spring on one thread......I can't find a picture of what it is supposed to look like....

Anyone have a link?

New (old) wheels arrived!, but I'm out of town
Old 10-15-2011, 08:30 PM
HD97
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the little ball thing the red clip goes on to see if it is tight Mine was loose today same symptom.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:39 PM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

I'll have a look when I get home!
Old 10-16-2011, 07:22 PM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Default Wind deflector revisited

Not the little ball thing, that's nice and snug.

First picture is the clip that attaches to the ball on the support on the roof. That clip, with the red locking lever has a LOT of mobility...it doesn't just rotate around the center pin, it also moves about 30% "off parallel" to the bar to which it is attached. I'm not sure that's ok.

It looks as if its attached and the screw attaching it is looks a bit mangled.

The second picture is of the post on the right side of the wind deflector which inserts into the mounting point. It looks a bit chewed up.

help?
Attached Images   

Last edited by pegdrag; 10-16-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:38 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Both things look normal to me (i just went down and looked at mine). Red clip is supposed to be very mobile.

Can you describe what seems loose? Maybe take a pic of the driver's side attached to the car?
Old 10-16-2011, 08:52 PM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Default Cab Wind Deflector Loose

Hopped in the car to take it to the shop and raised the roof....the wind deflector fell out of the insertion point and was held on only by the red clip! It fell from the drivers side....I re-inserted it and it fell out again when I moved the roof....

sigh....the deflector itself looks fine. Neither of the insertion points look abnormal.....except that the mounting bracket has some light score lines on it as seen in the photo below.

Everything seems tight.....I must not be seeing something.

Note that the tonneau snap is broken off at the mid right of the photo....nothing to do with this issue.
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2011, 10:05 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

waaaaait a second there, LeRoy. Do you see the red button there above the hole? The wind deflector need to click in place and the only way to release it is to press this button.

So, do this. Put the deflector in on the passenger side first. Then insert on the driver's side. Do not attached red clip. Move toward the driver side until you hear a click. Then attach the red clip. See what happens.

There's another thing. The deflector can be hidden under the roof lining when the roof is up.

If you have any problems doing this or visualizing, all me at 508-FourSevenNine-Mike.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:31 AM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

sigh...it never clicked.....it didn't move.....double sigh....bet it was not aligned.....I feel dumb...can we delete the thread now? Bet youngest was out there pushing buttons.....

thanks
Old 10-17-2011, 01:40 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

So, is it clicked in place and staying there now?

Just for info purposes, you know that you can fold the flap over the other way, zipper it and have the deflector stay securely between the lining and the roof without brushing over your head?

PS. Don't feel dumb. I've asked simpler questions. Most of us had. p-cars are not the most obvious to deal with sometimes. At least you knew where the ignition was
Old 10-17-2011, 01:54 AM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

No, it is not latching......the button never drops...unless I'm not understanding. Removed the bracket to look at it....if the metal "button" is supposed to drop into the groove
In the wind deflector, it is not....
Old 10-17-2011, 01:59 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don;t think it's really supposed to drop, at least not visibly. But as you move the deflector from passenger's to driver's side it makes a pretty distinct click.

I can play with mine more tomorrow to be more specific. But that's the way it should operate.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:09 AM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Broken then.....I presume one aligns the red arrows....pushes it in and gets the click....the end of the deflector...the one on the drivers side has nothing holding it....the metal "button" never engages the slot in the wind deflector bar.

Am I being clear and is my understanding correct?
Old 10-17-2011, 02:11 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

You are clear. I'll look at mine tomorrow and see what's going on. I assume there's some spring mechanism to that red button internally and that's what might be missing, we'll see.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:17 AM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Yes, the end of the deflector has too much play! Thank you for the help! I suspect there is something "missing" inside the mounting bracket....a spring????

Last edited by pegdrag; 10-17-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:54 PM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Default Left bracket photo...

Mike is going to look at this for me, but does anyone have a photo INTO the drivers side support bracket for the wind deflector mounting point.....I'm betting that there is some "mechanism" in there....

I can find external parts lists and even external pictures of the support bracket....but not an internal photo

These are photo's taken with the bracket off the car...into the bracket....

(Gad, we are interested in arcane junk aren't we? Where else can I post a picture of a mounting bracket for a wind deflector and be assured of an audience? The part is even pretty in its own way, isn't it?)
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Cab wind deflector 1995